Woot! Finally got a monitor that I always wanted...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2010.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Crazy really, it went on the plastic and I'm going to be hitting Trademe
    pretty hard in the next few weeks, selling stuff to cover it but still...

    Dell UltraSharp 20" UXGA (1600 x 1200) 4:3 monitor model 2007FPb. Also, I
    got lucky, it's the IPS version!! (Dell were accused of bait-and-switch
    with these, some were IPS and others were PVA-S, some folks who'd seen IPS
    models in showrooms and got PVA-S models delivered weren't happy.) Plus
    mine's a 2008 production date so it's not as old as I'd expected it would
    be.

    Anyway, when I read about these around three years ago I *soooo* wanted one.
    However, at over $1K (closer to $1.5K IIRC) it was simply out of the
    question. However on Monday I got RCN's flyer and they had them for $180 +
    GST (30 left at that time) and I couldn't resist. I've just finished setting
    it up and it's bloody amazing! I don't know how I put up with all those
    crappy TN panels for years.

    LOL, the irony is that I hardly use my desktop anymore and my laptop already
    has a built-in 15" 1400 x 1050 IPS panel that's pretty awesome. Still, I
    couldn't resist. It just looks so good!

    I have a question.... I don't have a DVI cable so it's hooked up with a
    D-SUB VGA thingy. Last time I priced a DVI cable it was ~$25. Will it make
    much difference? (Man, my digital photographs look so good, the details is
    so impressive and the colour is excellent!) What do the hardware folks
    think? Should I go DVI? I mean, I know that I probably should, it's just
    that I've already over-spent, as I've never had the chance to compare I
    don't know how much of a difference it'll make.

    LOL, I'm tempted to use my desktop now. It's a shame that it sucks so much
    power compared to my T60..
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

    ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2010

  2. ~misfit~

    PeeCee Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Crazy really, it went on the plastic and I'm going to be hitting Trademe
    > pretty hard in the next few weeks, selling stuff to cover it but still...
    >
    > Dell UltraSharp 20" UXGA (1600 x 1200) 4:3 monitor model 2007FPb. Also, I
    > got lucky, it's the IPS version!! (Dell were accused of bait-and-switch
    > with these, some were IPS and others were PVA-S, some folks who'd seen IPS
    > models in showrooms and got PVA-S models delivered weren't happy.) Plus
    > mine's a 2008 production date so it's not as old as I'd expected it would
    > be.
    >
    > Anyway, when I read about these around three years ago I *soooo* wanted
    > one. However, at over $1K (closer to $1.5K IIRC) it was simply out of the
    > question. However on Monday I got RCN's flyer and they had them for $180 +
    > GST (30 left at that time) and I couldn't resist. I've just finished
    > setting it up and it's bloody amazing! I don't know how I put up with all
    > those crappy TN panels for years.
    >
    > LOL, the irony is that I hardly use my desktop anymore and my laptop
    > already has a built-in 15" 1400 x 1050 IPS panel that's pretty awesome.
    > Still, I couldn't resist. It just looks so good!
    >
    > I have a question.... I don't have a DVI cable so it's hooked up with a
    > D-SUB VGA thingy. Last time I priced a DVI cable it was ~$25. Will it make
    > much difference? (Man, my digital photographs look so good, the details is
    > so impressive and the colour is excellent!) What do the hardware folks
    > think? Should I go DVI? I mean, I know that I probably should, it's just
    > that I've already over-spent, as I've never had the chance to compare I
    > don't know how much of a difference it'll make.
    >
    > LOL, I'm tempted to use my desktop now. It's a shame that it sucks so much
    > power compared to my T60..
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Shaun.
    >
    > Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

    Hi Shaun

    Did some informal comparisons a couple of years ago (15 & 17" AOC's)
    Couldn't really see any difference.

    Of more interest one doesn't see the 'experts' on here advocating DVI over
    standard D Sub VGA.
    Which suggests any difference is subtle at best.

    Best
    Paul

    PeeCee, Mar 18, 2010

  3. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:35:55 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    > RCN's flyer

    RCN?

    Donchano, Mar 18, 2010
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:35:55 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> RCN's flyer

    > RCN?

    When in doubt stick a 'www' in front of it and a '.co.nz' after it. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2010
  5. ~misfit~

    AD. Guest

    On Mar 18, 3:35 pm, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:
    > Dell UltraSharp 20" UXGA (1600 x 1200) 4:3 monitor model 2007FPb. Also, I
    > got lucky, it's the IPS version!!  (Dell were accused of bait-and-switch
    > with these, some were IPS and others were PVA-S, some folks who'd seen IPS
    > models in showrooms and got PVA-S models delivered weren't happy.) Plus
    > mine's a 2008 production date so it's not as old as I'd expected it would
    > be.

    Got a couple of those on my desk at work. They are nice.

    > I have a question.... I don't have a DVI cable so it's hooked up with a
    > D-SUB VGA thingy. Last time I priced a DVI cable it was ~$25. Will it make
    > much difference? (Man, my digital photographs look so good, the details is
    > so impressive and the colour is excellent!) What do the hardware folks
    > think? Should I go DVI?

    While my current work machine has 2 DVI ports, my previous one had 1
    DVI and 1 VGA with the same monitors.

    You can tell the difference when you have both running side by side
    like that, but the VGA (on that model at least) display was still
    pretty good. With only one monitor, it would be harder to notice.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 18, 2010
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:35:55 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> RCN's flyer

    > RCN?

    Seems you have to be registered to see what they have for sale and prices. I
    get the email as I know the guy who runs the 'shop floor, I showed him how
    to open up his first computer, an Amiga 500.

    ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2010
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Dell UltraSharp 20" UXGA (1600 x 1200) 4:3 monitor model 2007FPb.
    >> Also, I got lucky, it's the IPS version!! (Dell were accused of
    >> bait-and-switch with these, some were IPS and others were PVA-S,
    >> some folks who'd seen IPS models in showrooms and got PVA-S models
    >> delivered weren't happy.) Plus mine's a 2008 production date so it's
    >> not as old as I'd expected it would be.
    >>
    >> I have a question.... I don't have a DVI cable so it's hooked up
    >> with a D-SUB VGA thingy. Last time I priced a DVI cable it was ~$25.
    >> Will it make much difference?

    [snips]
    > Hi Shaun
    >
    > Did some informal comparisons a couple of years ago (15 & 17" AOC's)
    > Couldn't really see any difference.
    >
    > Of more interest one doesn't see the 'experts' on here advocating DVI
    > over standard D Sub VGA.
    > Which suggests any difference is subtle at best.

    Hi Paul. Thanks for that. It's about what I'd heard too and since I've only
    been using low-priced TN panels until now haven't bothered buying a DVI
    cable. It's only because this panel is so damn good that I even contemplated
    it. LOL, pretty hard to do a side-by-side with just the one panel though...

    ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2010
  8. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-03-18, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:35:55 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>> RCN's flyer

    >> RCN?

    > When in doubt stick a 'www' in front of it and a '.co.nz' after it. ;-)

    Wanted short hand for the above. ie xxx means www.xxx.co.nz

    txxx maybe. t for tiny and tim b-l

    Gordon, Mar 18, 2010
  9. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-03-18, PeeCee <> wrote:

    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Crazy really, it went on the plastic and I'm going to be hitting Trademe
    >> pretty hard in the next few weeks, selling stuff to cover it but still...
    >>
    >> Dell UltraSharp 20" UXGA (1600 x 1200) 4:3 monitor model 2007FPb. Also, I
    >> got lucky, it's the IPS version!! (Dell were accused of bait-and-switch
    >> with these, some were IPS and others were PVA-S, some folks who'd seen IPS
    >> models in showrooms and got PVA-S models delivered weren't happy.) Plus
    >> mine's a 2008 production date so it's not as old as I'd expected it would
    >> be.
    >>
    >> Anyway, when I read about these around three years ago I *soooo* wanted
    >> one. However, at over $1K (closer to $1.5K IIRC) it was simply out of the
    >> question. However on Monday I got RCN's flyer and they had them for $180 +
    >> GST (30 left at that time) and I couldn't resist. I've just finished
    >> setting it up and it's bloody amazing! I don't know how I put up with all
    >> those crappy TN panels for years.
    >>
    >> LOL, the irony is that I hardly use my desktop anymore and my laptop
    >> already has a built-in 15" 1400 x 1050 IPS panel that's pretty awesome.
    >> Still, I couldn't resist. It just looks so good!
    >>
    >> I have a question.... I don't have a DVI cable so it's hooked up with a
    >> D-SUB VGA thingy. Last time I priced a DVI cable it was ~$25. Will it make
    >> much difference? (Man, my digital photographs look so good, the details is
    >> so impressive and the colour is excellent!) What do the hardware folks
    >> think? Should I go DVI? I mean, I know that I probably should, it's just
    >> that I've already over-spent, as I've never had the chance to compare I
    >> don't know how much of a difference it'll make.
    >>
    >> LOL, I'm tempted to use my desktop now. It's a shame that it sucks so much
    >> power compared to my T60..
    >> --
    >> Cheers,
    >> Shaun.
    >>
    >> Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    >>

    > Hi Shaun
    >
    > Did some informal comparisons a couple of years ago (15 & 17" AOC's)
    > Couldn't really see any difference.
    >
    > Of more interest one doesn't see the 'experts' on here advocating DVI over
    > standard D Sub VGA.
    > Which suggests any difference is subtle at best.

    Why not let misfit enjoy? It is what he wanted and it is great stuff for
    him.

    We all should be happy for him.

    Gordon, Mar 18, 2010
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Collector_NZ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Crazy really, it went on the plastic and I'm going to be hitting
    >> Trademe pretty hard in the next few weeks, selling stuff to cover it
    >> but still... Dell UltraSharp 20" UXGA (1600 x 1200) 4:3 monitor model
    >> 2007FPb.
    >> Also, I got lucky, it's the IPS version!! (Dell were accused of
    >> bait-and-switch with these, some were IPS and others were PVA-S,
    >> some folks who'd seen IPS models in showrooms and got PVA-S models
    >> delivered weren't happy.) Plus mine's a 2008 production date so it's
    >> not as old as I'd expected it would be.
    >>
    >> Anyway, when I read about these around three years ago I *soooo*
    >> wanted one. However, at over $1K (closer to $1.5K IIRC) it was
    >> simply out of the question. However on Monday I got RCN's flyer and
    >> they had them for $180 + GST (30 left at that time) and I couldn't
    >> resist. I've just finished setting it up and it's bloody amazing! I
    >> don't know how I put up with all those crappy TN panels for years.
    >>
    >> LOL, the irony is that I hardly use my desktop anymore and my laptop
    >> already has a built-in 15" 1400 x 1050 IPS panel that's pretty
    >> awesome. Still, I couldn't resist. It just looks so good!
    >>
    >> I have a question.... I don't have a DVI cable so it's hooked up
    >> with a D-SUB VGA thingy. Last time I priced a DVI cable it was ~$25.
    >> Will it make much difference? (Man, my digital photographs look so
    >> good, the details is so impressive and the colour is excellent!)
    >> What do the hardware folks think? Should I go DVI? I mean, I know
    >> that I probably should, it's just that I've already over-spent, as
    >> I've never had the chance to compare I don't know how much of a
    >> difference it'll make. LOL, I'm tempted to use my desktop now. It's a
    >> shame that it sucks
    >> so much power compared to my T60..

    > Can send you a DVI cable if you want

    That would be brilliant! As AD says the result is better then I'd like to do
    that.

    TYVM. :)

    ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2010
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2010-03-18, PeeCee <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Crazy really, it went on the plastic and I'm going to be hitting
    >>> Trademe pretty hard in the next few weeks, selling stuff to cover
    >>> it but still...
    >>>
    >>> Dell UltraSharp 20" UXGA (1600 x 1200) 4:3 monitor model 2007FPb.
    >>> Also, I got lucky, it's the IPS version!! (Dell were accused of
    >>> bait-and-switch with these, some were IPS and others were PVA-S,
    >>> some folks who'd seen IPS models in showrooms and got PVA-S models
    >>> delivered weren't happy.) Plus mine's a 2008 production date so
    >>> it's not as old as I'd expected it would be.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, when I read about these around three years ago I *soooo*
    >>> wanted one. However, at over $1K (closer to $1.5K IIRC) it was
    >>> simply out of the question. However on Monday I got RCN's flyer and
    >>> they had them for $180 + GST (30 left at that time) and I couldn't
    >>> resist. I've just finished setting it up and it's bloody amazing! I
    >>> don't know how I put up with all those crappy TN panels for years.
    >>>
    >>> LOL, the irony is that I hardly use my desktop anymore and my laptop
    >>> already has a built-in 15" 1400 x 1050 IPS panel that's pretty
    >>> awesome. Still, I couldn't resist. It just looks so good!
    >>>
    >>> I have a question.... I don't have a DVI cable so it's hooked up
    >>> with a D-SUB VGA thingy. Last time I priced a DVI cable it was
    >>> ~$25. Will it make much difference? (Man, my digital photographs
    >>> look so good, the details is so impressive and the colour is
    >>> excellent!) What do the hardware folks think? Should I go DVI? I
    >>> mean, I know that I probably should, it's just that I've already
    >>> over-spent, as I've never had the chance to compare I don't know
    >>> how much of a difference it'll make.
    >>>
    >>> LOL, I'm tempted to use my desktop now. It's a shame that it sucks
    >>> so much power compared to my T60..
    >>> --
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Shaun.
    >>>
    >>> Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    >>>

    >> Hi Shaun
    >>
    >> Did some informal comparisons a couple of years ago (15 & 17" AOC's)
    >> Couldn't really see any difference.
    >>
    >> Of more interest one doesn't see the 'experts' on here advocating
    >> DVI over standard D Sub VGA.
    >> Which suggests any difference is subtle at best.
    >>

    > Why not let misfit enjoy? It is what he wanted and it is great stuff
    > for him.
    >
    > We all should be happy for him.

    Mate, when I first read a review of this monitor in a magazine I was nearly
    drooling and figured that I'd save up and get one (I hadn't got to the price
    yet). However when I did get to the price I just figured that it was one of
    those things that I'd never get to own, like an E-Type Jaguar or a Vincent
    Black Shadow.

    However I'd forgotten about how quickly computer stuff becomes obsolete and
    hadn't allowed for luck. It was really lucky that I read the RCN email as,
    not having money to spend I often delete them unread. Also I believe that it
    was lucky that RCN even had them. I've bought a couple LCDs from RCN in the
    past and, as they deal with ex-lease and ex-corporate stuff it's usually
    middling stuff. Not horrible but not high-end either. I guess that these
    must have come either from the 'upstairs offices' of a business or maybe
    from a CAD business or a business that needed good image quality and colour
    reproduction.

    So, yeah, I'm happy. :) It's not often I get the best. (LOL, there are
    probably better out there but I don't want to know, as you say I'm happy.)

    ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2010
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs AD. wrote:
    > On Mar 18, 3:35 pm, "~misfit~" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Dell UltraSharp 20" UXGA (1600 x 1200) 4:3 monitor model 2007FPb.
    >> Also, I got lucky, it's the IPS version!! (Dell were accused of
    >> bait-and-switch with these, some were IPS and others were PVA-S,
    >> some folks who'd seen IPS models in showrooms and got PVA-S models
    >> delivered weren't happy.) Plus mine's a 2008 production date so it's
    >> not as old as I'd expected it would be.

    > Got a couple of those on my desk at work. They are nice.
    >
    >> I have a question.... I don't have a DVI cable so it's hooked up
    >> with a D-SUB VGA thingy. Last time I priced a DVI cable it was ~$25.
    >> Will it make much difference? (Man, my digital photographs look so
    >> good, the details is so impressive and the colour is excellent!)
    >> What do the hardware folks think? Should I go DVI?

    > While my current work machine has 2 DVI ports, my previous one had 1
    > DVI and 1 VGA with the same monitors.
    >
    > You can tell the difference when you have both running side by side
    > like that, but the VGA (on that model at least) display was still
    > pretty good. With only one monitor, it would be harder to notice.

    Thanks Anton, that's exactly what I wanted to know. With your input and
    Collector's kind offer I'll have an even better picture than the one I have
    now and that's already bloody impressive!

    ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2010
  13. On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:35:55 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Crazy really, it went on the plastic and I'm going to be hitting Trademe
    >pretty hard in the next few weeks, selling stuff to cover it but still...
    >
    >Dell UltraSharp 20" UXGA (1600 x 1200) 4:3 monitor model 2007FPb. Also, I
    >got lucky, it's the IPS version!! (Dell were accused of bait-and-switch
    >with these, some were IPS and others were PVA-S, some folks who'd seen IPS
    >models in showrooms and got PVA-S models delivered weren't happy.) Plus
    >mine's a 2008 production date so it's not as old as I'd expected it would
    >be.
    >
    >Anyway, when I read about these around three years ago I *soooo* wanted one.
    >However, at over $1K (closer to $1.5K IIRC) it was simply out of the
    >question. However on Monday I got RCN's flyer and they had them for $180 +
    >GST (30 left at that time) and I couldn't resist. I've just finished setting
    >it up and it's bloody amazing! I don't know how I put up with all those
    >crappy TN panels for years.
    >
    >LOL, the irony is that I hardly use my desktop anymore and my laptop already
    >has a built-in 15" 1400 x 1050 IPS panel that's pretty awesome. Still, I
    >couldn't resist. It just looks so good!
    >
    >I have a question.... I don't have a DVI cable so it's hooked up with a
    >D-SUB VGA thingy. Last time I priced a DVI cable it was ~$25. Will it make
    >much difference? (Man, my digital photographs look so good, the details is
    >so impressive and the colour is excellent!) What do the hardware folks
    >think? Should I go DVI? I mean, I know that I probably should, it's just
    >that I've already over-spent, as I've never had the chance to compare I
    >don't know how much of a difference it'll make.
    >
    >LOL, I'm tempted to use my desktop now. It's a shame that it sucks so much
    >power compared to my T60..

    THIS IS NOT A IPS version AND ITS Slow 16 ms

    Dell specs.

    Display Type LCD display / TFT active matrix
    Response Time 16 ms <<<< Very Slow..

    http://www.deal-stop.com/MTDE157_Dell-2007FPb-20in-Black-LCD-Monitor.lmsp?refer=froogle

    Frank Williams, Mar 18, 2010
  14. ~misfit~

    AD. Guest

    On Mar 18, 7:11 pm, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs AD. wrote:
    > > You can tell the difference when you have both running side by side
    > > like that, but the VGA (on that model at least) display was still
    > > pretty good. With only one monitor, it would be harder to notice.

    > Thanks Anton, that's exactly what I wanted to know. With your input and
    > Collector's kind offer I'll have an even better picture than the one I have
    > now and that's already bloody impressive!

    It would be worth it if you can get the given the cable, but if you
    don't have a lot of money and had to pay that much for a cable - it
    probably wouldn't be worth it IMO.

    The difference is mostly noticable at times when you want sharp edges
    between pixels. For playing games, looking at photos/movies etc you
    won't notice as much (or any) difference.

    To be honest the feature I most like about the Ultrasharp line is the
    stand - ie the adjustable height and screen rotation. I have one
    monitor landscape and one portrait. Portrait mode is handy when
    coding, reading long webpages and seeing more command line history
    etc.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 18, 2010
  15. On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 00:21:08 -0700 (PDT), "AD." <> wrote:

    >On Mar 18, 7:11 pm, "~misfit~" <>
    >wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs AD. wrote:
    >> > You can tell the difference when you have both running side by side
    >> > like that, but the VGA (on that model at least) display was still
    >> > pretty good. With only one monitor, it would be harder to notice.

    >> Thanks Anton, that's exactly what I wanted to know. With your input and
    >> Collector's kind offer I'll have an even better picture than the one I have
    >> now and that's already bloody impressive!

    >It would be worth it if you can get the given the cable, but if you
    >don't have a lot of money and had to pay that much for a cable - it
    >probably wouldn't be worth it IMO.
    >
    >The difference is mostly noticable at times when you want sharp edges
    >between pixels. For playing games, looking at photos/movies etc you
    >won't notice as much (or any) difference.
    >
    >To be honest the feature I most like about the Ultrasharp line is the
    >stand - ie the adjustable height and screen rotation. I have one
    >monitor landscape and one portrait. Portrait mode is handy when
    >coding, reading long webpages and seeing more command line history
    >etc.

    Its a Crap old Monitor

    Frank Williams, Mar 18, 2010
  16. ~misfit~

    Me Guest

    Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:35:55 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Crazy really, it went on the plastic and I'm going to be hitting Trademe
    >> pretty hard in the next few weeks, selling stuff to cover it but still...
    >>
    >> Dell UltraSharp 20" UXGA (1600 x 1200) 4:3 monitor model 2007FPb. Also, I
    >> got lucky, it's the IPS version!! (Dell were accused of bait-and-switch
    >> with these, some were IPS and others were PVA-S, some folks who'd seen IPS
    >> models in showrooms and got PVA-S models delivered weren't happy.) Plus
    >> mine's a 2008 production date so it's not as old as I'd expected it would
    >> be.
    >>
    >> Anyway, when I read about these around three years ago I *soooo* wanted one.
    >> However, at over $1K (closer to $1.5K IIRC) it was simply out of the
    >> question. However on Monday I got RCN's flyer and they had them for $180 +
    >> GST (30 left at that time) and I couldn't resist. I've just finished setting
    >> it up and it's bloody amazing! I don't know how I put up with all those
    >> crappy TN panels for years.
    >>
    >> LOL, the irony is that I hardly use my desktop anymore and my laptop already
    >> has a built-in 15" 1400 x 1050 IPS panel that's pretty awesome. Still, I
    >> couldn't resist. It just looks so good!
    >>
    >> I have a question.... I don't have a DVI cable so it's hooked up with a
    >> D-SUB VGA thingy. Last time I priced a DVI cable it was ~$25. Will it make
    >> much difference? (Man, my digital photographs look so good, the details is
    >> so impressive and the colour is excellent!) What do the hardware folks
    >> think? Should I go DVI? I mean, I know that I probably should, it's just
    >> that I've already over-spent, as I've never had the chance to compare I
    >> don't know how much of a difference it'll make.
    >>
    >> LOL, I'm tempted to use my desktop now. It's a shame that it sucks so much
    >> power compared to my T60..

    > THIS IS NOT A IPS version AND ITS Slow 16 ms
    >
    > Dell specs.
    >
    > Display Type LCD display / TFT active matrix
    > Response Time 16 ms <<<< Very Slow..
    >

    > http://www.deal-stop.com/MTDE157_Dell-2007FPb-20in-Black-LCD-Monitor.lmsp?refer=froogle

    Where does that say it's not an IPS version?
    Misfit is correct, these came in PVA and IPS panels.
    For photo viewing / editing 16ms gtg response time matters not at all.
    As a tip to differentiate between IPS and PVA, I've noticed that if you
    look at the screen using polarising sunglasses, IPS panels blank out
    when the glasses are in normal orientation, PVA when you turn them 90
    degrees to vertical, TN panels blank out when at 45 degrees.
    OTOH there are all sorts of variants of each type, so that may not apply
    to all, but seems to be true for all current models I've seen.

    Me, Mar 18, 2010
  17. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    >> On 2010-03-18, PeeCee <> wrote:
    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi Shaun
    >>>
    >>> Did some informal comparisons a couple of years ago (15 & 17" AOC's)
    >>> Couldn't really see any difference.
    >>>
    >>> Of more interest one doesn't see the 'experts' on here advocating
    >>> DVI over standard D Sub VGA.
    >>> Which suggests any difference is subtle at best.
    >>>

    >> Why not let misfit enjoy? It is what he wanted and it is great stuff
    >> for him.
    >>
    >> We all should be happy for him.

    > Mate, when I first read a review of this monitor in a magazine I was nearly
    > drooling and figured that I'd save up and get one (I hadn't got to the price
    > yet). However when I did get to the price I just figured that it was one of
    > those things that I'd never get to own, like an E-Type Jaguar or a Vincent
    > Black Shadow.
    >
    > However I'd forgotten about how quickly computer stuff becomes obsolete and
    > hadn't allowed for luck. It was really lucky that I read the RCN email as,
    > not having money to spend I often delete them unread. Also I believe that it
    > was lucky that RCN even had them. I've bought a couple LCDs from RCN in the
    > past and, as they deal with ex-lease and ex-corporate stuff it's usually
    > middling stuff. Not horrible but not high-end either. I guess that these
    > must have come either from the 'upstairs offices' of a business or maybe
    > from a CAD business or a business that needed good image quality and colour
    > reproduction.
    >
    > So, yeah, I'm happy. :) It's not often I get the best. (LOL, there are
    > probably better out there but I don't want to know, as you say I'm happy.)

    Wrong time of year for me, or I may have thought about replacing one or
    2 of my aging 21 trinitrons that are starting to show their age. (cant
    turn them off, take about 5 mins to get focused now)

    Richard, Mar 18, 2010
  18. ~misfit~

    AD. Guest

    On Mar 18, 9:19 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > Its a Crap old Monitor

    Thanks Woger, misfit is probably heartened by your Crapmark (tm).

    After all, it ain't worth buying if Woger doesn't think it's crap.

    > THIS IS NOT A  IPS version

    How do you know? The 2007FP was IPS for a long time, and an ex rental
    is very likely to be IPS regardless of what the current ones are.

    It is a very well regarded monitor:

    http://reviews.dell.com/2341/320-4687/reviews.htm

    The ones I use at work are far better than most other monitors I've
    looked at.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 18, 2010
  19. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Mar 18, 9:19 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >> Its a Crap old Monitor

    > Thanks Woger, misfit is probably heartened by your Crapmark (tm).
    >
    > After all, it ain't worth buying if Woger doesn't think it's crap.
    >
    >> THIS IS NOT A IPS version

    > How do you know? The 2007FP was IPS for a long time, and an ex rental
    > is very likely to be IPS regardless of what the current ones are.
    >
    > It is a very well regarded monitor:
    >
    > http://reviews.dell.com/2341/320-4687/reviews.htm
    >
    > The ones I use at work are far better than most other monitors I've
    > looked at.

    Agreed, you can fill the screen with grey and not think you have used
    the bloody gradient tool like most crap laptop screens.

    Cant do that crap where colours invert when you look from an angle.
    Where laptop and tv makers get off claiming 170+ degrees I dont know,
    but the dell IPS I used a while back was good for at least 30-45 degrees
    off axis viewing still looking _good_ whereas a crap panel looks crap at
    any angle.

    Richard, Mar 18, 2010
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs AD. wrote:
    > On Mar 18, 7:11 pm, "~misfit~" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs AD. wrote:
    >>> You can tell the difference when you have both running side by side
    >>> like that, but the VGA (on that model at least) display was still
    >>> pretty good. With only one monitor, it would be harder to notice.

    >> Thanks Anton, that's exactly what I wanted to know. With your input
    >> and Collector's kind offer I'll have an even better picture than the
    >> one I have now and that's already bloody impressive!

    > It would be worth it if you can get the given the cable, but if you
    > don't have a lot of money and had to pay that much for a cable - it
    > probably wouldn't be worth it IMO.
    >
    > The difference is mostly noticable at times when you want sharp edges
    > between pixels. For playing games, looking at photos/movies etc you
    > won't notice as much (or any) difference.

    I read a lot on my monitors so sharp edges sound good. Also, this was an
    bloodt expensive monitor new, it'd be a shame to cripple it, even just a
    little, by going digital - analogue analogue - digital again when you can
    remove the analogue stage altogether. I remember in the article I read (it's
    amazing how it comes back to you) that in the reviewers opinion it would be
    silly to spend that much on a monitor and the run it on a VGA cable. Ok, I
    didn't spend that much on it but still...

    > To be honest the feature I most like about the Ultrasharp line is the
    > stand - ie the adjustable height and screen rotation. I have one
    > monitor landscape and one portrait. Portrait mode is handy when
    > coding, reading long webpages and seeing more command line history
    > etc.

    The stand is most excellent. The best I've seen by far. Feels well-made too.
    I'm very happy with my monitor.

    ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2010