Word processing File Formats 2007

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, Jun 24, 2006.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    We have all had some stability in word processing formats during the
    last decade. When Office 97 came out the .doc format was changed and
    users of Office 95 or Word 6 had to download 'plug-in's' to open
    documents ifrom Office 97. I cannot remember if one could savre back
    in the new format.

    You could not originally save a word file in the old format from Office
    97, that is until public pressure forced Microsoft to issue a further
    plug-in with that feature.

    Now the office suite with Vista uses a completely different format
    called XML, the main advantage being you can embed music, videos, etc
    in your word processing documents (ie creating a comfortable
    environment for viruses, worms, spyware, etc).

    Will Vista Office enable its users to save word processing files in
    ..doc for those still on older word processor, or will everyone be
    obliged to download adaptors for older Office versions which will
    probably come with draconian EULA's and 'contact mothership' spyware?
    In any case would would be the earliest Office version that they would
    be available for?
    peterwn, Jun 24, 2006

  2. peterwn

    Allistar Guest

    peterwn wrote:

    > We have all had some stability in word processing formats during the
    > last decade. When Office 97 came out the .doc format was changed and
    > users of Office 95 or Word 6 had to download 'plug-in's' to open
    > documents ifrom Office 97. I cannot remember if one could savre back
    > in the new format.
    >
    > You could not originally save a word file in the old format from Office
    > 97, that is until public pressure forced Microsoft to issue a further
    > plug-in with that feature.
    >
    > Now the office suite with Vista uses a completely different format
    > called XML, the main advantage being you can embed music, videos, etc
    > in your word processing documents (ie creating a comfortable
    > environment for viruses, worms, spyware, etc).
    >
    > Will Vista Office enable its users to save word processing files in
    > .doc for those still on older word processor, or will everyone be
    > obliged to download adaptors for older Office versions which will
    > probably come with draconian EULA's and 'contact mothership' spyware?
    > In any case would would be the earliest Office version that they would
    > be available for?

    I'm not trolling, but my honest recommendation is to use OpenOffice.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jun 24, 2006

  3. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    Fully agree - I understand that it can handle XML.

    This is the path I would be following, and if I can read run of the
    mill XML files, that will do me.

    peterwn, Jun 25, 2006
  4. peterwn

    Steven H Guest

    Hello peterwn,

    > When Office 97 came out the .doc format was changed and
    > users of Office 95 or Word 6 had to download 'plug-in's' to open
    > documents ifrom Office 97.

    yes one of the greatest f*kups in file format history - who would have knowen
    that it would piss lots of people off changing the binary format but not
    the extension.

    i suppose lesson learned now why we have docx.

    > Now the office suite with Vista

    office 2007 doesnt have much to do with vista, im running 2007 beta 2 on XP

    > the main advantage being you can embed music, videos, etc
    > in your word processing documents

    huh???

    the 'main advantage' is the fact that anybody can write some software that
    does stuff with the new Open XML File Formats.

    in fact the files themselvs are zip files, open a docx in winzip and you
    will see the structure

    > (ie creating a comfortable
    > environment for viruses, worms, spyware, etc).

    now i am struggling to fathom if you are serious or not.

    how can OXML provide a comfortable enviroment for viruses, worms or spyware ?

    the fact that OXML is a ECMA standard (ie has absolutely NOTHING to do with
    Microsoft - there just on the board, other people make the decisions as to
    what goes into OXML). means that anybody can open it up, and make sence of
    what the xml fragments are intended to represent.

    > Will Vista Office enable its users to save word processing files in
    > .doc

    Office 2007 (again with the vista thing), does open / save in 97-2003 comptable
    formats - in fact it will save to PDF (even the ISO standard PDF).

    as for 'yes it *says* it saves in them formats but does it *reallly* save
    in them formats' yes it does - i have used them particular features extensively
    and had no problems whatsoever.

    > or will everyone be
    > obliged to download adaptors for older Office versions

    no, it just works.

    > which will
    > probably come with draconian EULA's

    you mean like the GPL ;)

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek
    Steven H, Jun 25, 2006
  5. peterwn

    shannon Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    > Hello peterwn,
    >
    >> When Office 97 came out the .doc format was changed and
    >> users of Office 95 or Word 6 had to download 'plug-in's' to open
    >> documents ifrom Office 97.

    > yes one of the greatest f*kups in file format history - who would have
    > knowen that it would piss lots of people off changing the binary format
    > but not the extension.
    >
    > i suppose lesson learned now why we have docx.
    >
    >> Now the office suite with Vista

    > office 2007 doesnt have much to do with vista, im running 2007 beta 2 on XP
    >
    >> the main advantage being you can embed music, videos, etc
    >> in your word processing documents

    > huh???
    >
    > the 'main advantage' is the fact that anybody can write some software
    > that does stuff with the new Open XML File Formats.
    >
    > in fact the files themselvs are zip files, open a docx in winzip and you
    > will see the structure
    >
    >> (ie creating a comfortable
    >> environment for viruses, worms, spyware, etc).

    > now i am struggling to fathom if you are serious or not.
    >
    > how can OXML provide a comfortable enviroment for viruses, worms or
    > spyware ?
    >
    > the fact that OXML is a ECMA standard (ie has absolutely NOTHING to do
    > with Microsoft - there just on the board, other people make the
    > decisions as to what goes into OXML). means that anybody can open it up,
    > and make sence of what the xml fragments are intended to represent.
    >
    >> Will Vista Office enable its users to save word processing files in
    >> .doc

    > Office 2007 (again with the vista thing), does open / save in 97-2003
    > comptable formats - in fact it will save to PDF (even the ISO standard
    > PDF).
    >
    > as for 'yes it *says* it saves in them formats but does it *reallly*
    > save in them formats' yes it does - i have used them particular features
    > extensively and had no problems whatsoever.
    >
    >> or will everyone be
    >> obliged to download adaptors for older Office versions

    > no, it just works.
    >
    >> which will
    >> probably come with draconian EULA's

    > you mean like the GPL ;)
    >
    > ----------------
    > Steven H
    >
    > the madGeek

    The GPL is just a copyright agreement
    It doesn't restrict the number of PCs or the number of CPUs, the number
    of device connections, or impose limits on reverse engineering,
    decompilation and disassembly.

    On the other hand ....

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx

    1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run
    one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation,
    terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not
    be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single
    Workstation Computer.

    1.2 Mandatory Activation. The license rights granted under this EULA are
    limited to the first thirty (30) days after you first install the
    Software unless you supply information required to activate your
    licensed copy in the manner described during the setup sequence of the
    Software. You can activate the Software through the use of the Internet
    or telephone; toll charges may apply. You may also need to reactivate
    the Software if you modify your computer hardware or alter the Software.
    There are technological measures in this Software that are designed to
    prevent unlicensed use of the Software. Microsoft will use those
    measures to confirm you have a legally licensed copy of the Software. If
    you are not using a licensed copy of the Software, you are not allowed
    to install the Software or future Software updates. Microsoft will not
    collect any personally identifiable information from your Workstation
    Computer during this process.

    1.3 Device Connections. You may permit a maximum of five (5) computers
    or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the
    Workstation Computer to utilize one or more of the following services of
    the Software: File Services, Print Services, Internet Information
    Services, and remote access (including connection sharing and telephony
    services). The five connection maximum includes any indirect connections
    made through "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or
    aggregates connections. This five connection maximum does not apply to
    any other uses of the Software.

    5. NO RENTAL/COMMERCIAL HOSTING. You may not rent, lease, lend or
    provide commercial hosting services with the Software.

    6. CONSENT TO USE OF DATA. You agree that Microsoft and its affiliates
    may collect and use technical information gathered as part of the
    product support services provided to you, if any, related to the
    Software. Microsoft may use this information solely to improve our
    products or to provide customized services or technologies to you and
    will not disclose this information in a form that personally identifies you.

    etc etc etc

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx
    shannon, Jun 26, 2006