    round this simple calculation. Any help is appreciated and, of course, the
    formula that I should use in the future :)

    Bev
    Chris, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Chris

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:28:33 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Chris"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to work out how many pages a cartridge would print at 100%
    >coverage. For 5% coverage it's 310 pages. My brain just cannot seem to get
    >round this simple calculation. Any help is appreciated and, of course, the
    >formula that I should use in the future :)

    5% = 1/20, so 310/20 = 15.5 pages at 100%.

    That is to say if a given color's cartridge will print 310 pages at 5%
    coverage, if you covered the entire page with that color, the cartridge
    would last for 15.5 pages.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Many thanks, I did get that figure at one point... honestly.

    Thanks again.

    Bev

    Chris, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Chris

    Ken Davey Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to work out how many pages a cartridge would print at 100%
    > coverage. For 5% coverage it's 310 pages. My brain just cannot seem to

    get
    > round this simple calculation. Any help is appreciated and, of course,

    the
    > formula that I should use in the future :)
    >
    > Bev

    In this case;
    5/100 x 310 = 15 pages at 100% coverage.

    Ken.
    Ken Davey, Aug 31, 2003
  5. Chris

    technogeek Guest

    Consider you probably don't print with 100% coverage. All four inks
    completely covering the page would be pretty messy!
    technogeek, Sep 3, 2003
  6. Chris

    wolfb Guest

    Hi "geek". Your subject line is interesting, but it's your statement that I
    don't understand. I print 100% coverage on my photos...but I'm sure this is
    not what you mean. To further the thread, I just got a Canon i560 at Sam's
    for $99.95 (sweet deal considering Worst Buy has them for $129.99). The
    complete set of carts including 2 extra size blacks is $49.95 (5 carts
    total). That's 1/2 the cost the printer which comes with a complete set of
    full carts to begin with. So here is what I'm saying...you buy a 3rd party
    refill kit, good for about 3-5 refills. Burn through the refill kit then go
    out and buy a new printer. You're money ahead. The day is coming when they
    will give printers away, you just have to buy the ink. BTW I've printed
    about 50 full color 4x6's and the most consumed color (yellow) is only about
    1/5 gone. At that rate the retail cost for a print is $0.20 in ink and what
    ever you spend for photo paper. If you refill your cost is only about $0.02
    per print + paper. That is easily competative with Wal-Mart and I print
    Butts.
    YMMV
    Wolf-==-
    wolfb, Sep 3, 2003
  7. Chris

    Bill Guest

    technogeek wrote:

    >"wolfb" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi "geek". Your subject line is interesting, but it's your statement
    >> that I don't understand. I print 100% coverage on my photos...but I'm
    >> sure this is not what you mean. . . .

    >100% coverage would covering every speck of paper with ink. You wouldn't
    >want to cover the paper with all four colors at the highest density.
    >Printing uses a dithering process where the dots are spaced to provide the
    >color and density your picture requires.

    To figure out photo ink costs, you simply print a bunch of pages of
    photos using full cartridges until they run out, and then figure out how
    many photos you get from a set. Add the costs of paper and go from
    there.

    For photos, it costs me about 25 cents per print. For text, it costs
    about 2 cents per page, and about 5 cents for colour.

    See the thread "cost of printing?" for more details.
    Bill, Sep 4, 2003