Word Help please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daz, Nov 2, 2004.

  1. Daz

    Daz Guest

    Hi,

    This is going to be difficult to explain but here goes:
    I have 2 folders on my hard drive, each with a word document in with the
    same name. e.g C:\folder1\report.doc and C:\folder2\report.doc

    Although both of these word documents share the same name, they both have
    different content.

    OK on to problem:

    I open folder1\report.doc and make a change. I minimize this and then open
    folder2\report.doc and also make a change.
    This means that both have been opened and edited. I then save and close
    folder1\reort.doc and save and close folder2\reort.doc.

    The problem is that BOTH report.doc's are now identical, even though that
    started differently.

    For what it's worth, my theory is:

    When a document is opened a .tmp file is created, does this have anything to
    do with it. i.e is windows getting confused as both docs have the same name?

    Daz.

    PS please don't ask me to explain again.

    This email has been scanned by Norton Internet Security software and is
    virus free!
    Daz, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Daz

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Daz" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is going to be difficult to explain but here goes:
    > I have 2 folders on my hard drive, each with a word document in with the
    > same name. e.g C:\folder1\report.doc and C:\folder2\report.doc
    >
    > Although both of these word documents share the same name, they both have
    > different content.
    >
    > OK on to problem:
    >
    > I open folder1\report.doc and make a change. I minimize this and then open
    > folder2\report.doc and also make a change.
    > This means that both have been opened and edited. I then save and close
    > folder1\reort.doc and save and close folder2\reort.doc.
    >
    > The problem is that BOTH report.doc's are now identical, even though that
    > started differently.
    >
    > For what it's worth, my theory is:
    >
    > When a document is opened a .tmp file is created, does this have anything
    > do with it. i.e is windows getting confused as both docs have the same
    > name?
    >
    > Daz.

    what version of office? the temp file should be in the same dir as original.
    somewhere along the line, you got confused.
    my suggestion: use unique file names.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Nov 3, 2004