Word and Excel linking ideas

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mr_Bond, Jul 1, 2008.

  1. Mr_Bond

    Mr_Bond Guest

    Hi,

    I work for a corporate property firm and will do weekly or more often
    word documents that refer to calculations in excel. How we do this is
    by copying in excel and pasting special a linked excel object/table/
    field.

    The reason for this is we will often need to change a variable in
    excel and need the word document to update through without manually
    having to check it. We would have 20-30 linked bits in each document.

    Now in theory this works fine, but the reality is that since the files
    are located on our slow network, the updates or the process of pasting
    a table/link will often crash word and or excel loosing any unsaved
    changes and locking up our slow computers for 5-10 minutes at a time.

    Anyone have any suggestions of how to do this better? Upgrading
    network or computers is unfortunately not a short term option. We use
    Office 2003. We've thought about doing the whole report in Excel like
    a mock word document, but think this would be a bit clunky and
    average.

    Thanks.

    Mr_Bond, Jul 1, 2008

  2. Mr_Bond

    Alan Guest

    "Mr_Bond" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I work for a corporate property firm and will do weekly or more
    > often
    > word documents that refer to calculations in excel. How we do this
    > is
    > by copying in excel and pasting special a linked excel object/table/
    > field.
    >
    > The reason for this is we will often need to change a variable in
    > excel and need the word document to update through without manually
    > having to check it. We would have 20-30 linked bits in each
    > document.
    >
    > Now in theory this works fine, but the reality is that since the
    > files
    > are located on our slow network, the updates or the process of
    > pasting
    > a table/link will often crash word and or excel loosing any unsaved
    > changes and locking up our slow computers for 5-10 minutes at a
    > time.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions of how to do this better? Upgrading
    > network or computers is unfortunately not a short term option. We
    > use
    > Office 2003. We've thought about doing the whole report in Excel
    > like
    > a mock word document, but think this would be a bit clunky and
    > average.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi,

    Since you have raised it, I would not discount the option of doing the
    whole thing in Excel.

    I have done this before, and if you know what you are doing, you can
    get Excel to look at least as good as anything you can do in Word with
    much less hassle than linking through from Excel to Word. If all the
    basic data is in Excel, I would be heading in that direction since
    maintenance would also be much less work in the end too.

    If you need any specific help, my email address (below) is valid as
    is.

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Jul 1, 2008

  3. Mr_Bond

    impossible Guest

    "Mr_Bond" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I work for a corporate property firm and will do weekly or more often
    > word documents that refer to calculations in excel. How we do this is
    > by copying in excel and pasting special a linked excel object/table/
    > field.
    >
    > The reason for this is we will often need to change a variable in
    > excel and need the word document to update through without manually
    > having to check it. We would have 20-30 linked bits in each document.
    >
    > Now in theory this works fine, but the reality is that since the files
    > are located on our slow network, the updates or the process of pasting
    > a table/link will often crash word and or excel loosing any unsaved
    > changes and locking up our slow computers for 5-10 minutes at a time.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions of how to do this better? Upgrading
    > network or computers is unfortunately not a short term option. We use
    > Office 2003. We've thought about doing the whole report in Excel like
    > a mock word document, but think this would be a bit clunky and
    > average.

    It's not clear what you mean by a "linked excel object/table/field". Are you
    pasting links to 20-30 individual cells? Or are you pasting 20-30 separate
    copies of the Excel worksheet object? Even on a "slow computer" working
    over a "slow network", you ought to be able to easily handle 20-30 links --
    in almost all cases, this would be the preferred method for automating data
    modifications. But -- depending on the size of your worksheet and the number
    of formulas that have to be recalculated -- repeatedly pasting an entire
    worksheet object could very well overload your system in the way you
    describe. I only mention this because I know how easy it is to confuse the
    two operations (been there, done that).

    impossible, Jul 1, 2008
  4. Mr_Bond

    Mr_Bond Guest

    On Jul 1, 5:22 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "Mr_Bond" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > I work for a corporate property firm and will do weekly or more often
    > > word documents that refer to calculations in excel.  How we do this is
    > > by copying in excel and pasting special a linked excel object/table/
    > > field.

    > > The reason for this is we will often need to change a variable in
    > > excel and need the word document to update through without manually
    > > having to check it.  We would have 20-30 linked bits in each document.

    > > Now in theory this works fine, but the reality is that since the files
    > > are located on our slow network, the updates or the process of pasting
    > > a table/link will often crash word and or excel loosing any unsaved
    > > changes and locking up our slow computers for 5-10 minutes at a time.

    > > Anyone have any suggestions of how to do this better?  Upgrading
    > > network or computers is unfortunately not a short term option.  We use
    > > Office 2003.  We've thought about doing the whole report in Excel like
    > > a mock word document, but think this would be a bit clunky and
    > > average.

    > It's not clear what you mean by a "linked excel object/table/field". Are you
    > pasting links to 20-30 individual cells? Or are you pasting 20-30 separate
    > copies of the Excel worksheet object?  Even on a "slow computer" working
    > over a "slow network", you ought to be able to easily handle 20-30 links --
    > in almost all cases, this would be the preferred method for automating data
    > modifications. But -- depending on the size of your worksheet and the number
    > of formulas that have to be recalculated -- repeatedly pasting an entire
    > worksheet object could very well overload your system in the way you
    > describe. I only mention this because I know how easy it is to confuse the
    > two operations (been there, done that).- Hide quoted text -

    Sometimes I'm pasting a link to an individual cell, such as a specific
    growth rate, value or such, pasted litterally into a paragraph. eg
    Pasting the cell with 2.5% into "We expect growth to be 2.5% per
    annum".

    Othertimes it can be a group of cells pasted as a linked excel
    worksheet object, such as a specific calculation/workings. There is
    also the odd graph inserted as a linked excel worksheet object.

    We would have probably equal numbers of both types within the end
    document, which ends up usually around 2-3 megs with photos. Our
    spreadsheet are big (4-5 megs), but its just the summary calculations
    we are linking rather than sheets of workings.

    Mr_Bond, Jul 2, 2008
  5. Mr_Bond

    impossible Guest

    >> "Mr_Bond" <>> wrote in message

    >> It's not clear what you mean by a "linked excel object/table/field". Are
    >> you
    >> pasting links to 20-30 individual cells? Or are you pasting 20-30
    >> separate
    >> copies of the Excel worksheet object? Even on a "slow computer" working
    >> over a "slow network", you ought to be able to easily handle 20-30
    >> links --
    >> in almost all cases, this would be the preferred method for automating
    >> data
    >> modifications. But -- depending on the size of your worksheet and the
    >> number
    >> of formulas that have to be recalculated -- repeatedly pasting an entire
    >> worksheet object could very well overload your system in the way you
    >> describe. I only mention this because I know how easy it is to confuse
    >> the
    >> two operations (been there, done that).- Hide quoted text -

    > Sometimes I'm pasting a link to an individual cell, such as a specific
    > growth rate, value or such, pasted litterally into a paragraph. eg
    > Pasting the cell with 2.5% into "We expect growth to be 2.5% per
    > annum".
    >
    > Othertimes it can be a group of cells pasted as a linked excel
    > worksheet object, such as a specific calculation/workings. There is
    > also the odd graph inserted as a linked excel worksheet object.
    >

    > We would have probably equal numbers of both types within the end
    > document, which ends up usually around 2-3 megs with photos. Our
    > spreadsheet are big (4-5 megs), but its just the summary calculations
    > we are linking rather than sheets of workings.

    As long as you're pasting links to objects, and not the objects themselves,
    there shouldn't be a problem and I wouldn't know a better method to suggest.

    I'm assuming you have at least 500 Mb of ram on the client machines. Are all
    the Office 2003 updates installed? Tried running the "repair" process?

    impossible, Jul 2, 2008
  6. Mr_Bond

    NR Guest

    On Jul 2, 4:01 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > >> "Mr_Bond" <>> wrote in message

    > >> It's not clear what you mean by a "linked excel object/table/field". Are
    > >> you
    > >> pasting links to 20-30 individual cells? Or are you pasting 20-30
    > >> separate
    > >> copies of the Excel worksheet object? Even on a "slow computer" working
    > >> over a "slow network", you ought to be able to easily handle 20-30
    > >> links --
    > >> in almost all cases, this would be the preferred method for automating
    > >> data
    > >> modifications. But -- depending on the size of your worksheet and the
    > >> number
    > >> of formulas that have to be recalculated -- repeatedly pasting an entire
    > >> worksheet object could very well overload your system in the way you
    > >> describe. I only mention this because I know how easy it is to confuse
    > >> the
    > >> two operations (been there, done that).- Hide quoted text -

    > > Sometimes I'm pasting a link to an individual cell, such as a specific
    > > growth rate, value or such, pasted litterally into a paragraph.  eg
    > > Pasting the cell with 2.5% into "We expect growth to be 2.5% per
    > > annum".

    > > Othertimes it can be a group of cells pasted as a linked excel
    > > worksheet object, such as a specific calculation/workings.  There is
    > > also the odd graph inserted as a linked excel worksheet object.

    > > We would have probably equal numbers of both types within the end
    > > document, which ends up usually around 2-3 megs with photos.  Our
    > > spreadsheet are big (4-5 megs), but its just the summary calculations
    > > we are linking rather than sheets of workings.

    > As long as you're pasting links to objects, and not the objects themselves,
    > there shouldn't be a problem and I wouldn't know a better method to suggest.
    >
    > I'm assuming you have at least 500 Mb of ram on the client machines. Are all
    > the Office 2003 updates installed? Tried running the "repair" process?

    You could try seeing if it is any more stable in openoffice.

    NR, Jul 2, 2008