    TIA

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    Shane, Apr 28, 2006

  2. Shane

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Blogging software
    > Requires
    > http://wordpress.org/about/requirements/
    > * PHP version 4.2 or greater
    > * MySQL version 3.23.23 or greater
    > and a webserver
    >
    > Why? Because I dont *do* web pages for some $deity only knows reason, and I
    > want to put all my gathered knowledge (Both paragraphs) together for ease
    > of reference, and in case someone else finds the site and gains from those
    > paragraphs (even if they are lessons in what not to do!)
    >
    > So.. any catches on this piece of software I should be aware of?
    > Any recommendations for *better* software?
    > TIA

    Recommendations, yes. Try the free Wordpress service
    (http://wordpress.com/), it is damn good. See if you like it. Also try
    blogger/blogspot (http://www.blogger.com/start) - which is more
    customisable I think - I've used both.

    No reason to bother with your own server until you get really serious.
    These services are extremely easy to use, and you can post to them from
    almost any platform - PDA, phone, email, web, RSS etc and all good
    reasons for using a publicly hosted server.

    Using RSS you can mix a couple of blogs in with your own photos on
    Flickr, your bookmarks on del.icio.us, files you store on openomy and
    god knows what else and you can present these all as one mashup on your
    own page on suprglu - for example http://rjhinde.suprglu.com/ which
    might look familiar to some :)
    -=rjh=-, Apr 29, 2006

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Blogging software
    >> Requires
    >> http://wordpress.org/about/requirements/
    >> * PHP version 4.2 or greater
    >> * MySQL version 3.23.23 or greater
    >> and a webserver
    >>
    >> Why? Because I dont *do* web pages for some $deity only knows reason, and
    >> I want to put all my gathered knowledge (Both paragraphs) together for
    >> ease of reference, and in case someone else finds the site and gains from
    >> those paragraphs (even if they are lessons in what not to do!)
    >>
    >> So.. any catches on this piece of software I should be aware of?
    >> Any recommendations for *better* software?
    >> TIA
    >>

    > Recommendations, yes. Try the free Wordpress service
    > (http://wordpress.com/), it is damn good. See if you like it. Also try
    > blogger/blogspot (http://www.blogger.com/start) - which is more
    > customisable I think - I've used both.
    >
    > No reason to bother with your own server until you get really serious.
    > These services are extremely easy to use, and you can post to them from
    > almost any platform - PDA, phone, email, web, RSS etc and all good
    > reasons for using a publicly hosted server.
    >
    > Using RSS you can mix a couple of blogs in with your own photos on
    > Flickr, your bookmarks on del.icio.us, files you store on openomy and
    > god knows what else and you can present these all as one mashup on your
    > own page on suprglu - for example http://rjhinde.suprglu.com/ which
    > might look familiar to some :)

    awesome ta :)

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    Shane, Apr 29, 2006
  4. Shane

    Shane Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Recommendations, yes. Try the free Wordpress service
    > (http://wordpress.com/), it is damn good. See if you like it. Also try
    > blogger/blogspot (http://www.blogger.com/start) - which is more
    > customisable I think - I've used both.
    >
    > No reason to bother with your own server until you get really serious.
    > These services are extremely easy to use, and you can post to them from
    > almost any platform - PDA, phone, email, web, RSS etc and all good
    > reasons for using a publicly hosted server.
    >
    > Using RSS you can mix a couple of blogs in with your own photos on
    > Flickr, your bookmarks on del.icio.us, files you store on openomy and
    > god knows what else and you can present these all as one mashup on your
    > own page on suprglu - for example http://rjhinde.suprglu.com/ which
    > might look familiar to some :)

    Well I downloaded and installed it onto my debian box, installation
    literally took 5 minutes (decompress the file, setup mysql database and
    user, put the folder where I want it (ie relevant to doc root), and then
    figure out why I was getting an error message "Your PHP installation
    appears to be missing the MySQL which is required for WordPress")
    After a bit of googling, people were saying that a line was missing from
    php.ini, regarding mysql, so I loaded php.ini into vi, searched for ysql
    and sure enough that line had been commented out, fix0red and restarted
    apache2, and error disappeared, install continued.

    Damn easy install... now I have to work out why I wanted it again!!!!
    :)
    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    Shane, Apr 29, 2006