    lot of compatibility issues with x32 bit machines one important one being
    people saving x32 word documents. x64 users can't seem to open them and an
    error pops up. help....
    =?Utf-8?B?aGVscGRlc2s=?=, Feb 21, 2006

  2. What does the error message say? I am running Word 2003 and I exchange Word
    documents between 2003 and 2000 with no problems. Is this a Read-Only error?
    If so its possible that the document is in use somewhere else.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 21, 2006

  3. Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt.Try repairing the
    file.
    But when anyone on a x32 bit machine opens the the doc.....no problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?aGVscGRlc2s=?=, Feb 21, 2006
  4. Is the latest Service Pack for Word 2003 installed on the x64 machine? Maybe
    that will help fix any issues that might be causing this.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 21, 2006
  5. Yes , Sp2 with all the latest updates.

    =?Utf-8?B?aGVscGRlc2s=?=, Feb 21, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?aGVscGRlc2s=?=

    Admiral Q Guest

    Word is still a 32-bit application, and as such runs as a 32-bit process on
    64-bit machines. We have several mix/matches of Word 2k3 and Word XP (2k2)
    on 32/64 bit OS's, some Win2k3, some WinXP, and haven't seen the issue
    you've described.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    Google is your friend!

    Admiral Q, Feb 22, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?aGVscGRlc2s=?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "helpdesk" <> wrote in message
    > We just purchased a bunch of x64 machines and it seems we are running into
    > lot of compatibility issues with x32 bit machines one important one being
    > people saving x32 word documents. x64 users can't seem to open them and an
    > error pops up. help....

    I am running a mixed environment Windows XP Pro x64 and Windows XP Pro.
    AM running MS Office 2003 on all, and no such issues are noted on any of my
    machines. No issues opening Word docs regardless of which OS it was created
    on.
    Suggest you have an issue with the settings in your environment.

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Feb 22, 2006
  8. Are these machines Nvidia chipset based, by any chance? If they are, you
    need to first install the nvidia firewall software, and then UN-install it.
    This POS firewall is both firmware and software, and if you haven't
    explicitly uninstalled it, there is part of it there, interfering with 32
    bit applications.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 22, 2006
  9. Hey, Bobby. You've been quiet lately - we missed you. ;)

    I'm betting this is another nvidia problem. If I ever get the chance to meet
    the [explitive deleted] person that is responsible for this POS, I will
    certainly have a few things to say to him/her.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 22, 2006
  10. Same here, just opened a doc from Word 97, no problems. Its possible that
    the install needs to be repaired.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 22, 2006