    either. I assume I'm doing this wrong? What is the best way to save a Word
    attachment (.doc extension) to your hard drive?

    Thanks for any help.
    Viewasku1977, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Viewasku1977

    Boomer Guest

    ojuno (Viewasku1977) wrote in
    news::

    > I just tried to copy a word file attached to my email to my hard
    > drive. I chose Save As but the link created opens a window that
    > shows a connection timeout. I also tried to save the file as an
    > HTML page, and that didn't work either. I assume I'm doing this
    > wrong? What is the best way to save a Word attachment (.doc
    > extension) to your hard drive?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Hi

    Why not just save it to your hard drive as a .doc file?
    Boomer, Nov 15, 2003

  3. Viewasku1977

    ~¢makey$ Guest

    In outlook express you click on the attachment paperclip on upper right-hand
    side of message, then save to a location that you prefer on your hardrive.
    Usually if you have word installed, double-clicking on the attachment
    paperclip will automatically open word, then you can choose to save as to a
    location you prefer on your hardrive.

    ~¢makey$, Nov 15, 2003
  4. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    Subject: Re: Word file attachment to hard drive?
    From: Boomer
    >Why not just save it to your hard drive as a .doc file?

    Yeah, that worked! So now that it's saved (saved as a temp file just to
    check), am I ok to delete the old mail? I'm unclear on what's just a shortcut
    and what's its own file that isn't linked to the original attachment in the
    email. Thanks for your help.
    Viewasku1977, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Viewasku1977

    > Subject: Re: Word file attachment to hard drive?
    > From: Boomer
    >>Why not just save it to your hard drive as a .doc file?
    >>

    > Yeah, that worked! So now that it's saved (saved as a temp file
    > just to check), am I ok to delete the old mail? I'm unclear on
    > what's just a shortcut and what's its own file that isn't linked
    > to the original attachment in the email. Thanks for your help.

    I would transfer it out of your temp file and place it in a file like
    "My Documents". Once it's safe there and you are sure you can open it
    from there... sure you can delete the e-mail.
    Boomer, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Viewasku1977

    > Subject: Re: Word file attachment to hard drive?
    > From: Boomer
    >>Why not just save it to your hard drive as a .doc file?
    >>

    > Yeah, that worked! So now that it's saved (saved as a temp file
    > just to check), am I ok to delete the old mail? I'm unclear on
    > what's just a shortcut and what's its own file that isn't linked
    > to the original attachment in the email. Thanks for your help.

    Find where ever your *.doc is.
    "Cut" it from that file folder and "paste" it into a file folder like
    "My Documents".
    Then make sure you can open that *.doc file once it is placed there.

    Does that make sense?
    Boomer, Nov 15, 2003
  7. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    >I would transfer it out of your temp file and place it in a file like
    >"My Documents". Once it's safe there and you are sure you can open it
    >from there... sure you can delete the e-mail.

    Great! I just moved the file to My Documents and it opened ok. Guess I'll go
    delete the email now. My fear was that completely removing the original source
    would cause the new file not to function correctly. I guess it doesn't work
    like that?
    Viewasku1977, Nov 15, 2003