    because my Microsoft word opens without a problem. I think that reinstalling
    of my "Word Pad" would solve a problem. If so please tell me how to
    reinstall Word Pad as it is a part of Windows (XP) . Thank you in advance.
    Andy, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Andy

    °Mike° Guest

    Copy/paste the following into the Start / Run box:

    %systemroot%\inf\sysoc.inf

    When the sysoc.inf file opens in Notepad, find the
    following line:

    MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,HIDE,7

    Now take out the HIDE, so that the line reads:

    MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,,7

    Press File / Save.

    Now go to Control Panel / Add\Remove Programs
    Select the 'Add\Remove Windows Components' tab.
    Select 'Accessories and Utilities'.
    Press the 'Details' button.
    Select 'Accessories'.
    Press the 'Details' button.
    You should now see Wordpad in the list.
    Uncheck Wordpad and press OK/OK/Next.

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:55:04 -0400, in
    <>
    Andy scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Andy

    °Mike° Guest

    I should have added to reboot, and then recheck
    Wordpad in the list.

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 03:15:17 +0100, in
    <>
    °Mike° scrawled:

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Oct 20, 2004
  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >I should have added to reboot, and then recheck
    > Wordpad in the list.
    >

    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 03:15:17 +0100, in
    > <>
    > °Mike° scrawled:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Uncheck Wordpad and press OK/OK/Next.

    > <snip>
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Dziekuje Mike za pomoc. I reinstalled my Word Pad, unfortunately it still
    reads wri. files as corrupted text. I will need to use Microsoft word to
    convert them to rtf.( a few hundred lol). Thank You again. At least now I
    know how to reinstall windows components.
    Andy, Oct 20, 2004
  5. Andy

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:38:00 -0400 "Andy"
    used 27 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >I will need to use Microsoft word to
    >convert them to rtf.( a few hundred lol).

    A quick Google shows many conversion tools that will do them in batch.

    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
    G. Morgan, Oct 20, 2004
  6. Andy

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:38:00 -0400, in
    <>
    Andy scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >>I should have added to reboot, and then recheck
    >> Wordpad in the list.
    >>

    >> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 03:15:17 +0100, in
    >> <>
    >> °Mike° scrawled:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>Uncheck Wordpad and press OK/OK/Next.

    >> <snip>
    >>

    >Dziekuje Mike za pomoc.

    You're welcome.

    >I reinstalled my Word Pad, unfortunately it still reads wri. files as
    >corrupted text. I will need to use Microsoft word to convert them
    >to rtf.( a few hundred lol). Thank You again. At least now I know
    >how to reinstall windows components.

    I'm not an Office fan, and don't know much about it, but
    are you sure the .wri files are compatible, version-wise, and
    that they aren't corrupt?

    Another thing to consider: if this problem is recent, try
    a system restore to before you had the problem.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 20, 2004