Wordprocessor / Password storage Question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, May 12, 2014.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi folks, quick Q...

    I have a 'master file' of all of my passwords in the form of a
    password-protected Libre Office Writer document.

    I've been keeping backups all over the place - where ever I have private
    storage - as I'd be royally inconvenienced if I lost some of them. I copied
    the file to my cell phone's memory card a while back but now I'm wondering
    if that's wise. If I were to loose the fone... (Not that I've *ever* lost a
    cell fone <touches wood>.)

    So what do folks think? If it's laughably easy to rack (as I'm thinking it
    probably is) is there a better, light and user-friendly (free) option where
    I can just memorise one master password? One that doesn't need the machine
    that crearted it to access - maybe a portable app? Oh, and one that I can
    import my current data into as a text file as there are literally hundreds
    of passwords and sets of log-on info there, some less important that others
    but still.....

    TIA folks,
    --
    </Shaun>

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
    ~misfit~, May 12, 2014

  2. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2014-05-12, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Hi folks, quick Q...
    >
    > I have a 'master file' of all of my passwords in the form of a
    > password-protected Libre Office Writer document.
    >
    > I've been keeping backups all over the place - where ever I have private
    > storage - as I'd be royally inconvenienced if I lost some of them. I copied
    > the file to my cell phone's memory card a while back but now I'm wondering
    > if that's wise. If I were to loose the fone... (Not that I've *ever* lost a
    > cell fone <touches wood>.)
    >
    > So what do folks think? If it's laughably easy to rack (as I'm thinking it
    > probably is) is there a better, light and user-friendly (free) option where
    > I can just memorise one master password? One that doesn't need the machine
    > that crearted it to access - maybe a portable app? Oh, and one that I can
    > import my current data into as a text file as there are literally hundreds
    > of passwords and sets of log-on info there, some less important that others
    > but still.....

    KeePass and LastPass have got the Oz Techlife reccomended stamp of approval
    in the latest version.
    Gordon, May 12, 2014

  3. ~misfit~

    John Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks, quick Q...
    >
    > I have a 'master file' of all of my passwords in the form of a password-protected Libre
    > Office Writer document.

    What's wrong with two hard copies one close by and the backup
    under the matress? :)
    John, May 13, 2014
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs John wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi folks, quick Q...
    >>
    >> I have a 'master file' of all of my passwords in the form of a
    >> password-protected Libre Office Writer document.

    > What's wrong with two hard copies one close by and the backup
    > under the matress? :)

    Housefire? <touches wood>

    ~misfit~, May 14, 2014
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Hi folks, quick Q...
    >
    > I have a 'master file' of all of my passwords in the form of a
    > password-protected Libre Office Writer document.
    >
    > I've been keeping backups all over the place - where ever I have
    > private storage - as I'd be royally inconvenienced if I lost some of
    > them. I copied the file to my cell phone's memory card a while back
    > but now I'm wondering if that's wise. If I were to loose the fone...
    > (Not that I've *ever* lost a cell fone <touches wood>.)
    >
    > So what do folks think? If it's laughably easy to rack (as I'm
    > thinking it probably is) is there a better, light and user-friendly
    > (free) option where I can just memorise one master password? One that
    > doesn't need the machine that crearted it to access - maybe a
    > portable app? Oh, and one that I can import my current data into as a
    > text file as there are literally hundreds of passwords and sets of
    > log-on info there, some less important that others but still.....
    >
    > TIA folks,

    Thanks to all who answered; KeePass it will be then. I'll look into it.

    Much appreciated,

    ~misfit~, May 14, 2014
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > On 14/05/2014 8:07 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs John wrote:
    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> What's wrong with two hard copies one close by and the backup
    >>> under the matress? :)

    >> Housefire? <touches wood>
    >>

    > Seepage ;-!

    LOL!