Working Holiday in the UK - IT Work

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lonney, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Lonney

    Lonney Guest

    Hi,

    My Sister is going to the UK for a working holiday quite soon. She's
    quite keen on the idea of us going together, my self I'm 24, single,
    got quite a bit of money saved.. have been in the same job for 3 years
    and I'm thinking why the hell not? I have no reason to actually stay
    where I am and if I don't do it now I probably never will.

    I'm a Systems/Network Administrator of Windows and Unix systems in a
    company with about 1000 desktops and almost 2000 employees. I have 4+
    years experience in IT back end, PC repairs and sales, A+ and Network+
    certs.

    My question is, how hard is it to get IT work in London? Where do I
    even start looking, I'd like to have some sort of work lined up before
    I give my 4 weeks notice at my current job and leave nz.

    Anyone done this?

    Email me at if you can..

    Thanks

    Lonney.

    Lonney, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Lonney

    Rider Guest

    "Lonney" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My Sister is going to the UK for a working holiday quite soon. She's
    > quite keen on the idea of us going together, my self I'm 24, single,
    > got quite a bit of money saved.. have been in the same job for 3 years
    > and I'm thinking why the hell not? I have no reason to actually stay
    > where I am and if I don't do it now I probably never will.
    >
    > I'm a Systems/Network Administrator of Windows and Unix systems in a
    > company with about 1000 desktops and almost 2000 employees. I have 4+
    > years experience in IT back end, PC repairs and sales, A+ and Network+
    > certs.
    >
    > My question is, how hard is it to get IT work in London? Where do I
    > even start looking, I'd like to have some sort of work lined up before
    > I give my 4 weeks notice at my current job and leave nz.
    >

    > Anyone done this?
    >
    > Email me at if you can..
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Lonney.

    Apparently its easy. A mate of mine with bugger all experience of networks
    got a job as a network administrator paying 500 pounds a week. Seems they
    really like kiwi's.

    Rider

    Rider, Feb 2, 2004

  3. On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:07:55 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >"Lonney" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My Sister is going to the UK for a working holiday quite soon. She's
    >> quite keen on the idea of us going together, my self I'm 24, single,
    >> got quite a bit of money saved.. have been in the same job for 3 years
    >> and I'm thinking why the hell not? I have no reason to actually stay
    >> where I am and if I don't do it now I probably never will.
    >>
    >> I'm a Systems/Network Administrator of Windows and Unix systems in a
    >> company with about 1000 desktops and almost 2000 employees. I have 4+
    >> years experience in IT back end, PC repairs and sales, A+ and Network+
    >> certs.
    >>
    >> My question is, how hard is it to get IT work in London? Where do I
    >> even start looking, I'd like to have some sort of work lined up before
    >> I give my 4 weeks notice at my current job and leave nz.
    >>

    >> Anyone done this?
    >>
    >> Email me at if you can..
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> Lonney.

    >Apparently its easy. A mate of mine with bugger all experience of networks
    >got a job as a network administrator paying 500 pounds a week. Seems they
    >really like kiwi's.
    >
    >Rider

    .... maybe they're the only ones who think that GBP500/week is a lot of
    money to live in London ( just for comparison, my first contract was
    for GBP 525 and that was based in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1987 )! Just
    think dollars instead of pounds, and London's a lot more expensive to
    live in than Auckland. Even if you know of some magic method to get
    around paying tax...

    You may be lucky. I left the UK ( hopefully for good! ) just before
    christmas, and the IT market was just starting to come back o life
    after 3 or 4 years of nothing.

    Personally, I'd register with a few pimps and see where the work is. I
    met a lot of Antipodeans when I was working in Edinburgh last
    November, for example. They were enjoying themselves :)

    You are aiming for a skillset that is well catered for by UK
    residents, though. There's loads of work if you're not fussy, think of
    it as a career break, and enjoy yourself :)

    Good luck,

    Steve

    Steve Holdoway, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Lonney

    Lonney Guest

    To be honest I dont really care to much what I do for a job.

    Computers and Sys/net admin stuff is all I know and I do enjoy it, I know it
    well so I figure its my best bet for work.

    I'm not going there to try and make cash, I'm going to have some fun!!

    Antipodeans?

    Lonney, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Lonney

    nobody760 Guest

    Why London?

    I live in the UK, I would not live in London if you paid me a
    fortune. It is (in my opinion) an aggressive, money-grabbing soul-less,
    unfriendly, expensive and frenetic place. Ok, I realise that most young
    people want to see London. I indeed go to London every now and then because,
    yes, there are so many, many things of historical and cultural interest, but
    to live - NO. It seems that most young people from the Southern hemisphere
    think that the UK is London, or more precisely Earls Court!

    So by all means come to the UK but widen your horizons and indeed
    your chances of employment by not focusing only on London.

    nobody760, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Lonney

    Lonney Guest

    Lonney, Feb 2, 2004
  7. On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:09:04 +1300, "Lonney" <>
    wrote:

    >To be honest I dont really care to much what I do for a job.

    >Computers and Sys/net admin stuff is all I know and I do enjoy it, I know it
    >well so I figure its my best bet for work.
    >
    >I'm not going there to try and make cash, I'm going to have some fun!!

    Then enjoy the weather (!) and have a great time. Just PLEASE don't
    get stuck in London. The real places start just outside there :)

    >Antipodeans?

    People who come from the antipodes... the other side of the world.

    Middle English, people with feet opposite ours, from Latin, from
    Greek, from pl. of antipous, with the feet opposite : anti-, anti- +
    pous, pod-, foot; see ped- in Indo-European Roots

    hth,

    Steve

    Steve Holdoway, Feb 2, 2004
  8. Lonney

    Mark Guest

    Mark, Feb 2, 2004
  9. On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:00:41 -0800, Lonney wrote:

    > My question is, how hard is it to get IT work in London? Where do I
    > even start looking, I'd like to have some sort of work lined up before
    > I give my 4 weeks notice at my current job and leave nz.

    There are layoffs happening all over the UK according to the IT websites.

    You could start at userfriendly.org or theregister.co.uk. Both of them
    have IT search engines.

    Mainland europe is a much nicer social environment IMO and it isn't that
    hard to learn other languages.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Feb 2, 2004
  10. Lonney

    Jax Guest

    > My Sister is going to the UK for a working holiday quite soon. She's
    > quite keen on the idea of us going together, my self I'm 24, single,
    > got quite a bit of money saved.. have been in the same job for 3 years
    > and I'm thinking why the hell not? I have no reason to actually stay
    > where I am and if I don't do it now I probably never will.
    >
    > I'm a Systems/Network Administrator of Windows and Unix systems in a
    > company with about 1000 desktops and almost 2000 employees. I have 4+
    > years experience in IT back end, PC repairs and sales, A+ and Network+
    > certs.
    >
    > My question is, how hard is it to get IT work in London? Where do I
    > even start looking, I'd like to have some sort of work lined up before
    > I give my 4 weeks notice at my current job and leave nz.

    Mate, its not as easy as people are making out. I was in same boat as
    you, same skill set except not such big networks. Geting work here is
    *hard* I have two or three other IT mates here and the story is the
    same. Having said that I am doing IT currently but the pay is rubbish.
    You'd prob be able to pick *sometihng* up.

    As for the other guy dissing London?!? London is so much fun I cant
    believe it (been here 7 mths)

    Feel free to email me if u want to know more: matt_778 at yahoo dot com

    Jax

    Jax, Feb 2, 2004
  11. Lonney

    Lonney Guest

    Your probably right, I have the same feelings about Auckland.

    How ever thats where some of my sisters friends live and have some
    work lined up for her etc, so its a good place to start. We both fully
    intend to travell around the UK and Europe - working holiday.

    I know the UK isnt London :)

    Thanks for your input

    Lonney, Feb 3, 2004
  12. Lonney

    Lonney Guest

    Hi, thanks for your input.

    Well as for London who can say, I dont like auckland much, but loved
    christchurch so you know how it goes. Our goal is to have some fun.

    your just the person I wanted to hear from thats there doing it or
    just been there and done it.

    Might drop ya a email later on from home.

    Cheers

    Lonney

    Lonney, Feb 3, 2004
  13. Lonney

    pbs Guest

    pbs, Feb 3, 2004
  14. On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:27:57 +0000, Jax <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >As for the other guy dissing London?!? London is so much fun I cant
    >believe it (been here 7 mths)

    Get out more and you'll see what I mean. But then again the grass is
    always greener. 33 years in the uk, 10 in the Netherlands and 1 in
    Norway ( where it rains a lot! ). Chch has been more fun that the lot
    after 2 months!

    As ever, my $0.02

    Steve

    Steve Holdoway, Feb 3, 2004
  15. Lonney

    Jax Guest

    >>As for the other guy dissing London?!? London is so much fun I cant
    >>believe it (been here 7 mths)

    > Get out more and you'll see what I mean. But then again the grass is
    > always greener. 33 years in the uk, 10 in the Netherlands and 1 in
    > Norway ( where it rains a lot! ). Chch has been more fun that the lot
    > after 2 months!
    >
    > As ever, my $0.02
    >
    > Steve

    Excuse me?? get out more? do you know me?

    Ive travelled extensively through UK, Europe, Asia incl India. As a
    matter of fact in 2 weeks I am going to Bath, I am doing running of the
    Bulls and a large eastern european trip later this year.

    MY 0.02p

    Jax, Feb 3, 2004
  16. Lonney

    Jax Guest

    Lonney wrote:
    > Hi, thanks for your input.

    No worries

    > Well as for London who can say, I dont like auckland much, but loved
    > christchurch so you know how it goes. Our goal is to have some fun.

    Yeah you'll have fun all right. I am from Auckland.. you'll miss it when
    your're here

    > your just the person I wanted to hear from thats there doing it or
    > just been there and done it.
    >
    > Might drop ya a email later on from home.

    Yeah cool, anytime.

    Jax, Feb 3, 2004
  17. Lonney

    Lonney Guest

    ;)

    I'm not from Auckland, have lived there - but am a Northlander, living in
    Whangarei at the moment.

    Lonney, Feb 4, 2004
  18. Lonney

    pbs Guest

    Steve Holdoway wrote:
    > On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:07:55 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Lonney" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>My Sister is going to the UK for a working holiday quite soon. She's
    >>>quite keen on the idea of us going together, my self I'm 24, single,

    [snip]
    >>>My question is, how hard is it to get IT work in London? Where do I

    [snip]
    >>>Email me at if you can..

    [snip]
    > ... maybe they're the only ones who think that GBP500/week is a lot of
    > money to live in London ( just for comparison, my first contract was
    > for GBP 525 and that was based in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1987 )! Just
    > think dollars instead of pounds, and London's a lot more expensive to
    > live in than Auckland. Even if you know of some magic method to get
    > around paying tax...

    Cost of Living: "Indoors" owns a 1 bed flat in South London
    (docklands), near Canada Water Tube station. "A drum dahn Saff of The
    Wiva alwight init?" It is currently rented for 195 quid a week. BTW if
    you rent a flat and it is left empty at regular times each day, do not
    rent one on the ground floor!

    http://www.londonslang.com/
    http://www.thevalkyrie.com/clubhouse/cockney/index.htm
    http://www.multimap.com/ http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
    http://www.londontransport.co.uk/tfl/

    TAX!! You will here a lot about "IR35" ("Inland Revenue press release
    35" part of the UK 2000 Budget) when you try to get IT contract work in
    the UK. You will need to speak to a clued up accountant, because, as you
    are neither domiciled or ordinary resident in the UK, the provisions of
    IR35 most likely do not apply to you. The trouble is that most agencies
    and potential clients will not be used to dealing with none UK domiciled
    people and so may not be aware of this: http://www.mikelewis.co.uk/faq.html

    pbs, Feb 4, 2004
  19. Lonney

    nobody760 Guest