workgroup to a domain

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by scott, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. scott

    scott Guest

    I wouldn't ask this sort of question, but I was told some
    coworkers had a problem in the past when they added an
    Active Directory server to a workgroup of about 15
    Windows 2000 workstations. They said that users profiles
    (local on each system) on the peer to peer workgroup were
    either overwitten or deleted when the AD Server was added
    and the workgroup was upgraded to a domain. I'm not sure
    exactly what happened because I wasn't involved in this.
    However, I am faced with the same task now where we are
    taking another standalone workgroup (no access to the
    Internet) and adding two Win2k AD Servers and upgrading
    to a domain. I will/have created domain accounts for all
    the users in AD using the same logon name they use when
    they logon locally to each workstation. I guess they
    will have a totally different desktop and profile on each
    system the logon to when they start logging onto the
    domain since they will have totally new/different SIDs
    won't they? Is there any want allow them to use there
    current profile and desktop setting for their new domain
    profile?

    Sorry for the lengthy list.

    Thanks,

    Scott

    scott, Jan 21, 2004

  2. scott

    ajs1976 Guest

    The domain user account and the local account of the PC that is used with the workgroup are different accounts. Even if they have the same user name. After setting up the domain, log on with the new user account. Then log on as admin. Under documents and settings folder, you will see two folders for the user. One for "Username" , the local user, and one for "Username.domain" , the domain user. User Profiles and the System applet, grant the new user access to the old users profile, and then copy the old users profile over top of the new users profile. You have to be logged into the PC as a third user to do this.

    I would test this out on a demo/test account first. Some apps / settings, may still need to be corrected.

    ajs1976, Jan 21, 2004

  3. scott

    wolfgang Guest

    Yes in order to save their current profile you should
    export their profile from their systems to the domain in a
    directory to hold their profiles( you choice here)then put
    in their user profile where to find the profile.

    wolfgang, Jan 26, 2004