    To me, wireless data connections seems more suited for 3rd world countries
    and businesses that require mobile connectivity - oh yes, and countries with
    monopolistic telecom monsters.

    JedMeister, Jan 21, 2004

  2. JedMeister

    The Hobbit Guest

    "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    news:KojPb.18655$...
    > Woosh are doing tons of marketing just now. Anyone have anything good to

    say
    > about Woosh broadband internet? Would it be reliable enough to use as a

    24x7
    > business connection?

    I'd like to have them as a backup incase some road crew put a digger bucket
    through the phone cables (again) - I wonder if they'd have an affordable
    plan for such a use?

    The Hobbit, Jan 21, 2004

  3. "JedMeister" <> wrote in

    > Woosh are doing tons of marketing just now. Anyone have anything good
    > to say about Woosh broadband internet? Would it be reliable enough to
    > use as a 24x7 business connection?
    >
    > To me, wireless data connections seems more suited for 3rd world
    > countries and businesses that require mobile connectivity - oh yes,
    > and countries with monopolistic telecom monsters.

    As far as the Marketing goes, I see they haven't used the phrase "Woosh
    It" yet, which could be miscontrued as "Woo Shit" .......

    My penny's worth.

    RH

    Richard Holmes, Jan 21, 2004
  4. JedMeister

    Allistar Guest

    JedMeister wrote:

    > Woosh are doing tons of marketing just now. Anyone have anything good to
    > say about Woosh broadband internet? Would it be reliable enough to use as
    > a 24x7 business connection?
    >
    > To me, wireless data connections seems more suited for 3rd world countries
    > and businesses that require mobile connectivity - oh yes, and countries
    > with monopolistic telecom monsters.

    Are they allowed to legally advertise a 256kb/s connection as "broadband"?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jan 22, 2004
  5. JedMeister

    harry Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:48:47 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > JedMeister wrote:
    >
    >> Woosh are doing tons of marketing just now. Anyone have anything good
    >> to say about Woosh broadband internet? Would it be reliable enough to
    >> use as a 24x7 business connection?
    >>
    >> To me, wireless data connections seems more suited for 3rd world
    >> countries and businesses that require mobile connectivity - oh yes, and
    >> countries with monopolistic telecom monsters.

    > Are they allowed to legally advertise a 256kb/s connection as
    > "broadband"?
    >
    > Allistar.

    Why not ?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Internet

    "The term broadband Internet access, often shortened to "broadband
    Internet" or just "broadband", generically refers to last-mile Internet
    connections exceeding the abilities of standard analog modems and of ISDN
    connections, i.e. connections with speeds above 128 kilobits per second
    (kbit/s)."

    Other definitions welcome, I'd like to see answers giving good reasons why
    some arbitrary rate is or isn't "broadband".
    It seems pretty bloody fuzzy at the moment and we really need another
    "broadband" thread to get that stupid turd Jay trolling the ng again.
    NOT!

    harry, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Allistar wrote:
    >>Woosh are doing tons of marketing just now. Anyone have anything good to
    >>say about Woosh broadband internet? Would it be reliable enough to use as
    >>a 24x7 business connection?
    >>To me, wireless data connections seems more suited for 3rd world countries
    >>and businesses that require mobile connectivity - oh yes, and countries
    >>with monopolistic telecom monsters.

    > Are they allowed to legally advertise a 256kb/s connection as "broadband"?

    I doubt... correction... Im not certain that there is a legal definition
    of broadband... as such, I would think it would be just the commoners
    opinion of what broadband is to them.

    As most users are still on dialup, they would probably deem 256kb/s to
    be fast(compared to what they have), so would probably term it to be
    broadband.

    Personally, I think I read somewhere that 384kb/s(6 x 64kb) is
    broadband, but I'm quite happy with 256kb/s wireless.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 22, 2004
  7. JedMeister

    Jay Guest

    JedMeister wrote:

    > Woosh are doing tons of marketing just now. Anyone have anything good to
    > say about Woosh broadband internet? Would it be reliable enough to use as
    > a 24x7 business connection?

    It isn't broadband because it is *slower* than a 56k dialup modem!
    But there is nothing to stop a NZ company from telling lies.

    > To me, wireless data connections seems more suited for 3rd world countries
    > and businesses that require mobile connectivity - oh yes, and countries
    > with monopolistic telecom monsters.

    Exactly. Wouldn't you expect a more advanced country like the USA to
    have extensive wireless "broadband"?

    Woosh even went so far as to discourage the NZ government from
    opening the local loop to competition.
    And the NZ government took the bait! Apparently they believe
    that having wireless will open up competition against Telecom
    without having to open the local loop. How naive! So where will
    that leave the NZ telecoms industry when their one hope goes
    belly up?

    Jay, Jan 22, 2004
  8. JedMeister

    Jay Guest

    harry wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:48:47 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> JedMeister wrote:
    >>
    >>> Woosh are doing tons of marketing just now. Anyone have anything good
    >>> to say about Woosh broadband internet? Would it be reliable enough to
    >>> use as a 24x7 business connection?
    >>>
    >>> To me, wireless data connections seems more suited for 3rd world
    >>> countries and businesses that require mobile connectivity - oh yes, and
    >>> countries with monopolistic telecom monsters.

    >> Are they allowed to legally advertise a 256kb/s connection as
    >> "broadband"?
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > Why not ?
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Internet
    >
    > "The term broadband Internet access, often shortened to "broadband
    > Internet" or just "broadband", generically refers to last-mile Internet
    > connections exceeding the abilities of standard analog modems and of ISDN
    > connections, i.e. connections with speeds above 128 kilobits per second
    > (kbit/s)."

    That is a ridiculous statement.
    Even ADSL modems are analog.

    Anyhow that web page says "... above 512 kilobits per second ...".

    > Other definitions welcome, I'd like to see answers giving good reasons why
    > some arbitrary rate is or isn't "broadband".
    > It seems pretty bloody fuzzy at the moment and we really need another
    > "broadband" thread to get that stupid turd Jay trolling the ng again.
    > NOT!

    Because most other countries have concluded that broadband needs to
    be at least 512k. In the UK action has been taken against companies
    for misrepresentation based on such claims.

    It also relates to your ability to view a reasonably sized streaming
    video at a reasonable bitrate. You just cannot do that at 128k!
    Your average mpeg4 needs 800kbps.

    Jay, Jan 22, 2004
  9. JedMeister

    Allistar Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >>>Woosh are doing tons of marketing just now. Anyone have anything good to
    >>>say about Woosh broadband internet? Would it be reliable enough to use as
    >>>a 24x7 business connection?
    >>>To me, wireless data connections seems more suited for 3rd world
    >>>countries and businesses that require mobile connectivity - oh yes, and
    >>>countries with monopolistic telecom monsters.

    >> Are they allowed to legally advertise a 256kb/s connection as
    >> "broadband"?

    > I doubt... correction... Im not certain that there is a legal definition
    > of broadband... as such, I would think it would be just the commoners
    > opinion of what broadband is to them.
    >
    > As most users are still on dialup, they would probably deem 256kb/s to
    > be fast(compared to what they have), so would probably term it to be
    > broadband.
    >
    > Personally, I think I read somewhere that 384kb/s(6 x 64kb) is
    > broadband, but I'm quite happy with 256kb/s wireless.

    I's be happy with it too. The problem I have with NZ internet connections is
    that they have reidiculously low data caps, unless you want to download at
    dial-up speeds. I have a 10Gb cap on JetStart which is so easy to consume
    it's not funny.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jan 22, 2004
  10. In <> Jay wrote:
    > JedMeister wrote:
    >
    >> Woosh are doing tons of marketing just now. Anyone have anything good
    >> to say about Woosh broadband internet? Would it be reliable enough to
    >> use as a 24x7 business connection?

    > It isn't broadband because it is *slower* than a 56k dialup modem!
    > But there is nothing to stop a NZ company from telling lies.

    You must have some _really_ fast 56k modems where you live. Over here
    they're limited to a maximum of 56000 bits per second, which is why the
    Woosh 250kbit/s connections are proving so popular. If you want to pay
    for a business plan Woosh also offer 350kbit/s or 500kbit/s speeds.

    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/
    Oh sweet Baby Jesus, if Windows is the OS of the future, please
    let me die now.
    Bryan Chaffin, The Mac Observer

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 22, 2004
  11. On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:48:47 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Are they allowed to legally advertise a 256kb/s connection as "broadband"?

    AFAIK there is no legal definition of broadband in NZ.

    Someone could define 64kb/s as broadband and probably get away with it.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 22, 2004
  12. On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:48:42 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    >> It isn't broadband because it is *slower* than a 56k dialup modem!
    >> But there is nothing to stop a NZ company from telling lies.

    > You must have some _really_ fast 56k modems where you live. Over here
    > they're limited to a maximum of 56000 bits per second, which is why the
    > Woosh 250kbit/s connections are proving so popular. If you want to pay
    > for a business plan Woosh also offer 350kbit/s or 500kbit/s speeds.

    350kb/s to the access point is of no use whatsoever if the link is
    throttled beyond that point to an average throughput of 56kb/s or slower.

    This is a common and old ISP trick.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 22, 2004
  13. JedMeister

    EMB Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:48:42 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >
    > >> It isn't broadband because it is *slower* than a 56k dialup modem!
    > >> But there is nothing to stop a NZ company from telling lies.

    > > You must have some _really_ fast 56k modems where you live. Over here
    > > they're limited to a maximum of 56000 bits per second, which is why the
    > > Woosh 250kbit/s connections are proving so popular. If you want to pay
    > > for a business plan Woosh also offer 350kbit/s or 500kbit/s speeds.

    > 350kb/s to the access point is of no use whatsoever if the link is
    > throttled beyond that point to an average throughput of 56kb/s or slower.
    >
    > This is a common and old ISP trick.

    Woosh seems to be running at or close to advertised speed from what I've
    seen of it. For downloading it benchmarks about 1.8x my jetstream starter.

    EMB

    EMB, Jan 22, 2004
  14. Allistar wrote:
    >>Personally, I think I read somewhere that 384kb/s(6 x 64kb) is
    >>broadband, but I'm quite happy with 256kb/s wireless.

    > I's be happy with it too. The problem I have with NZ internet connections is
    > that they have reidiculously low data caps, unless you want to download at
    > dial-up speeds. I have a 10Gb cap on JetStart which is so easy to consume
    > it's not funny.

    Im on 256k wireless(802.11b) uncapped... infact, at present, Im
    completly uncapped speed wise too(very handy but by no means necessary).

    There will be no caps, it is affordable to the guy running it(a mate) to
    run at breakeven point and fund it from other projects.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 22, 2004
  15. JedMeister

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:44:44 +1100, Jay wrote:

    > JedMeister wrote:
    >
    >> Woosh are doing tons of marketing just now. Anyone have anything good to
    >> say about Woosh broadband internet? Would it be reliable enough to use as
    >> a 24x7 business connection?

    > It isn't broadband because it is *slower* than a 56k dialup modem!
    > But there is nothing to stop a NZ company from telling lies.

    Good live in your world.

    Trouble is from the reports I have read, eg PC WORLD Dec03/Jan04 issuse
    Woosh is clsoe to 256K.

    Gordon, Jan 23, 2004
  16. JedMeister

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:29:12 +1300, harry wrote:

    > Other definitions welcome, I'd like to see answers giving good reasons why
    > some arbitrary rate is or isn't "broadband".

    It is how people define it. What is fast as an example?

    Gordon, Jan 23, 2004