    work.
    Help please -I have re installed the workgroup many times, latest drivers
    for my hardware etc etc.

    Squeezy, Sep 6, 2006

  2. Usually you need to restart the machine for both OS's to become visible to
    each other. Also, ensure there are no conflicting IP Addresses or apply
    static IP Addresses to both machines if there aren't any. This is how my x86
    laptop and x64 desktop are setup:

    x86: 192.168.255.1
    x64: 192.168.255.2

    After doing this I was able to see and access both machines shared
    resources.
    --
    http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006

  3. Squeezy

    Squeezy Guest

    Thanks but both Pc's are connected to a small hub and using my ISP's DHCP.
    all checks out correctly - addresses , pings etc;
    The 32 bit machine can see its shares on the workgroup but the 64bit PC can
    just see the workgroup hub and none of its own shares etc etc;

    Squeezy, Sep 6, 2006
  4. I can't see how your "ISP's" DHCP should be affecting you from accessing
    local shares. I understand if its specific to sharing the Internet with the
    x64 machine, but not the shared folders. Make sure that Simple File Sharing
    is not turned on, open Control Panel > Folder Options > View (tab) > unde
    "Advanced settings:" scroll down and make sure that Simple File Sharing is
    unchecked.

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 6, 2006
  5. check to make sure that both "file and print sharing for Microsoft Networks"
    and Client for Microsoft networks are checked under the NICs properties. And
    make sure that the Windows Firewall has an exception for File and Printer
    Sharing.

    In general, I hate having this turned on for a situation where you're
    depending on a consumer grade router to be your firewall.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2006