Work Hard, Play Hard...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dudley Hanks, Feb 17, 2009.

  1. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Dudley Hanks, Feb 17, 2009

  2. Dudley Hanks

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul Furman, Feb 18, 2009

  3. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    news:DXYml.14103$...
    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >> So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?
    >>
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
    >> original)
    >>
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Playhard2.jpg
    >> (Fast-loading version)

    > Still could use some exposure compensation with the snow, like the hockey
    > pic.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Furman

    Yeah, I keep forgetting to use EC. My A720 tended to over-expose a bit, so
    I just shot normal exposure in snow and it worked out alright. The XSi's
    exposure is a lot more accurate, so I find myself having to use the EC
    feature more often.

    Also, when I had more sight, I tended to use the center weighted option. I
    could just take a reading off the subject, recompose and shoot. Once again,
    never used (or should I say, seldom used) EC much.

    Oh, well, after a few more shoots in snow and arenas, it'll be habitual.

    Thanks, Paul, for the tip.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Feb 18, 2009
  4. Dudley Hanks

    Paul Furman Guest

    Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    >> Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >>> So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
    >>> original)
    >>>
    >>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Playhard2.jpg
    >>> (Fast-loading version)

    >> Still could use some exposure compensation with the snow, like the hockey
    >> pic.

    > Yeah, I keep forgetting to use EC. My A720 tended to over-expose a bit, so
    > I just shot normal exposure in snow and it worked out alright. The XSi's
    > exposure is a lot more accurate, so I find myself having to use the EC
    > feature more often.
    >
    > Also, when I had more sight, I tended to use the center weighted option. I
    > could just take a reading off the subject, recompose and shoot. Once again,
    > never used (or should I say, seldom used) EC much.

    Center weighted, at least you know what's going to happen. The 3D matrix
    (or whatever Canon calls it) metering might even figure out you are
    looking at snow - mine knows when I'm shooting at night and underexposes
    to make it look like night time... which can be frustrating.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Feb 18, 2009
  5. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    > On 2/17/09 1:22 AM, in article ZAtml.12096$Db2.11309@edtnps83, "Dudley
    > Hanks" <> wrote:
    >
    >> So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?
    >>
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
    >> original)
    >>
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Playhard2.jpg
    >> (Fast-loading
    >> version)
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley
    >>

    > Pretty Puppy!
    >
    > What's his/her name?

    His name is Michener. He's not quite 2 years old, and his guide work is
    awesome.

    If you'd like to read a bit more about "Training With Mich," visit:
    http://blind-apertures.blogspot.com

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Feb 19, 2009
  6. Dudley Hanks

    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >> "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message

    >>> Still could use some exposure compensation with the snow, like the
    >>> hockey pic.

    >> Yeah, I keep forgetting to use EC. My A720 tended to over-expose a bit,
    >> so I just shot normal exposure in snow and it worked out alright. The
    >> XSi's exposure is a lot more accurate, so I find myself having to use the
    >> EC feature more often.
    >>
    >> Also, when I had more sight, I tended to use the center weighted option.
    >> I could just take a reading off the subject, recompose and shoot. Once
    >> again, never used (or should I say, seldom used) EC much.

    > Center weighted, at least you know what's going to happen. The 3D matrix
    > (or whatever Canon calls it) metering might even figure out you are
    > looking at snow - mine knows when I'm shooting at night and underexposes
    > to make it look like night time... which can be frustrating.

    Yes, it can be frustrating. Canon's "Evaluative" mode sometimes gets the
    snow thing right, sometimes it doesn't. I'm finding it useful to shoot some
    pics both with and without EC. That way, I get a few that are exposed
    properly.

    When the light is just right, I can sort of use Live View to get the image
    composed the way I want it. In those cases, I can use the spot metering
    mode to get a good exposure. I tend to avoid center weighted now, since it
    takes me too long to frame a shot.

    It's just going to take some practice. I'm already getting more good shots
    than I did a month or so ago.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Feb 19, 2009
  7. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Savageduck" <> wrote in message
    > On 2009-02-16 23:22:33 -0800, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> said:
    >
    >> So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?
    >>
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
    >> original)
    >>
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/Playhard2.jpg
    >> (Fast-loading
    >> version)
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley

    > Now that worked pretty good for a moving target, but the light was better.
    >
    > Here is what "Gypsy" does in her down time
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Gypsy.jpg
    > --

    Michener likes to sleep as well. In fact, according to his puppy-raiser, it
    was his favorite activity. Here in Edmonton, we've got a kennel set up for
    his house, and it's got a nice, thick cushioned pad as the floor.

    He spends a lot of time in there.

    My daughter loved the pic; now she wants to take one of Mich like that...

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Feb 20, 2009