    firewall. I m also not using the Windows firewall.

    Any suggestions where I should start looking to solve the problem?

    Joe Parsons
    jmparsons3, Dec 7, 2009

  2. Can you ping each other by IP? If yes, can you ping each other by name? Also
    try clean boot for troubleshooting.
    Windows general
    How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
    with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone · How to setup and use Wake
    on LAN ...
    www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/windowsgeneral.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Dec 8, 2009

  3. jmparsons3

    jmparsons3 Guest

    On Dec 8, 6:41 am, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <>
    wrote:
    > Can you ping each other by IP? If yes, can you ping each other by name? Also
    > try clean boot for troubleshooting.
    > Windows general
    >       How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
    > with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone · How to setup and use Wake
    > on LAN ...
    >      www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/windowsgeneral.htm
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >
    > "jmparsons3" <> wrote in message

    > >I have just installed Windows7 on a clean partition of my computer. I
    > > have good wireless access to the internet, but I am suddenly no longer
    > > able to see the other computers in my wokgroup. I have checked the
    > > name of the computer and the workgroup name, and everything looks
    > > okay--I just can't see the other two computers in that workgroup.

    > > When I reboot to Vista on the same machine, everything is fine.

    > > I have McAfee anti Virus installed, but am not using the McAfee
    > > firewall. I m also not using the Windows firewall.

    > > Any suggestions where I should start looking to solve the problem?

    > > Joe Parsons- Hide quoted text -

    I can ping at least one of the computers on the network.
    Interestingly, there is another user who has just joined our company.
    I can see him, but not the others. Like me, he is running Win 7. The
    two other computers are running XP SP2.

    I was able to see the other computers on this system when I first
    started up, but they disappeared. When I reboot to the Vista
    partition, there is no problem.
    jmparsons3, Dec 8, 2009
  4. Are they in the same workgroup? Have you enable the NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
    Post the results of both windows 7 and XP ipconfig /all may help.

    --
    Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    http://www.HowToNetworking.com

    "jmparsons3" <> wrote in message

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Dec 9, 2009
  5. jmparsons3

    jmparsons3 Guest

    On Dec 9, 7:57 am, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <>
    wrote:
    > Are they in the same workgroup? Have you enable the NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
    > Post the results of both windows 7 and XP ipconfig /all may help.

    They are in the same workgroup. I don't know how to enable NetBIOS.

    Interestingly, I started the day with everything working fine--I could
    see the other computers just fine. Also, even though I am not able to
    see the other computers using Explorer, I have one application mappd
    to a network drive, and that still works.

    Here's the ipconfig for the Win 7 machine:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::99d9:b3ee:be4b:478a%12
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.10.100

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
    2001:0:4137:9e50:10e5:3c4f:f5fe:f59b
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::10e5:3c4f:f5fe:f59b%16
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

    Tunnel adapter isatap.{785FD3D4-4989-4D4A-B932-3795B4BC6EC2}:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Here it is for the XP machine:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    And now I can see the other computers again! I have made no changes in
    the configuraton of either systm!

    A mystery...any ideas?

    Joe Parsons

    jmparsons3, Dec 11, 2009
  6. I wish you gave us the whole TCP/IP result meaning the result of ipconfig
    /all instead ipconfig only. It seems to me the XP is multihomed computer
    that has two NICs. If you still have the same issue, disable one NIC.

    --
    Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    http://www.HowToNetworking.com