Word/Excel Paste Looks out to Internet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Atreju, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    I am wondering if this &^%$#! nuisance is able to be shut off.
    I have Word and Excel blocked from accessing the Internet. Whenever I
    try to paste text from IE into either an Excel sheet or a Word
    document, those applications INSIST ON going out to the Internet for
    god only knows what - trying to see if they can find the same words on
    MSN or some crap like that. And then they format the text exactly as
    it was on the webpage, which I DON'T want. Since I have my firewall
    blocking them, the software locks up for about 5 minutes.

    Is there ANY way to set Word and Excel to NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER
    EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER try to access the Internet? Can I just set
    some option to tell it to ALWAYS just PASTE THE DAMN TEXT and NOT try
    to go retrieve all its settings from its origin?!

    I am SO DAMN SICK of this cropping up in my face all the time.
    In Excel, I have learned to actually hit F2 first to go into Edit mode
    in the cell, which actually makes the paste only text with no
    formatting, but in Word this is not possible unless I do PastSpecial
    and choose unformatted text.

    The ^%$#! arrogance of MS to just assume you want it to do everything
    for you that you didn't even ask for!

    </END RANT>

    Possible?

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Atreju

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Atreju" <> wrote in message
    |I am wondering if this &^%$#! nuisance is able to be shut off.
    | I have Word and Excel blocked from accessing the Internet. Whenever I
    | try to paste text from IE into either an Excel sheet or a Word
    | document, those applications INSIST ON going out to the Internet for
    | god only knows what - trying to see if they can find the same words on
    | MSN or some crap like that. And then they format the text exactly as
    | it was on the webpage, which I DON'T want. Since I have my firewall
    | blocking them, the software locks up for about 5 minutes.
    |
    | Is there ANY way to set Word and Excel to NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER
    | EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER try to access the Internet? Can I just set
    | some option to tell it to ALWAYS just PASTE THE DAMN TEXT and NOT try
    | to go retrieve all its settings from its origin?!

    <snip>

    What would you expect? You cut something from the web, you paste it into a
    web aware application, the application "thinks" you want it to *look* like
    you saw it at the previous location. You are copying HTML code from the web.
    That code, placed into Word/Excel, is *STILL* HTML code. Also, most web code
    includes information found on separate web pages. For instance, ads are
    seldom put on each web page, but each web page has a reference to the ad,
    which then appears in the page. So the *CODE* is going back to the web (E.T.
    phone home...) for the rest of the information that you didn't have in your
    cut/paste.

    So, paste as text only. And get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2005

  3. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:08:31 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >So, paste as text only. And get over it.

    Ok but can I do that without having to
    Edit -> Paste Special -> Unformatted Text (3 steps instead of
    CTRL+V)?
    What I would prefer is to tell Word to NOT be "web-aware" as you call
    it. I realize that it has the ability to go fetch all these things,
    which must be lovely for the typical user, but if I want Word/Excel to
    NOT fetch, I think I should be able to instruct it not to.

    Of course, I'm sure MS doesn't see it that way, because they ASSume
    all users of their software want to do everything their way which is
    designed for dummies.

    Oh well.

    If you have any thoughts on shutting this off, such as a registry edit
    or something, please let me know.

    Thanks.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Jan 9, 2005
  4. Atreju

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Atreju" <> wrote in message
    | On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:08:31 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | <> wrote:
    |
    | >So, paste as text only. And get over it.
    |
    | Ok but can I do that without having to
    | Edit -> Paste Special -> Unformatted Text (3 steps instead of
    | CTRL+V)?
    | What I would prefer is to tell Word to NOT be "web-aware" as you call
    | it. I realize that it has the ability to go fetch all these things,
    | which must be lovely for the typical user, but if I want Word/Excel to
    | NOT fetch, I think I should be able to instruct it not to.
    |
    | Of course, I'm sure MS doesn't see it that way, because they ASSume
    | all users of their software want to do everything their way which is
    | designed for dummies.

    Not exactly. Excel/Word are not 'designed for dummies'. They are designed to
    be extremely capable programs that can be used by anybody to do just about
    anything. So rather than 'dumb' programs, they are actually the opposite.

    | Oh well.
    |
    | If you have any thoughts on shutting this off, such as a registry edit
    | or something, please let me know.

    Sorry - nothing I know of that would address that issue. Cut and paste is
    cut and paste. You cut, it pastes what you cut. Or you tell it how you paste
    what you cut. For instance, even cutting from one spreadsheet to another
    spreadsheet can cause similar problems. All I want is the *data*, I don't
    want the *formatting*. So, I cut. Then I 'paste/special' to get only what I
    need.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2005
  5. Atreju

    zuko105

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Workaround

    While Toolman Tim has completely missed the point of the usability and convenience Atreju has a need for, there is a slight workaround that will allow you to do this from the keyboard without having to right click, blah blah blah. I feel your pain Atreju, and doubly so with the kind of response Timmy and Microsoft as the software maker has provided.

    highlight cell, hit a letter key on your keyboard, backspace, then ctrl-v. Still 3 steps, but much quicker once you get the rhythm down.

    Oh the techniques we learn to supplement our products' shortfalls.

    James

    zuko105, Sep 2, 2007
  6. Atreju

    wzydhek

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Another "Shortcut" is to double-click the cell you want to paste data into, then ctrl-v. That is the same as typing a character and deleting it so you can ctrl-v paste text into the cell.

    wzydhek, Apr 16, 2009