    Windows 98 used to behave as XP does now.

    Thanks

    , Oct 18, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > Before a button would appear for each Word file open, in the task bar.
    >
    > Now, as with old versions, there is only one button in the task bar
    > for the latest file only.

    Look through the options and settings for "single document interface"
    and/or "multiple document interface". In "single" you will get a
    taskbar button for each file, in "multiple" they are all within the same
    outer window.

    I haven't used Word in years, preferring OpenOffice.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 18, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thanks for the tip, but I can't find that in Word.. can you let me know
    where this is..

    thanks

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > Before a button would appear for each Word file open, in the task bar.
    > >
    > > Now, as with old versions, there is only one button in the task bar
    > > for the latest file only.

    > Look through the options and settings for "single document interface"
    > and/or "multiple document interface". In "single" you will get a
    > taskbar button for each file, in "multiple" they are all within the same
    > outer window.
    >
    > I haven't used Word in years, preferring OpenOffice.
    >
    > --
    > -bts

    , Oct 18, 2006

    Please note that I said:

    >> I haven't used Word in years, preferring OpenOffice.

    Try searching the help file for SDI and MDI ... or maybe some Word user
    is reading here.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 18, 2006
  5. Alan Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the tip, but I can't find that in Word.. can you let me know
    >> where this is..

    > Please note that I said:
    >
    >>> I haven't used Word in years, preferring OpenOffice.

    > Try searching the help file for SDI and MDI ... or maybe some Word user
    > is reading here.

    Are you positive that you still have Office 97? this KB suggests your
    behavior is for versions AFTER 97
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291313

    Yo may be better off asking in microsoft.public.office.misc

    Alan, Oct 20, 2006
  6. Alan wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for the tip, but I can't find that in Word.. can you let me know
    >>> where this is..

    >> Try searching the help file for SDI and MDI ... or maybe some Word user
    >> is reading here.

    > Are you positive that you still have Office 97? this KB suggests your
    > behavior is for versions AFTER 97
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291313

    No, I said I don't *have* Word - or Office NN - I said I use OpenOffice.

    > Yo may be better off asking in microsoft.public.office.misc

    I have no problem.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 20, 2006
  7. Guest

    Its certainly office 97, never had this problem before as its always
    worked fine in XP.

    thanks

    , Oct 22, 2006
  8. wrote:

    > Its certainly office 97, never had this problem before as its always
    > worked fine in XP.

    There is a Windows XP setting somewhere to "combine like programs or
    files" into one button on the Taskbar. Perhaps since you reinstalled the
    OS, the chosen setting was changed.

    Since I don't use XP either, you'll have to find it. But I would start
    by right-clicking on the taskbar, choosing Properties, and browse
    through the settings there.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 22, 2006
  9. Guest

    Thanks for the info.. but that isn't the issue..

    I can't get Word to display seperate Word files in Alt Tab either... I
    know the option you're talking about

    Thanks

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > Its certainly office 97, never had this problem before as its always
    > > worked fine in XP.

    > There is a Windows XP setting somewhere to "combine like programs or
    > files" into one button on the Taskbar. Perhaps since you reinstalled the
    > OS, the chosen setting was changed.
    >
    > Since I don't use XP either, you'll have to find it. But I would start
    > by right-clicking on the taskbar, choosing Properties, and browse
    > through the settings there.
    >
    > --
    > -bts

    , Oct 26, 2006