Words occasionally dropped from closed captions

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by RL, May 30, 2006.

  1. RL

    RL Guest

    I recently purchased a Samsung DVD-R135 DVD recorder.

    When I record a program from TV on a DVD-RW disc and then play it back
    (with my TV set to display closed captions), the closed captions
    generally display OK, but I notice that occasionally a word or phrase
    is missing from the captions.

    I don't think this problem is due to a weak TV signal (I get DirecTV),
    because the problem does NOT occur when I watch programs directly on
    TV.

    If anyone has any idea what might be causing this problem, I would
    appreciate hearing from them.

    Robert Lawrence

    Please reply to this newsgroup only.
     
    RL, May 30, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RL

    Stan Brown Guest

    Tue, 30 May 2006 17:05:55 -0400 from RL <>:
    > When I record a program from TV on a DVD-RW disc and then play it back
    > (with my TV set to display closed captions), the closed captions
    > generally display OK, but I notice that occasionally a word or phrase
    > is missing from the captions.


    It's quite usual for whoever writes the closed captions to use
    shorter phrases than the ones the characters speak.

    --
    Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    DVD FAQ: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
    other FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/faqget.htm
     
    Stan Brown, May 31, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RL

    RL Guest

    The problem is not that the writer of the closed captions is using
    shorter phrases than the ones the characters speak.

    Perhaps I didn't make it clear in my original post, but some words and
    phrases that appear in the closed captions when I watch a given movie
    directly on TV will be missing when I record the very same movie on a
    DVD-RW disc and then play back the recording.

    Thus, my DVD recorder, or the DVD-RW disc, is dropping some words and
    phrases that do exist in the closed captioning.

    What I am trying to determine is whether this is a function of (i)
    which model or brand of DVD recorder is used to make the recording,
    (ii) which type of DVD recorder is used (mine records only on DVD-RW
    and DVD-R discs), (iii) how the DVD-RW disc is formatted (mine were
    formatted as DVD-RW(VR), but I plan to also try DVD-RW(V), or (iv)
    perhaps some other factor, such as a general limitation on the ability
    of existing DVD technology to faithfully reproduce closed captions on
    DVD recordings.

    While the captions that do come through on my DVD recordings are
    generally sufficient for me to understand what is going on (I am
    slightly hard of hearing), if I felt that another model or type of DVD
    recorder would do a better job with closed captions, I might return
    the Samsung and try another brand.

    Robert Lawrence

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 20:49:04 -0400, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    >Tue, 30 May 2006 17:05:55 -0400 from RL <>:
    >> When I record a program from TV on a DVD-RW disc and then play it back
    >> (with my TV set to display closed captions), the closed captions
    >> generally display OK, but I notice that occasionally a word or phrase
    >> is missing from the captions.

    >
    >It's quite usual for whoever writes the closed captions to use
    >shorter phrases than the ones the characters speak.



    Please reply to this newsgroup only.
     
    RL, May 31, 2006
    #3
  4. RL

    Tippi Guest

    RL wrote:
    > What I am trying to determine is whether this is a function of (i)


    > perhaps some other factor, such as a general limitation on the ability
    > of existing DVD technology to faithfully reproduce closed captions on
    > DVD recordings.


    what about recording mode? my LG record can record 1,2,4 or 6 hours on
    a disc. Maybe the best quality speed can preserve all the CC, or
    something like that. I've never looked at the CC on my LG so can't tell
    you if it makes a diff.
     
    Tippi, May 31, 2006
    #4
  5. "RL"<> wrote in
    news::

    > I recently purchased a Samsung DVD-R135 DVD recorder.
    >
    > When I record a program from TV on a DVD-RW disc and then play it back
    > (with my TV set to display closed captions), the closed captions
    > generally display OK, but I notice that occasionally a word or phrase
    > is missing from the captions.
    >
    > I don't think this problem is due to a weak TV signal (I get DirecTV),
    > because the problem does NOT occur when I watch programs directly on
    > TV.
    >
    > If anyone has any idea what might be causing this problem, I would
    > appreciate hearing from them.
    >
    > Robert Lawrence
    >
    > Please reply to this newsgroup only.
    >


    When you posted this note in at least two news groups, how does one know
    which to only post to.

    --
    Throckmorton P. Ruddygore
     
    Throckmorton P. Ruddygore, Jun 5, 2006
    #5
  6. RL

    RL Guest

    A fair point. But here I meant "Please don't reply to me directly."

    Robert Lawrence

    On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 03:34:14 GMT, "Throckmorton P. Ruddygore"
    <> wrote:

    >"RL"<> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> I recently purchased a Samsung DVD-R135 DVD recorder.
    >>
    >> When I record a program from TV on a DVD-RW disc and then play it back
    >> (with my TV set to display closed captions), the closed captions
    >> generally display OK, but I notice that occasionally a word or phrase
    >> is missing from the captions.
    >>
    >> I don't think this problem is due to a weak TV signal (I get DirecTV),
    >> because the problem does NOT occur when I watch programs directly on
    >> TV.
    >>
    >> If anyone has any idea what might be causing this problem, I would
    >> appreciate hearing from them.
    >>
    >> Robert Lawrence
    >>
    >> Please reply to this newsgroup only.
    >>

    >
    >When you posted this note in at least two news groups, how does one know
    >which to only post to.
     
    RL, Jun 6, 2006
    #6
  7. RL

    Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:58:54 -0400, "RL"<> wrote:

    >A fair point. But here I meant "Please don't reply to me directly."
    >
    >Robert Lawrence
    >
    >On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 03:34:14 GMT, "Throckmorton P. Ruddygore"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"RL"<> wrote in
    >>news::
    >>
    >>> I recently purchased a Samsung DVD-R135 DVD recorder.
    >>>
    >>> When I record a program from TV on a DVD-RW disc and then play it back
    >>> (with my TV set to display closed captions), the closed captions
    >>> generally display OK, but I notice that occasionally a word or phrase
    >>> is missing from the captions.
    >>>
    >>> I don't think this problem is due to a weak TV signal (I get DirecTV),
    >>> because the problem does NOT occur when I watch programs directly on
    >>> TV.
    >>>
    >>> If anyone has any idea what might be causing this problem, I would
    >>> appreciate hearing from them.
    >>>
    >>> Robert Lawrence
    >>>
    >>> Please reply to this newsgroup only.
    >>>

    >>
    >>When you posted this note in at least two news groups, how does one know
    >>which to only post to.


    You probably got child protection turned on and it removes cus words.
     
    , Jun 8, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. DJ
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    711
    Joshua Zyber
    Mar 2, 2004
  2. Paul Rubin
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    3,328
    Paul Rubin
    Apr 24, 2004
  3. Closed Captions

    , Jun 20, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    1,774
  4. BobT

    Closed captions on HDTV

    BobT, Dec 25, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,396
    Impmon
    Jan 4, 2005
  5. Ian Boag
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    972
    Craig Shore
    Feb 27, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page