    understand WTF is going on???

    Thanks for any help!
    David
    noodles@., Feb 23, 2011

  2. noodles@.

    Mike Easter Guest

    Your message was posted to 3 newsgroups, 2 of which I don't read. I'm
    posting my reply with followups to just the one newsgroup which I do
    read, alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt.

    I don't like to crosspost messages especially not into groups I don't read.

    noodles@. wrote:

    > I have a number of WordPad documents that are several years old on thumbdrives.

    You didn't say which version of WordPad the docs were created with or
    what extension you used. You also did not say which versions of Windows
    you were using when you used WordPad to create the documents, so I will
    make assumptions.

    I will assume that you used a version of WordPad which came with Win 95,
    98, Me, or Win2K and that you saved them as the default .doc extension.
    That format was consistent with Word for Windows v.6.0.

    > I used WordPad with the idea in mind that I would always be able to open them
    > with WordPad, not knowing the horrible truth that WordPad often will not open
    > WordPad documents. When I tried opening them with a later version PC at first I
    > would get a message like:
    >
    > Cannot open Word for Windows (something or other) documents.

    If you try to open such Word for Windows .doc files as described above
    with the WordPad in Win XP, you will get the alert.

    Cannot load Word for Windows 6.0 files

    You also didn't say what version of windows and wordpad you are using
    now, Windows XP, Vista, or Win7, and you didn't say what other
    application resources you have such as word processors, so I will assume
    none.

    > It seems that shouldn't apply to them, since they are WordPad documents not Word
    > documents. Since they have been on the computer for a while things are now
    > different. Now when I click on them they do open, but they show text only and
    > anything that's bold, underlined, and all pictures now show up as just squares
    > and different types of symbols. I'm afraid the computer has ruined them. If not,
    > can anyone tell me if there's a way to get them back the way I made them to
    > begin with, and get WordPad to open these WordPad documents? Or if WordPad won't
    > open these WordPad documents, is there a program that will? Can anyone help me
    > understand WTF is going on???

    You can open such .doc files as I have described with a word processor
    program such as MS Word which is not free, or Open Office which /is/ free.

    http://www.openoffice.org/

    MS has described a registry fix here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870883 you can add an
    EnableLegacyConverters registry entry that has a DWORD value of 1. To do
    this, follow these steps.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 23, 2011

  3. noodles@.

    Paul Guest

    noodles@. wrote:
    > I have a number of WordPad documents that are several years old on thumbdrives.
    > I used WordPad with the idea in mind that I would always be able to open them
    > with WordPad, not knowing the horrible truth that WordPad often will not open
    > WordPad documents. When I tried opening them with a later version PC at first I
    > would get a message like:
    >
    > Cannot open Word for Windows (something or other) documents.
    >
    > It seems that shouldn't apply to them, since they are WordPad documents not Word
    > documents. Since they have been on the computer for a while things are now
    > different. Now when I click on them they do open, but they show text only and
    > anything that's bold, underlined, and all pictures now show up as just squares
    > and different types of symbols. I'm afraid the computer has ruined them. If not,
    > can anyone tell me if there's a way to get them back the way I made them to
    > begin with, and get WordPad to open these WordPad documents? Or if WordPad won't
    > open these WordPad documents, is there a program that will? Can anyone help me
    > understand WTF is going on???
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > David

    I'm not a Word expert. I keep a Word Viewer on the machine. You might start
    with

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3657ce88-7cfa-457a-9aec-f4f827f20cac

    then the Compatibility pack to add later document capabilities.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

    After that, you'd do a manual Windows Update and check for security
    updates. Or visit the Microsoft download page and look for them.

    *******

    The purpose of using the Word Viewer, would be to see if the
    documents will render in their original form, or whether some
    Save you did along the way, modified them.

    I tried an experiment here. I created a document with an image in
    it, in WordPad. I tried viewing it in Word Viewer, and it rendered
    the same as in WordPad. The default document name my WinXP Sp3
    Wordpad created was "document.rtf".

    At least that might hint at whether they were "damaged" or not.

    Paul
    Paul, Feb 23, 2011
  4. noodles@.

    noodles@. Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:46:18 -0800, Mike Easter <> wrote:

    >Your message was posted to 3 newsgroups, 2 of which I don't read. I'm
    >posting my reply with followups to just the one newsgroup which I do
    >read

    That is extremely rude. Your rudeness screwed me over. You have to know it's
    rude and has the potential to screw people when you do it too. That being the
    way it is, it's amazing from my pov that you took the time to write anything
    helpful. This extra clutter of me reposting pretty much the same thing is YOUR
    fault for trying to be a net nanny over something that's none of your business.
    So your net nannying screwed me and restulted in more clutter in your own group.
    Good job I guess. Since there's no other reason for you to have done it, that
    must have been your intent.

    >I will assume that you used a version of WordPad which came with Win 95,
    >98, Me, or Win2K and that you saved them as the default .doc extension.
    >That format was consistent with Word for Windows v.6.0.

    .. . .
    >MS has described a registry fix here
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870883

    But they also warn us not to do it, and suggest we disable it when we're not
    using it if we do. They also say:

    "This problem occurs because WordPad's Rich Text Format (RTF) converters are
    disabled in Windows XP SP2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and Windows
    Server 2003 SP1. Therefore, .doc and .wri files that require an RTF converter
    cannot be opened by using WordPad."

    That brings up even more questions, like:

    1. did they make later versions of WordPad suck like this deliberately in the
    hopes of getting us to pay them for something else that doesn't suck?

    2. can we download earlier versions of WordPad and use that to open them?

    3. if we can use earlier versions of WordPad to open them, can we copy and paste
    the info into new documents made with the later version and have them work ok?

    4. why does having RTF converters disabled, have a negative influence with older
    WordPad documents but the new ones we make in the same way using the same
    program seem to do just fine?

    5. if we can and do start using an older version of WordPad, are we in danger of
    whatever it is they're concerned with when they suggest: "After you have
    finished using the RTF converter, we recommend that you turn off the
    EnableLegacyConverters registry entry." ?

    6. should we expect that future even lamer versions of WordPad are in the works
    so that we won't be able to open WordPad documents we make with current
    versions, with future versions of WordPad? If so, what should we use?

    7. should we expect to see advanced lameness versions of Note Pad in the future
    too, that won't open older Note Pad documents?
    noodles@., Feb 24, 2011
  5. noodles@.

    Kele Guest

    Does this help:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2239690_convert-rtf-file-ms-word.html ?

    http://www.officeviewers.com/ (check this for bugs)

    Something else to try... Win 7 - Right click the WordPad file(s) and mess
    with the OS compatibility.

    Kele, Feb 24, 2011