    If Word operates my wireless, can I remove Intel ProSet Wireless from my Dell
    Inspiron 6000? I no longer use Broadcom either, as I now co-habit a network
    with a Mac on an AirPort.
    GayeSF, Aug 1, 2008

  2. GayeSF

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Word has nothing to do with wireless. You need "Proset and
    Broadcom". Don't change anything.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Aug 1, 2008

  3. GayeSF

    smlunatick Guest

    On Aug 1, 7:54 am, GayeSF <> wrote:
    > If Word operates my wireless, can I remove Intel ProSet Wireless from my Dell
    > Inspiron 6000?  I no longer use Broadcom either, as I now co-habit a network
    > with a Mac on an AirPort.

    Word is a Word processor and has nothing to do with controlling you
    PC. It is Windows and it is important to keep Intel ProSet. Theses
    are to complete drivers for your Intel wireless adapter in your
    Dell.
    Broadcom is you other network adapter and is a wired style network.
    It also should be kept.
    smlunatick, Aug 1, 2008
  4. GayeSF

    John Guest

    Never heard of Word controlling wireless. Yours is the first.

    John, Aug 1, 2008
  5. Hi
    If you do not use the Dell Wireless Network any more you can disable the
    Wireless Network card.
    No need to remove any thing, if it disable it does not interfere with any
    thing and you never know when (if) you would need it again in the future.
    See the laptop manual on disabling the card.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 2, 2008
  6. GayeSF

    GayeSF Guest

    Well that's why it's good to ask these things. I thought the AirPort made
    the others obsolete, and I don't use the surfboard modem anymore and thought
    that's Broadcom. So thanks for keeping me from getting into a real mess.

    I'm having a problem with my HP Deskject 6980 printer, which is connected
    wirelessly, is taking about 30 seconds to a minute to process a print
    command. It doesn't sound long, but it's forever. I called the HP help
    desk, where a technician said the problem is that the printer (or the
    computer) looks for a previous Dell printer that no longer exists. Once it
    gets tired of looking for that one, it finally goes and looks for the current
    default HP printer. He didn't say how to fix this, if he knew. I've removed
    the only Dell program I could find, but it hasn't resolved the issue. Can
    anyone tell me how to make the computer/printer stop looking for it's lost
    printer, and just send immediately to its current HP mate?
    Thanks for the help.

    GayeSF, Aug 2, 2008
  7. GayeSF

    Barb Bowman Guest

    that isn't how printing works. if it takes 30-60 seconds it is
    indeed finding the correct printer. and it could take this long
    depending on the wireless connection speed and the wireless
    connection of the computer. and if both are wireless, both are a
    factor.

    and depending on what you are printing it could take that long to
    actually start to print as the data takes a while to get to the
    printer so it can print.

    what kind of wireless print adapter? wifi or bluetooth?

    Barb Bowman, Aug 2, 2008
  8. GayeSF

    GayeSF Guest

    When you hover the cursor over the object that looks like a little fan, or an
    object emitting waves, it says "Windows is currently managing this wireless
    device."

    GayeSF, Aug 4, 2008
  9. GayeSF

    GayeSF Guest

    Thank you.

    GayeSF, Aug 4, 2008
  10. Ah. You meant "Windows" not "Word". That makes more sense.

    As for removing Intel ProSet Wireless...you can probably remove their
    management app, but I don't know if you can remove that without also
    removing the driver (bad thing). Why do you need to remove it?

    --
    -Ben-
    Ben M. Schorr, MVP

    Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote), Aug 4, 2008
  11. GayeSF

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Gaye,
    there is no reason to remove anything. why are you even considering
    "removal"?

    Barb Bowman, Aug 4, 2008