word 2007 formulas

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Greg, May 12, 2007.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    It used to be easy in word 2003 to sum up a column in a table with
    =sum(above), but tried it in word 2007 today and it wouldn't work. The help
    is useless so anyone got any idea on how to do this.

    Greg
    Greg, May 12, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Greg

    jay Guest

    In article <f23erp$fci$>, says...
    > It used to be easy in word 2003 to sum up a column in a table with
    > =sum(above), but tried it in word 2007 today and it wouldn't work. The help
    > is useless so anyone got any idea on how to do this.


    Put your cursor in the table cell that you want the total.

    Go Insert > Quick Parts > Field ...

    In the dialog, you want a =(Formula) field, then click the Formula...
    button.

    Type in =sum(above) (if it's not there already), click OK.
    jay, May 12, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Greg

    Greg Guest

    "jay" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <f23erp$fci$>, says...
    >> It used to be easy in word 2003 to sum up a column in a table with
    >> =sum(above), but tried it in word 2007 today and it wouldn't work. The
    >> help
    >> is useless so anyone got any idea on how to do this.

    >
    > Put your cursor in the table cell that you want the total.
    >
    > Go Insert > Quick Parts > Field ...
    >
    > In the dialog, you want a =(Formula) field, then click the Formula...
    > button.
    >
    > Type in =sum(above) (if it's not there already), click OK.
    >


    I've only got one thing to say in the imortal words of Homer Simpson

    DOH!!

    Thanks for your help

    Greg
    Greg, May 12, 2007
    #3
  4. On Sun, 13 May 2007 08:54:04 +1200, jay wrote:

    > Put your cursor in the table cell that you want the total.
    >
    > Go Insert > Quick Parts > Field ...
    >
    > In the dialog, you want a =(Formula) field, then click the Formula...
    > button.
    >
    > Type in =sum(above) (if it's not there already), click OK.


    Highly intuitive - not!


    --
    Jonathan Walker

    "You'll have to excuse me — I have a long
    bath and a short dress to get into."
    Jonathan Walker, May 12, 2007
    #4
  5. Greg

    Kent Smith Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 May 2007 08:54:04 +1200, jay wrote:
    >
    >> Put your cursor in the table cell that you want the total.
    >>
    >> Go Insert > Quick Parts > Field ...
    >>
    >> In the dialog, you want a =(Formula) field, then click the Formula...
    >> button.
    >>
    >> Type in =sum(above) (if it's not there already), click OK.

    >
    > Highly intuitive - not!


    Just click on the autosum button (the sigma character - funny 'E' shaped
    thing/sideways 'M').


    -KENT
    Kent Smith, May 14, 2007
    #5
  6. Greg

    Jerry Guest

    Kent Smith wrote:
    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >> On Sun, 13 May 2007 08:54:04 +1200, jay wrote:
    >>
    >>> Put your cursor in the table cell that you want the total.
    >>>
    >>> Go Insert > Quick Parts > Field ...
    >>>
    >>> In the dialog, you want a =(Formula) field, then click the Formula...
    >>> button.
    >>>
    >>> Type in =sum(above) (if it's not there already), click OK.

    >> Highly intuitive - not!

    >
    > Just click on the autosum button (the sigma character - funny 'E' shaped
    > thing/sideways 'M').


    There is an autosum button in *word*?
    Jerry, May 14, 2007
    #6
  7. Greg

    BTMO Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote

    >> Just click on the autosum button (the sigma character - funny 'E' shaped
    >> thing/sideways 'M').

    >
    > There is an autosum button in *word*?


    Yep.

    Under the tables menu.

    I don't know when it entered word, but it has been there since at least Word
    2003 (and I seem to remember it in earlier versions - but I could be wrong)
    BTMO, May 14, 2007
    #7
  8. On Mon, 14 May 2007 19:21:45 +1200, BTMO wrote:

    >> There is an autosum button in *word*?

    >
    > Yep.
    >
    > Under the tables menu.
    >
    > I don't know when it entered word, but it has been there since at least
    > Word 2003 (and I seem to remember it in earlier versions - but I could be
    > wrong)


    I've just checked OOo, and there is the ability to sum table cells in
    OOo as well, altho' there is no auto sum button. :eek:)


    --
    Jonathan Walker

    "You'll have to excuse me — I have a long
    bath and a short dress to get into."
    Jonathan Walker, May 14, 2007
    #8
  9. Greg

    Jerry Guest

    BTMO wrote:
    > "Jerry" <> wrote
    >
    >>> Just click on the autosum button (the sigma character - funny 'E' shaped
    >>> thing/sideways 'M').

    >> There is an autosum button in *word*?

    >
    > Yep.
    >
    > Under the tables menu.
    >
    > I don't know when it entered word, but it has been there since at least Word
    > 2003 (and I seem to remember it in earlier versions - but I could be wrong)
    >

    It might be too early in the morning for me but I can't find the sigma
    button. The formula function yes, but not the autosum like Excel.
    Jerry, May 14, 2007
    #9
  10. Greg

    impossible Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    news:4648a79e$...
    > BTMO wrote:
    >> "Jerry" <> wrote
    >>
    >>>> Just click on the autosum button (the sigma character - funny 'E'
    >>>> shaped thing/sideways 'M').
    >>> There is an autosum button in *word*?

    >>
    >> Yep.
    >>
    >> Under the tables menu.
    >>
    >> I don't know when it entered word, but it has been there since at
    >> least Word 2003 (and I seem to remember it in earlier versions -
    >> but I could be wrong)
    >>

    > It might be too early in the morning for me but I can't find the
    > sigma button. The formula function yes, but not the autosum like
    > Excel.


    Look on the Tables and Borders toolbar.
    impossible, May 14, 2007
    #10
  11. Greg

    Jerry Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > news:4648a79e$...
    >> BTMO wrote:
    >>> "Jerry" <> wrote
    >>>
    >>>>> Just click on the autosum button (the sigma character - funny 'E'
    >>>>> shaped thing/sideways 'M').
    >>>> There is an autosum button in *word*?
    >>> Yep.
    >>>
    >>> Under the tables menu.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know when it entered word, but it has been there since at
    >>> least Word 2003 (and I seem to remember it in earlier versions -
    >>> but I could be wrong)
    >>>

    >> It might be too early in the morning for me but I can't find the
    >> sigma button. The formula function yes, but not the autosum like
    >> Excel.

    >
    > Look on the Tables and Borders toolbar.


    Ahhh, and there it is! Easier to find in the evening too. You learn
    something every day :)
    Jerry, May 15, 2007
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_P=F6nitz?=

    Re: Writing mathematical formulas without using Word Equation Editor

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_P=F6nitz?=, Jun 27, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    475
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_P=F6nitz?=
    Jun 27, 2003
  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_P=F6nitz?=

    Re: Writing mathematical formulas without using Word Equation Editor

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_P=F6nitz?=, Jun 27, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    557
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_P=F6nitz?=
    Jun 27, 2003
  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=

    photographic formulas

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Aug 17, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    436
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=
    Aug 19, 2004
  4. help with power point 2007 and word 2007

    , Apr 19, 2008, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    643
  5. Steve Freides

    Word 2007 XML/ZIP files, older Word and/or Open Office

    Steve Freides, Jan 28, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,473
    Steve Freides
    Jan 29, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page