    chip, should I see any slowdown at all? Just wondering. I now let SETI run when
    I'm not doing anything else.
    , Sep 29, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I'm just wondering how much of a work load a P4 3.2 Ghz processor can take
    > before I see a significant slowdown. I run the SETI at Home program in the
    > background and if I check to see Performance under Windows Task Manager wjile
    > it's running, I see about 50-55% CPU usage. If I close down SETI, then the CPU
    > usage drops to anywhere from 1-3% if I Have nothing else open. But I also see a
    > noticeable speeding up of work if I open another program to use. I realize from
    > the numbers that SETI is using half my CPU (apparently), but with that fast a
    > chip, should I see any slowdown at all? Just wondering. I now let SETI run when
    > I'm not doing anything else.

    If it's taking up 50% of your CPU, I don't think the speed of the chip
    matters, it's going to slow it down on other things. I ran SETI for a
    while and switched over to letting it run as my screen saver, not
    running in the background. Never did find ET.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Shel-hed Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:17:49 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I'm just wondering how much of a work load a P4 3.2 Ghz processor can take
    >> before I see a significant slowdown. I run the SETI at Home program in the
    >> background and if I check to see Performance under Windows Task Manager wjile
    >> it's running, I see about 50-55% CPU usage.

    <Snip>

    <Chop>
    >Never did find ET.

    Bummer. I heard that if you found ET, you got a free Ipod.
    Shel-hed, Sep 30, 2005