Word 2000 question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dave C., Aug 25, 2009.

  1. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    This question is about inserting "page X of Y" into the footer of a
    multi-page document.

    When I open the "footer" then to "Insert Auto Text" then select "Page
    X of Y," I would expect the printout of a 6 page document to be Page 1
    of 6, Page 2 of 6, and so forth.

    Well, the printout comes out as Page 1 of 1, Page 2 of 2, Page 3 of 3,
    and so fourth.

    The Print Preview shows it correctly, but the printeed output comes
    out as I just mentioned.

    I can't figure it out. I re-installed the driver (HP Deskjet 6980) to
    no avail.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Dave C.
    Dave C., Aug 25, 2009

  2. Dave C.

    Ragnar Guest

    "Dave C." <> wrote in message
    > This question is about inserting "page X of Y" into the footer of a
    > multi-page document.
    >
    > When I open the "footer" then to "Insert Auto Text" then select "Page
    > X of Y," I would expect the printout of a 6 page document to be Page 1
    > of 6, Page 2 of 6, and so forth.
    >
    > Well, the printout comes out as Page 1 of 1, Page 2 of 2, Page 3 of 3,
    > and so fourth.
    >
    > The Print Preview shows it correctly, but the printeed output comes
    > out as I just mentioned.
    >
    > I can't figure it out. I re-installed the driver (HP Deskjet 6980) to
    > no avail.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Word has entered "Page <page number> of <page number>" instead of "Page
    <page number> of <number of pages>" . I'm sure this is a known bug and I
    don't know how to fix it but you can correct it manually :
    On the Header and Footer toolbar <page number> is marked with a # symbol,
    and <number of pages> with a ++ symbol. Delete the second entry and replace
    it by clicking the correct icon.
    HTH
    R.
    Ragnar, Aug 26, 2009

  3. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    On Aug 26, 4:12 am, "Ragnar" <> wrote:
    > "Dave C." <> wrote in message

    > > This question is about inserting "page X of Y"  into the footer of a
    > > multi-page document.

    > > When I open the "footer" then to "Insert Auto Text" then select "Page
    > > X of Y," I would expect the printout of a 6 page document to be Page 1
    > > of 6, Page 2 of 6, and so forth.

    > > Well, the printout comes out as Page 1 of 1, Page 2 of 2, Page 3 of 3,
    > > and so fourth.

    > > The Print Preview shows it correctly, but the printeed output comes
    > > out as I just mentioned.

    > > I can't figure it out.  I re-installed the driver (HP Deskjet 6980) to
    > > no avail.

    > > Any ideas?

    > Word has entered "Page <page number> of <page number>" instead of "Page
    > <page number> of <number of pages>" . I'm sure this is a known bug and I
    > don't know how to fix it but you can correct it manually :
    > On the Header and Footer toolbar <page number> is marked with a # symbol,
    > and <number of pages> with a  ++ symbol. Delete the second entry and replace
    > it by clicking the correct icon.
    > HTH
    > R.- Hide quoted text -

    That's a perfect workaround....very easy. It was a minor problem but
    annoying.

    Thanks for taking the the time.

    Dave C.
    Dave C., Aug 26, 2009