Word 97 and Open Office - and editing video files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thedarkman, Nov 23, 2007.

  1. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    I've just bought a new machine, well, a late model Pentium. I gather
    it has never been used before; I had it custom built with 160G hard
    drive capacity and 256Mb of memory. It came with Open Office which
    I've used before and which I'm told mimics Word. However, when I
    create documents they are always in a box, and when when create an
    html file I get lines in it.

    Does anyone know how to solve these compatability problems?

    I was using Word 97 before and would like to obtain a copy of this. I
    take it this is not in the public domain. If so does anyone know
    where
    I can buy a copy and for how much? I don't like the later editions.

    Also I want to edit down real media and mpg files; I have some massive
    music and video files that I want to cut down to 10Mb or so. Does
    anyone know of an easy to use free or shareware program to do this?

    Thanks
    thedarkman, Nov 23, 2007

  2. thedarkman

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 06:50:06 -0800 (PST), thedarkman wrote:

    >I've just bought a new machine, well, a late model Pentium. I gather
    >it has never been used before; I had it custom built with 160G hard
    >drive capacity and 256Mb of memory. It came with Open Office which

    You said Word (version) 97 but not the Version of OO.

    >I've used before and which I'm told mimics Word. However, when I
    >create documents they are always in a box, and when when create an

    Explain?

    As in File / New / Text Document and the outline box that matches the
    margins as on the rulers?

    >html file I get lines in it.

    The same outline box or not?

    Isn't guessing fun.

    HTML, then post an example on a server and reply with the URL so the
    effect can be seen.

    >Does anyone know how to solve these compatability problems?

    How is it a compatability issue? It just works differently from another
    product you use.

    Unless your point is you are going from OO to Word?

    >I was using Word 97 before and would like to obtain a copy of this. I
    >take it this is not in the public domain. If so does anyone know
    >where

    ebay, Omline shops that deal in clearance stock, must be a few sources.

    >I can buy a copy and for how much? I don't like the later editions.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Nov 23, 2007

  3. thedarkman wrote:

    > I've just bought a new machine, well, a late model Pentium. I gather
    > it has never been used before;

    One would suspect that a "new" PC was never used.

    > I had it custom built with 160G hard drive capacity and 256Mb of
    > memory.

    Why did you order such a small amount of memory? Take it back and have
    them change that to a gigabyte (or twice that if it has Vista).

    > It came with Open Office which I've used before and which I'm told
    > mimics Word.

    Quite well, actually. What operating system is on this "new" machine? I
    don't know of any Windows OSs where OO is a standard install.

    > However, when I create documents they are always in a
    > box, and when when create an html file I get lines in it.

    Change your defaults to remove the box.

    Word processors make terrible HTML creators. Use something designed for
    the purpose. Try Kompozer, it's free.
    http://kompozer.net/

    > Does anyone know how to solve these compatability problems?
    >
    > I was using Word 97 before and would like to obtain a copy of this. I
    > take it this is not in the public domain. If so does anyone know
    > where I can buy a copy and for how much? I don't like the later
    > editions.

    Word 97 hasn't been sold since .. probably 1999. Stick with OO.

    > Also I want to edit down real media and mpg files; I have some massive
    > music and video files that I want to cut down to 10Mb or so. Does
    > anyone know of an easy to use free or shareware program to do this?

    If you want to do media work, you will need more ram.

    Google for your OS and media type to edit.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 23, 2007
  4. thedarkman

    Gordon Guest

    > Change your defaults to remove the box.

    the "box" is the way OO shows margins......
    Gordon, Nov 23, 2007
  5. Gordon wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Change your defaults to remove the box.

    > the "box" is the way OO shows margins......

    I know. I was assuming the OP meant they were printing .. or being
    generated in the HTML. S'far as I know, the margins indicator would not
    be included in output as HTML.

    I write my web pages with a good text editor.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 23, 2007
  6. thedarkman

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 19:00:19 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>> Change your defaults to remove the box.

    >> the "box" is the way OO shows margins......

    >I know. I was assuming the OP meant they were printing .. or being
    >generated in the HTML. S'far as I know, the margins indicator would not
    >be included in output as HTML.

    Good assumption, more from OP would help and they aren't.

    >I write my web pages with a good text editor.

    Ditto.

    Me
    why?, Nov 23, 2007
  7. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    Hi, thanks for your reply; below are two short files I have uploaded
    to Sendspace. I want the doc file to come out on plain A4 without
    lines and I want the html file to be free of lines.

    Any help appreciated

    http://www.sendspace.com/file/7so73f
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/iijssr

    thedarkman, Nov 24, 2007
  8. thedarkman wrote:

    > Hi, thanks for your reply; below are two short files I have uploaded
    > to Sendspace. I want the doc file to come out on plain A4 without
    > lines and I want the html file to be free of lines.
    >
    > http://www.sendspace.com/file/7so73f <-- not found
    > http://www.sendspace.com/file/iijssr <-- found

    brel-ne-me.doc

    It comes that way from Word. Don't blame OO. Examine the HTML output,
    and you will see these paragraph styles (for P1 through P4):

    border-bottom-width:0.0133cm; border-bottom-style:solid;
    border-bottom-color:#000000;

    That's a "border line" at the bottom of each paragraph.

    Easiest way to remove:
    Open .doc file in OO.
    Select All (Control-A)
    In the style dropdown box (left of toolbar),
    change from Plain Text to "Clear Formatting".
    Resave file.
    Export again as HTML.
    No lines.

    You would probably have to reselect the text that was centered and redo
    that, if it is important.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 24, 2007
  9. thedarkman <> wrote in
    s.com:

    > I've just bought a new machine, well, a late model Pentium. I
    > gather it has never been used before; I had it custom built
    > with 160G hard drive capacity and 256Mb of memory. It came
    > with Open Office which I've used before and which I'm told
    > mimics Word. However, when I create documents they are always
    > in a box, and when when create an html file I get lines in it.

    The "box" you are describing is only to show your formatting
    area; click "preview" and you'll see that there is no box. Once
    you get used to it, you'll realize what a boon it is over Word.

    I would never create an HTML file in OO. I use Nvu for creating
    webpages.

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://manormaniac.blogspot.com/

    Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if you don't take it out and use
    it it's going to rust.
    Christopher Jahn, Nov 24, 2007
  10. Christopher Jahn wrote:

    > The "box" you are describing is only to show your formatting
    > area; click "preview" and you'll see that there is no box.

    No, in this case it is not. See my other post. The generated HTML has a
    bottom border on all paragraphs.

    Once the OP posted a file, it was easy to see the cause.

    > Once you get used to it [Oo_O], you'll realize what a boon it is over
    > Word.

    True enough. The price is right as well.

    > I would never create an HTML file in OO. I use Nvu for creating
    > webpages.

    Neither would I (use OO). Did you know that development of NVu has
    stopped, but the fork known as Kompozer soldiers on?
    http://kompozer.net/

    Have you looked at Crimson Editor (for Windows users)? Not a wysiwyg,
    but a damned fine editor and project manager.
    http://crimsoneditor.com/

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 24, 2007
  11. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in

    > Christopher Jahn wrote:
    >
    >> The "box" you are describing is only to show your formatting
    >> area; click "preview" and you'll see that there is no box.

    > No, in this case it is not. See my other post. The generated
    > HTML has a bottom border on all paragraphs.

    That's a line, not a box. While you can use several lines to
    create a box, a single line does not a box make.

    When you compose in OpenOffice, your printable area is always
    defined by a box. Regardless of the html document's line, the box
    he's talking about isn't seen in the final product of OO.

    > Once the OP posted a file, it was easy to see the cause.

    It's easy to see the line dictated by the html, yes. And when
    you open it in OO, you don't see the line, but you always see the
    composition box.

    >> Once you get used to it [Oo_O], you'll realize what a boon it
    >> is over Word.

    > True enough. The price is right as well.
    >
    >> I would never create an HTML file in OO. I use Nvu for
    >> creating webpages.

    > Neither would I (use OO). Did you know that development of
    > NVu has stopped, but the fork known as Kompozer soldiers on?
    > http://kompozer.net/

    Yes, and no. I'll check that one out.

    > Have you looked at Crimson Editor (for Windows users)? Not a
    > wysiwyg, but a damned fine editor and project manager.
    > http://crimsoneditor.com/

    I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://manormaniac.blogspot.com/

    A small mind is a tidy mind.
    Christopher Jahn, Nov 25, 2007
  12. thedarkman

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:21:01 -0800 (PST), thedarkman wrote:

    >Hi, thanks for your reply; below are two short files I have uploaded
    >to Sendspace. I want the doc file to come out on plain A4 without
    >lines and I want the html file to be free of lines.
    >
    >Any help appreciated

    Having a look at the HTML just now.

    why?, Nov 25, 2007
  13. thedarkman

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:21:01 -0800 (PST), thedarkman wrote:

    >Hi, thanks for your reply; below are two short files I have uploaded
    >to Sendspace. I want the doc file to come out on plain A4 without
    >lines and I want the html file to be free of lines.
    >
    >Any help appreciated

    As BTS said, the paragraph formatting in the HTML.

    Open doc in Word 2003, no lines, print to postscript no lines, webpage
    preview no lines, open in OOo 2.2.1 no lines.

    <snip>

    why?, Nov 25, 2007
  14. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    On 25 Nov, 12:34, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:21:01 -0800 (PST), thedarkman wrote:
    > >Hi, thanks for your reply; below are two short files I have uploaded
    > >to Sendspace. I want the doc file to come out on plain A4 without
    > >lines and I want the html file to be free of lines.

    > >Any help appreciated

    > As BTS said, the paragraph formatting in the HTML.
    >
    > Open doc in Word 2003, no lines, print to postscript no lines, webpage
    > preview no lines, open in OOo 2.2.1 no lines.
    >
    > <snip>

    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    Thanks, seems to have solved the problem.
    thedarkman, Dec 2, 2007