    that is attached to the desktop. I have file and printer sharing enabled on
    both and the printer has a share name.
    I appreciate your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?VHk=?=, Aug 3, 2005

  2. I should also add that the laptop can see itself. Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?VHk=?=, Aug 3, 2005

  3. On the laptop, open a command prompt:

    ping DesktopName ENTER

    If you get an IP address, but the request times out; the Desktop firewall is
    blocking file and printer sharing and/or ICMP echo.

    If you get an echo response, then:

    On the laptop use the Add Printer wizard. Select Network Printer, but do
    not search for a printer; specify a printer name. The name of the printer
    is: \\DesktopName\PrinterShareName.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Aug 3, 2005
  4. Doug,
    I tried this along with the entire (ezlan) network setup again and I still
    cannot get access to the desktop. When I try to show the workgroup I get the
    following error: "mshome is not accessible. you might not have permissions
    to use this network resource, contact your administrator.... The list of
    servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

    I can still see the laptop from the desktop and get get access to its file
    but not vice versa. The laptop can see itself.

    =?Utf-8?B?VHk=?=, Aug 4, 2005
  5. OK, it's time to start eliminating possibilities:

    1. On the Desktop - if you are running SP2, make sure the firewall has an
    exception for file and printer sharing. If the machine is SP1 or earlier,
    disable the firewall. Uninstall any third party firewalls or security
    software.

    2. On the desktop create a new user account with exactly the same user name
    and password you use to log onto the laptop. It is not necessary to log
    onto the desktop with this account - just create it and reboot.

    3. Determine the IP address of the desktop - Start/Run cmd ENTER. ipconfig
    ENTER.

    4. On the laptop click Start/Run \\IPofDesktop ENTER - what happens?

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Aug 4, 2005
  6. FYI,
    During my network troubleshooting, I was checking my NIC configuration on my
    desktop to make sure that file and print sharing was enabled and realized
    that there is nothing installed, no clients, services, or protocols. When I
    try to install I got an error message that the file could not be found. I
    ran the update driver but this still didn't allow installation. This is
    strange because I get access to the internet. Is this possible? Could this
    be the reason my laptop cannot access the desktop? How I fix this? Can I
    delete and reinstall it?

    =?Utf-8?B?VHk=?=, Aug 4, 2005
  7. Doug,
    The machines can ping one another, teh user names and passwords are the same
    on each system. Config/all shows that IP routing and WINS proxy are not
    enabled.
    I need help getting the client, file & print share, and tcp/ip installed.
    Network wizard failed to install them. Thanks for your help

    =?Utf-8?B?VHk=?=, Aug 5, 2005