    Thanks for your help..

    --
    Bill
    WeeWilly, Aug 31, 2006

  2. WeeWilly

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:25:54 -0700, "WeeWilly" <> wrote:

    >Hi folks.. need some advice.. I have a late model PC with Win XP and OE
    >w/latest updates.
    >
    >I recently added AVG.. and I still have McAfee on board

    Why? McAfee is a resource hog.

    >Since adding AVG.. two things I have noticed that are 'strange'...
    >
    >1. Downloads on OE are very slow
    >2. When I open OE items download to my Inbox OK.. but, when I click on a
    >newsgroup I get a message that say I'm working offline.. do I want to try
    >again.. I click on Try Again.. and messages download
    >
    >Weird.. but, any ideas? Could AVG and McAfee be conflicting? Is McAfee a
    >resource hog? Which of the two should I get rid of? Why?

    You have two AV's running. Remove one of them. I suggest you keep AVG.
    Evan Platt, Aug 31, 2006

  3. WeeWilly

    Roy Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks.. need some advice.. I have a late model PC with Win XP and OE
    > w/latest updates.
    >
    > I recently added AVG.. and I still have McAfee on board
    >
    > Since adding AVG.. two things I have noticed that are 'strange'...
    >
    > 1. Downloads on OE are very slow
    > 2. When I open OE items download to my Inbox OK.. but, when I click on a
    > newsgroup I get a message that say I'm working offline.. do I want to try
    > again.. I click on Try Again.. and messages download
    >
    > Weird.. but, any ideas? Could AVG and McAfee be conflicting? Is McAfee a
    > resource hog? Which of the two should I get rid of? Why?
    >
    > Thanks for your help..
    >
    > --
    > Bill

    Install EWIDO along with AVG. Look at the task manager cpu column to
    determine which process is using the most cpu%
    Roy, Aug 31, 2006
  4. WeeWilly

    thanatoid Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in

    > Hi folks.. need some advice.. I have a late model PC with
    > Win XP and OE w/latest updates.
    >
    > I recently added AVG.. and I still have McAfee on board
    >
    > Since adding AVG.. two things I have noticed that are
    > 'strange'...
    >
    > 1. Downloads on OE are very slow
    > 2. When I open OE items download to my Inbox OK.. but,
    > when I click on a newsgroup I get a message that say I'm
    > working offline.. do I want to try again.. I click on Try
    > Again.. and messages download
    >
    > Weird.. but, any ideas? Could AVG and McAfee be
    > conflicting? Is McAfee a resource hog? Which of the two
    > should I get rid of? Why?
    >
    > Thanks for your help..

    You should never run two or more firewalls or active anti-virus
    scanners at once. It's sometimes a good idea to read the
    instructions.

    And all active firewalls and a-v scanners are somewhat of a
    resource-hog.

    If you do a scan of everything you download /after/ a session,
    and never click on ANYTHING in the least suspect while online,
    you can /probably/ turn off the virus scanner while you're
    online. This is not for beginners, though. There's a little more
    to it than I am willing to go into at the moment.

    If you don't use MS IE/OE, that's the best virus/trojan
    protection right there. But since the MS marketing geniuses have
    managed to convince/strongarm EVERYONE into using it, as well as
    MS Office, that's why there's new a-v or firewall software
    appearing every week. AT least someone besides MS is getting
    rich off everybody's paranoia.
    thanatoid, Aug 31, 2006