    I have already tried reinstalling Office, it didn't help. Also, I have
    installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve the problem.

    Anyone have any suggestions?
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm8tTWFyaWUgU2Nob2VtYW4=?=, Jul 15, 2005

  2. 1. Select Run from the Windows Start menu

    2. Type winword.exe /a (you must insert the space before the /a; also, you
    may need to type the entire file path or use the Browse button to locate the
    file)

    3. Click OK

    If Word starts okay, then the problem lies in either the registry data key
    or something located in the Office startup folder. Your first step should be
    to delete the delete the Normal.dot template, as this is the cause of most
    startup problems in Word. For help fixing registry data key problems,
    consult the Microsoft Office Update Support page.

    If Word does not start correctly in safe mode, or if you don't want to get
    into editing your registry, it may be time to reinstall Word.

    Also, post this problem to the microsoft.public.word group, you might be
    able to get more answers there.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    "Jo-Marie Schoeman" <Jo-Marie > wrote in
    message news:...

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005

  3. Not really a suggestion. But the current version, Word 2003, is fine in x64
    Edition. This may be something where the older version did something careless
    with memory and that is very likely to cause problems in x64 Edition. Older
    apps were a lot less scrupulous about how they handled memory.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 15, 2005
  4. True, we are talking about Word 2000 here, circa June 1999.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005
  5. Yes. And it was my polite way of suggesting that there might actually be a
    certain number of critters in it, especially around the way memory is
    handled. I don't think versions of Word that old got the thorough going over
    that later versions now get as a normal part of the MS security review.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 15, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Sm8tTWFyaWUgU2Nob2VtYW4=?=

    roman modic Guest

    Hello,

    "Jo-Marie Schoeman" <Jo-Marie > wrote in
    message news:...
    >I am currently having trouble using Office 2000 in Win XP x64 - whenever I
    > try to change the font in MS Word, whether by simply clicking on the font
    > box, using a keyboard shortcut (ctrl + shift + f) or going to font
    > properties
    > via the menu, Word throws an error report and exits. Furthermore, if I
    > have
    > pasted data etc into Word more than about 3 times, or when I try to paste
    > using the clipboard, Word also throws an error report and exits.
    >
    > I have already tried reinstalling Office, it didn't help. Also, I have
    > installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve the problem.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions?

    Have you applied Service Release 1 and Service Pack 3
    for Office 2000?

    Roman
    roman modic, Jul 15, 2005
  7. "Also, I have installed all available updates, but it still didn't solve the
    problem."

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Sm8tTWFyaWUgU2Nob2VtYW4=?=

    Tocapet Guest

    Well, my Office 2000 works just fine in X64 and I'm still running the trial
    version. Just recd. and email saying my CD will be shipping beginning the
    14th (yesterday!)

    Tocapet, Jul 15, 2005
  9. Look at it this way, you might get it before Longhorn arrives. ;)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005
  10. Andre, you forget that there will be similar delays getting Longhorn as
    well. Some things will never change.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 16, 2005
  11. Oh well, we can only hope for the best.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 16, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Sm8tTWFyaWUgU2Nob2VtYW4=?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Andre:

    I finally found my old Office 2000 disk. It installed, updated
    and functions normally on my test hard drive. Things were complicated
    because it was the upgrade version so I also had to find my Works 2000 CD. I
    use Office 2003 with no problems on my main drives. Spell Check works on
    both versions.

    Dennis Pack, Jul 16, 2005
  13. What was the problem before?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 17, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?Sm8tTWFyaWUgU2Nob2VtYW4=?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Andre:
    I didn't have any problems. I'm only using Office 2003 on my systems. I
    was just installing Office 2000 to see if I would get the same errors that
    were reported but I had no errors on installation or operation. The only
    delay I had was that my Office 2000 was an upgrade and I had to install
    qualifying software also. Thanks for your concern.

    Dennis Pack, Jul 17, 2005
  15. Oh, I see. I think only versions of Office prior to 2000 you would probably
    have problems with on XP x64. I know for certain that spell checker in Word
    97 on 2000/XP does not work under limited accounts.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 18, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?Sm8tTWFyaWUgU2Nob2VtYW4=?=

    Marc Loiry Guest

    I had the same problem when my printer was a network printer.
    Try to put the default printer to a connected printer.
    Hope it will help you.

    Marc
    Marc Loiry, Jul 18, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?Sm8tTWFyaWUgU2Nob2VtYW4=?=

    Marc Loiry, Jul 18, 2005