    hi,
    Trying to decide wether to can jetstart and get woosh.. and feedback re
    speed etc... seems a good deal but im not to sure... any ideas?

    Where, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Where

    T.N.O. Guest

    Where wrote:
    > hi,
    > Trying to decide wether to can jetstart and get woosh.. and feedback re
    > speed etc... seems a good deal but im not to sure... any ideas?

    Twice the speed, same price... sounds not to bad.

    T.N.O., Dec 8, 2003

  3. T.N.O. wrote:

    > Where wrote:
    >
    >> hi,
    >> Trying to decide wether to can jetstart and get woosh.. and feedback re
    >> speed etc... seems a good deal but im not to sure... any ideas?

    > Twice the speed, same price... sounds not to bad.

    Twice the speed, _Cheaper_ and doesnt involve telecom.

    Now if only they would hurry the hell up and get signal here!! heh heh

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 8, 2003
  4. Where

    T.N.O. Guest

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    >>> Trying to decide wether to can jetstart and get woosh.. and feedback re
    >>> speed etc... seems a good deal but im not to sure... any ideas?

    >> Twice the speed, same price... sounds not to bad.

    > Twice the speed, _Cheaper_ and doesnt involve telecom.
    > Now if only they would hurry the hell up and get signal here!! heh heh

    Yeah, supposedly they have won the contract for Dunedin, so they should
    be here soon.

    The no Telecom seems to be a biggie for me, I cant stand them(and not
    because I got fired from Teletech/Xtra).

    T.N.O., Dec 8, 2003
  5. Where

    bambam Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in

    >>> Twice the speed, same price... sounds not to bad.

    >> Twice the speed, _Cheaper_ and doesnt involve telecom.
    >> Now if only they would hurry the hell up and get signal here!!
    >> heh heh

    > Yeah, supposedly they have won the contract for Dunedin, so they
    > should be here soon.

    They were bolting stuff on the outside of the Kelvin Hotel in
    Invercargill today. Can't be long to wait now. :)

    --
    If Guys Ruled the World............
    Daisy Duke shorts would never go out of style again.

    bambam, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Where

    XPD Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > The no Telecom seems to be a biggie for me, I cant stand them(and not
    > because I got fired from Teletech/Xtra).

    Heh
    Teletech dont know what theyre doing 1/2 the time anyway ;) . Ive been
    offered a job so many times to work for "Xtra" and turned it down cause I
    know its Teletech....

    XPD, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Where

    Edmond Lo Guest

    I like the fact that you can move the modem around without having to get new
    wiring done. Good for mobile users. However I heard that no all of Auckland
    area is covered yet.

    Edmond Lo, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Where

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "Edmond Lo" <> wrote in

    > I like the fact that you can move the modem around without having to
    > get new wiring done. Good for mobile users. However I heard that no
    > all of Auckland area is covered yet.

    That would be no good for you poor Aucklanders stuck in trafic jams. I
    though trafic was bad in Tauranga at times but the southern motorway at
    5:20pm is not a happy place to be.

    Chris Mayhew, Dec 9, 2003
  9. Where

    T.N.O. Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > That would be no good for you poor Aucklanders stuck in trafic jams. I
    > though trafic was bad in Tauranga at times but the southern motorway at
    > 5:20pm is not a happy place to be.

    Hmmm internet in traffic jams... that could be handy.

    T.N.O., Dec 9, 2003
  10. Where

    will Guest

    > Hmmm internet in traffic jams... that could be handy.

    #### does it work while the modem's moving?

    will.

    will, Dec 9, 2003
  11. Where

    T.N.O. Guest

    will wrote:
    >>Hmmm internet in traffic jams... that could be handy.

    > #### does it work while the modem's moving?

    Dont know... Cant think of any reason why not, it is only a modem
    running off Cell towers isnt it, I wonder if it switches quick enough
    between towers to work?

    Can someone check.

    T.N.O., Dec 9, 2003
  12. Where

    matt Guest

    i just checked out the site
    700mb a month average.
    i hope they dont do a ihug and when a few people download 35gigs a month
    they CAP !!!!

    i wonder what cell towers they use. eg are they telecoms or vodaphone or do
    they put there own up, or is it a different freq.

    matt, Dec 9, 2003
  13. matt wrote:

    > i wonder what cell towers they use. eg are they telecoms or vodaphone or do
    > they put there own up, or is it a different freq.

    Modem lists that its on 2053 to 2082 Mhz

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 9, 2003
  14. T.N.O. wrote:
    > will wrote:
    >>> Hmmm internet in traffic jams... that could be handy.

    >> #### does it work while the modem's moving?

    > Dont know... Cant think of any reason why not, it is only a modem
    > running off Cell towers isnt it, I wonder if it switches quick enough
    > between towers to work?

    Yes, their website says it works fine.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 9, 2003
  15. Where

    matt Guest

    If they dont have to put up their own cell towers then i reckon there would
    be a quick roll out.
    but then i might be dreaming.

    matt, Dec 9, 2003
  16. Where

    John Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >will wrote:
    >>>Hmmm internet in traffic jams... that could be handy.

    >> #### does it work while the modem's moving?

    >Dont know... Cant think of any reason why not, it is only a modem
    >running off Cell towers isnt it, I wonder if it switches quick enough
    >between towers to work?
    >
    >Can someone check.

    Not unless they have changed their mind. I went to a pre launch
    seminar at the AK Uni and they were not offering handover as they were
    partnered with Vodafone. Whoosh technology is basically cell (WCDMA)
    technology and it does have the ability to handover. Vodafone's
    conditions are that they (whoosh) use the Vodafone cell sites was
    they didn't offer this option. You will have to log in again when you
    leave the cell..

    John, Dec 9, 2003
  17. In <JHYAb.11990$> bambam wrote:
    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in

    >>> Twice the speed, _Cheaper_ and doesnt involve telecom.
    >>> Now if only they would hurry the hell up and get signal here!!
    >>> heh heh

    >> Yeah, supposedly they have won the contract for Dunedin, so they
    >> should be here soon.

    > They were bolting stuff on the outside of the Kelvin Hotel in
    > Invercargill today. Can't be long to wait now. :)

    Woohoo! I'm paying $19 per month for dial-up Internet, plus $41 for a
    phone line which I only ever use for Internet access. That's $60 for a
    Telecom/ihug 48kbit/s dial-up connection, versus $65 for a Woosh 250kbit/
    s always-on connection. Gee, I wonder which one I'll be using...

    :eek:)

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz

    Roger Johnstone, Dec 9, 2003
  18. Where

    Mel Guest

    I have been trialling Woosh (formerly Walker Wireless) since 16th July
    2003 and it is fantastic. The Woosh staff have been fantastic also
    working out a laptop problem, after shifting modem from my main computer
    Windows XP to use in the bedroom or lounge on an older Windows ME laptop.

    The separate use of the telephone at the same time is a big big PLUS.

    Looking forward to using it when travelling.

    So far 10/10

    Mel
    Tuatapere

    Mel, Dec 9, 2003
  19. Mel wrote:
    > I have been trialling Woosh (formerly Walker Wireless) since 16th July
    > 2003 and it is fantastic. The Woosh staff have been fantastic also
    > working out a laptop problem, after shifting modem from my main
    > computer Windows XP to use in the bedroom or lounge on an older
    > Windows ME laptop.

    Can you use the modem to keep your coffee warm? (microwave..). :)

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 9, 2003
  20. Where

    T.N.O. Guest

    matt wrote:
    > i just checked out the site
    > 700mb a month average.
    > i hope they dont do a ihug and when a few people download 35gigs a month
    > they CAP !!!!

    Hey, where did you find this info, I just had a look, but cant find it
    in their T&C's

    T.N.O., Dec 9, 2003