Woot!! Getting over 40kB/s on P2P!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable speed (I
    should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)

    This is two torrents, both are less than 10 hours old and both have over 450
    seeds and 800 peers each.

    Phew! Ok, back up to 42.3.

    3:30am, the only time UBS seems to work as it should. Just finished gaming,
    got good ping-times. Now I hope to get the latest episodes of NCIS and House
    that just screened today (actually 13th but the states are hours behind) by
    morning. It's a big ask on this 2M connection. They're 350MB files.

    Shite! Just temporarilly peaked at 62kB/s!!! Looks like I may get them
    tonight <fingers crossed> as they'll be throttled in a few hours. Seeby said
    today in nz.comp/general that P2P isn't throttled at all between 2am and
    6am. I was expecting to get at least 200kB/s on such well-seeded torrents if
    that was the case.

    Hmmm, just dropped back to ~20kB/s. I hope this doesn't turn into a
    several-day type download like I've been getting over the last week or two.
    If it was running at full speed I'd have the files in less than two hours.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 14, 2005

  2. ~misfit~

    David Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable speed (I
    > should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)
    >
    > This is two torrents, both are less than 10 hours old and both have over 450
    > seeds and 800 peers each.
    >
    > Phew! Ok, back up to 42.3.
    >
    > 3:30am, the only time UBS seems to work as it should. Just finished gaming,
    > got good ping-times. Now I hope to get the latest episodes of NCIS and House
    > that just screened today (actually 13th but the states are hours behind) by
    > morning. It's a big ask on this 2M connection. They're 350MB files.
    >
    > Shite! Just temporarilly peaked at 62kB/s!!! Looks like I may get them
    > tonight <fingers crossed> as they'll be throttled in a few hours. Seeby said
    > today in nz.comp/general that P2P isn't throttled at all between 2am and
    > 6am. I was expecting to get at least 200kB/s on such well-seeded torrents if
    > that was the case.
    >
    > Hmmm, just dropped back to ~20kB/s. I hope this doesn't turn into a
    > several-day type download like I've been getting over the last week or two.
    > If it was running at full speed I'd have the files in less than two hours.

    Hmmm, 3:30am. What the hell am I doing here. Time to fire up a torrent
    two for comparison.

    David, Dec 14, 2005

  3. ~misfit~

    David Guest

    David wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable
    >> speed (I should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)
    >>
    >> This is two torrents, both are less than 10 hours old and both have
    >> over 450 seeds and 800 peers each.
    >>
    >> Phew! Ok, back up to 42.3.
    >>
    >> 3:30am, the only time UBS seems to work as it should. Just finished
    >> gaming, got good ping-times. Now I hope to get the latest episodes of
    >> NCIS and House that just screened today (actually 13th but the states
    >> are hours behind) by morning. It's a big ask on this 2M connection.
    >> They're 350MB files.
    >>
    >> Shite! Just temporarilly peaked at 62kB/s!!! Looks like I may get them
    >> tonight <fingers crossed> as they'll be throttled in a few hours.
    >> Seeby said today in nz.comp/general that P2P isn't throttled at all
    >> between 2am and 6am. I was expecting to get at least 200kB/s on such
    >> well-seeded torrents if that was the case.
    >>
    >> Hmmm, just dropped back to ~20kB/s. I hope this doesn't turn into a
    >> several-day type download like I've been getting over the last week or
    >> two. If it was running at full speed I'd have the files in less than
    >> two hours.

    > Hmmm, 3:30am. What the hell am I doing here. Time to fire up a torrent
    > two for comparison.

    http://daviddl.orcon.net.nz/hmm.PNG

    About a minute after firing up my BT client. Its interesting to look at
    where the seeds are coming from.

    David, Dec 14, 2005
  4. ~misfit~

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 03:39:54 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> exclaimed:

    >For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable speed (I
    >should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)
    >
    >This is two torrents, both are less than 10 hours old and both have over 450
    >seeds and 800 peers each.
    >
    >Phew! Ok, back up to 42.3.
    >
    >3:30am, the only time UBS seems to work as it should. Just finished gaming,
    >got good ping-times. Now I hope to get the latest episodes of NCIS and House
    >that just screened today (actually 13th but the states are hours behind) by
    >morning. It's a big ask on this 2M connection. They're 350MB files.
    >
    >Shite! Just temporarilly peaked at 62kB/s!!! Looks like I may get them
    >tonight <fingers crossed> as they'll be throttled in a few hours. Seeby said
    >today in nz.comp/general that P2P isn't throttled at all between 2am and
    >6am. I was expecting to get at least 200kB/s on such well-seeded torrents if
    >that was the case.
    >
    >Hmmm, just dropped back to ~20kB/s. I hope this doesn't turn into a
    >several-day type download like I've been getting over the last week or two.
    >If it was running at full speed I'd have the files in less than two hours.

    Pathetic as always from here. It's always slightly better around this
    time, but still nowhere near Xtra's (and probably others) speeds
    24/7...

    Fred Dagg, Dec 14, 2005
  5. ~misfit~

    PAM. Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable speed
    > (I should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)
    >
    > This is two torrents, both are less than 10 hours old and both have over
    > 450 seeds and 800 peers each.
    >
    > Phew! Ok, back up to 42.3.
    >
    > 3:30am, the only time UBS seems to work as it should. Just finished
    > gaming, got good ping-times. Now I hope to get the latest episodes of NCIS
    > and House that just screened today (actually 13th but the states are hours
    > behind) by morning. It's a big ask on this 2M connection. They're 350MB
    > files.
    >
    > Shite! Just temporarilly peaked at 62kB/s!!! Looks like I may get them
    > tonight <fingers crossed> as they'll be throttled in a few hours. Seeby
    > said today in nz.comp/general that P2P isn't throttled at all between 2am
    > and 6am. I was expecting to get at least 200kB/s on such well-seeded
    > torrents if that was the case.
    >
    > Hmmm, just dropped back to ~20kB/s. I hope this doesn't turn into a
    > several-day type download like I've been getting over the last week or
    > two. If it was running at full speed I'd have the files in less than two
    > hours.

    You guys should could yourself lucky. 7kB/s and I'd count myself lucky. But
    then I have no idea how to configure torrent apps for faster speed times.
    Mine is usually around 0-2 (with slingshot). Currently at this time, 0.6ish

    PAM.

    PAM., Dec 14, 2005
  6. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable speed
    > (I should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)
    >
    > This is two torrents, both are less than 10 hours old and both have over
    > 450 seeds and 800 peers each.
    >
    > Phew! Ok, back up to 42.3.
    >
    > 3:30am, the only time UBS seems to work as it should. Just finished
    > gaming, got good ping-times. Now I hope to get the latest episodes of NCIS
    > and House that just screened today (actually 13th but the states are hours
    > behind) by morning. It's a big ask on this 2M connection. They're 350MB
    > files.
    >
    > Shite! Just temporarilly peaked at 62kB/s!!! Looks like I may get them
    > tonight <fingers crossed> as they'll be throttled in a few hours. Seeby
    > said today in nz.comp/general that P2P isn't throttled at all between 2am
    > and 6am. I was expecting to get at least 200kB/s on such well-seeded
    > torrents if that was the case.
    >
    > Hmmm, just dropped back to ~20kB/s. I hope this doesn't turn into a
    > several-day type download like I've been getting over the last week or
    > two. If it was running at full speed I'd have the files in less than two
    > hours.

    Hey ~misfit~
    Trying out Azureus ;-) Averaging 20K here (MS,USA) too, get peaks of 30K.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Dec 14, 2005
  7. ~misfit~

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable speed
    > (I should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)
    >
    > This is two torrents, both are less than 10 hours old and both have over
    > 450 seeds and 800 peers each.
    >
    > Phew! Ok, back up to 42.3.
    >
    > 3:30am, the only time UBS seems to work as it should. Just finished
    > gaming, got good ping-times. Now I hope to get the latest episodes of NCIS
    > and House that just screened today (actually 13th but the states are hours
    > behind) by morning. It's a big ask on this 2M connection. They're 350MB
    > files.
    >
    > Shite! Just temporarilly peaked at 62kB/s!!! Looks like I may get them
    > tonight <fingers crossed> as they'll be throttled in a few hours. Seeby
    > said today in nz.comp/general that P2P isn't throttled at all between 2am
    > and 6am. I was expecting to get at least 200kB/s on such well-seeded
    > torrents if that was the case.
    >
    > Hmmm, just dropped back to ~20kB/s. I hope this doesn't turn into a
    > several-day type download like I've been getting over the last week or
    > two. If it was running at full speed I'd have the files in less than two
    > hours.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Its actually spelt w00t not w00t :p

    xtra 24/7 2mb average 40-80KB on well seeded torrents

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Dec 14, 2005
  8. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable speed (I
    > should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)

    Ugh. You're on 2 megabit? Here on Ihug 256k, the speed ramps up to
    32kB/sec and stays there.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 14, 2005
  9. ~misfit~

    WhoMe Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable
    >> speed (I should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)

    > Ugh. You're on 2 megabit? Here on Ihug 256k, the speed ramps up to
    > 32kB/sec and stays there.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    I've just moved over from 256 ihug to 2M ihug and on well seed torrent
    it runs about 180kB/s

    WhoMe

    WhoMe, Dec 14, 2005
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable
    >>> speed (I should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)
    >>>
    >>> This is two torrents, both are less than 10 hours old and both have
    >>> over 450 seeds and 800 peers each.
    >>>
    >>> Phew! Ok, back up to 42.3.
    >>>
    >>> 3:30am, the only time UBS seems to work as it should. Just finished
    >>> gaming, got good ping-times. Now I hope to get the latest episodes
    >>> of NCIS and House that just screened today (actually 13th but the
    >>> states are hours behind) by morning. It's a big ask on this 2M
    >>> connection. They're 350MB files.
    >>>
    >>> Shite! Just temporarilly peaked at 62kB/s!!! Looks like I may get
    >>> them tonight <fingers crossed> as they'll be throttled in a few
    >>> hours. Seeby said today in nz.comp/general that P2P isn't throttled
    >>> at all between 2am and 6am. I was expecting to get at least 200kB/s
    >>> on such well-seeded torrents if that was the case.
    >>>
    >>> Hmmm, just dropped back to ~20kB/s. I hope this doesn't turn into a
    >>> several-day type download like I've been getting over the last week
    >>> or two. If it was running at full speed I'd have the files in less
    >>> than two hours.

    >> Hmmm, 3:30am. What the hell am I doing here. Time to fire up a
    >> torrent two for comparison.

    > http://daviddl.orcon.net.nz/hmm.PNG
    >
    > About a minute after firing up my BT client. Its interesting to look
    > at where the seeds are coming from.

    Wow! Check out that NZ one! Puts the lie to the Orcon claim that the
    botleneck is Telecom huh? It looks to me more like they've not provisioned
    enough international bandwidth.

    Just what can you believe these days?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 15, 2005
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 03:39:54 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >> For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable
    >> speed (I should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)
    >>
    >> This is two torrents, both are less than 10 hours old and both have
    >> over 450 seeds and 800 peers each.
    >>
    >> Phew! Ok, back up to 42.3.
    >>
    >> 3:30am, the only time UBS seems to work as it should. Just finished
    >> gaming, got good ping-times. Now I hope to get the latest episodes
    >> of NCIS and House that just screened today (actually 13th but the
    >> states are hours behind) by morning. It's a big ask on this 2M
    >> connection. They're 350MB files.
    >>
    >> Shite! Just temporarilly peaked at 62kB/s!!! Looks like I may get
    >> them tonight <fingers crossed> as they'll be throttled in a few
    >> hours. Seeby said today in nz.comp/general that P2P isn't throttled
    >> at all between 2am and 6am. I was expecting to get at least 200kB/s
    >> on such well-seeded torrents if that was the case.
    >>
    >> Hmmm, just dropped back to ~20kB/s. I hope this doesn't turn into a
    >> several-day type download like I've been getting over the last week
    >> or two. If it was running at full speed I'd have the files in less
    >> than two hours.

    > Pathetic as always from here. It's always slightly better around this
    > time, but still nowhere near Xtra's (and probably others) speeds
    > 24/7...

    Yeah I have a mate on Xtra's 2M plan and he says he can download just about
    as fast as he can watch them.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 15, 2005
  12. ~misfit~

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable speed
    > (I should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)
    >
    > This is two torrents, both are less than 10 hours old and both have over
    > 450 seeds and 800 peers each.
    >
    > Phew! Ok, back up to 42.3.

    Yeah....gtk-gnutella has been working very well this week, too.

    Looks like the UBS admins are feeling better about their business model and
    opening up a wee bit.

    steve, Dec 15, 2005
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable
    >> speed (I should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)

    > Ugh. You're on 2 megabit? Here on Ihug 256k, the speed ramps up to
    > 32kB/sec and stays there.

    Yeah, apparently I'm on 2 megabit. For some downloads (around 50MB of Nero
    updates come to mind) I've actually got a consistent speed of 250+ kB/s, got
    the updates in a couple minutes. However, the reason I got 2 megabit wasn't
    to update Nero, once, in the time it took me to make a coffee.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 15, 2005
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    WhoMe wrote:
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable
    >>> speed (I should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)

    >> Ugh. You're on 2 megabit? Here on Ihug 256k, the speed ramps up to
    >> 32kB/sec and stays there.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Nicholas Sherlock

    > I've just moved over from 256 ihug to 2M ihug and on well seed
    > torrent it runs about 180kB/s

    Ihug is sounding better by the minute. With my Orcon connection I did get
    the ~700MB by 12 noon when I finally dragged my spasming back out of bed.
    Seeby says it's gonna get beter in the near future but attributes that to
    new (low-usage_-sign ups coming on-line. However, going by David's download
    speed of "Eating Media Lunch", obviously coming from within NZ, it would
    appear that the problem is international bandwidth, entirely Orcon's
    responsibility, rather than Telecom's restrictions as Seeby's making it out
    to be.

    Short story: Orcon hasn't bought enough international bandwidth and is
    blaming Telecom, claiming congestion of the ATMs.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 15, 2005
  15. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Short story: Orcon hasn't bought enough international bandwidth and is
    > blaming Telecom, claiming congestion of the ATMs.

    There's an easy way for you to confirm this - whilst your P2P is choked
    try running a multi-threaded ftp download from somewhere overseas. If
    the download will max your connection out then the problem isn't bandwidth.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Dec 15, 2005
  16. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Short story: Orcon hasn't bought enough international bandwidth and is
    > blaming Telecom, claiming congestion of the ATMs.

    you can easily get the full speed on http, even international. What pisses me
    off is that they are dictating my usage to me by prioritising one type of
    traffic over another. I didnt get an http and scraps of bandwidth connection, I
    was sold a 256k connection.

    If there connections with telecom are a bottleneck, they need to resolve that,
    not use it as an excuse for limiting my connection to effectivly an http
    connection for several hours per day.

    Richard, Dec 15, 2005
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > Its actually spelt w00t not w00t :p

    Heh! I assume you mean "not woot"?

    > xtra 24/7 2mb average 40-80KB on well seeded torrents

    Bastard. :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 15, 2005
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PAM. wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable
    >> speed (I should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)
    >>
    >> This is two torrents, both are less than 10 hours old and both have
    >> over 450 seeds and 800 peers each.
    >>
    >> Phew! Ok, back up to 42.3.
    >>
    >> 3:30am, the only time UBS seems to work as it should. Just finished
    >> gaming, got good ping-times. Now I hope to get the latest episodes
    >> of NCIS and House that just screened today (actually 13th but the
    >> states are hours behind) by morning. It's a big ask on this 2M
    >> connection. They're 350MB files.
    >>
    >> Shite! Just temporarilly peaked at 62kB/s!!! Looks like I may get
    >> them tonight <fingers crossed> as they'll be throttled in a few
    >> hours. Seeby said today in nz.comp/general that P2P isn't throttled
    >> at all between 2am and 6am. I was expecting to get at least 200kB/s
    >> on such well-seeded torrents if that was the case.
    >>
    >> Hmmm, just dropped back to ~20kB/s. I hope this doesn't turn into a
    >> several-day type download like I've been getting over the last week
    >> or two. If it was running at full speed I'd have the files in less
    >> than two hours.

    > You guys should could yourself lucky. 7kB/s and I'd count myself
    > lucky. But then I have no idea how to configure torrent apps for
    > faster speed times. Mine is usually around 0-2 (with slingshot).
    > Currently at this time, 0.6ish

    Yeah, however, are you paying $50 a month for 1GB, with every 10GB after
    that costing you another $10?

    Some 'luck' you have to pay for. Even then you don't always get it.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 15, 2005
  19. ~misfit~

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable speed

    (I
    > should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)

    That big bloated program?

    Try utorrent

    Craig Sutton, Dec 15, 2005
  20. ~misfit~

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:05:02 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 03:39:54 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> For the first time in weeks Azureus is downloading at a reasonable
    >>> speed (I should have shut up, it's just dropped to 16kB/s)
    >>>
    >>> This is two torrents, both are less than 10 hours old and both have
    >>> over 450 seeds and 800 peers each.
    >>>
    >>> Phew! Ok, back up to 42.3.
    >>>
    >>> 3:30am, the only time UBS seems to work as it should. Just finished
    >>> gaming, got good ping-times. Now I hope to get the latest episodes
    >>> of NCIS and House that just screened today (actually 13th but the
    >>> states are hours behind) by morning. It's a big ask on this 2M
    >>> connection. They're 350MB files.
    >>>
    >>> Shite! Just temporarilly peaked at 62kB/s!!! Looks like I may get
    >>> them tonight <fingers crossed> as they'll be throttled in a few
    >>> hours. Seeby said today in nz.comp/general that P2P isn't throttled
    >>> at all between 2am and 6am. I was expecting to get at least 200kB/s
    >>> on such well-seeded torrents if that was the case.
    >>>
    >>> Hmmm, just dropped back to ~20kB/s. I hope this doesn't turn into a
    >>> several-day type download like I've been getting over the last week
    >>> or two. If it was running at full speed I'd have the files in less
    >>> than two hours.

    >> Pathetic as always from here. It's always slightly better around this
    >> time, but still nowhere near Xtra's (and probably others) speeds
    >> 24/7...

    >Yeah I have a mate on Xtra's 2M plan and he says he can download just about
    >as fast as he can watch them.

    Yep. When we were with Xtra 2Mbps, we could download a ~40 minute
    episode (1 hour less the adverts) in about 22 minutes, consistently.

    Now it takes many hours.

    Fred Dagg, Dec 15, 2005