Woosh Wireless:- phishing associated with email migration

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg, Feb 19, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Woosh support have their head in the sand. That is allowing phishing
    efforts like the following to go unchecked. How many customers have
    been fooled into revealing their details, I wonder.

    ---- quote ---
    Dear Woosh Email Account Owner,

    The Woosh email server migration due to occur on 16 February 2009 has
    been delayed due to technical reasons. To complete your Woosh webmail
    account, you must reply to this email immediately and enter your
    Password here (*********)

    This message is from Woosh messaging center to all Woosh email account
    owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account
    center. We are deleting all unused Woosh email accounts to create more
    space for new accounts.

    To prevent your account from being closed, you will have to update it
    below so that we will know that it's a present used account.

    CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW

    Email Username : .......... .....
    EMAIL Password : ................
    Date of Birth : .................
    Country or Territory : ..........

    Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account
    within Seven days of receiving this warning will lose his or her
    account permanently.

    Thank you for using Woosh Email Account.
    Warning Code:VSZ991201UT21

    © Copyright Woosh 2009. All rights reserved
     
    , Feb 19, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. starlyte Guest

    wrote:
    > Woosh support have their head in the sand. That is allowing phishing
    > efforts like the following to go unchecked. How many customers have
    > been fooled into revealing their details, I wonder.
    >
    > ---- quote ---
    > Dear Woosh Email Account Owner,
    >
    > The Woosh email server migration due to occur on 16 February 2009 has
    > been delayed due to technical reasons. To complete your Woosh webmail
    > account, you must reply to this email immediately and enter your
    > Password here (*********)
    >
    > This message is from Woosh messaging center to all Woosh email account
    > owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account
    > center. We are deleting all unused Woosh email accounts to create more
    > space for new accounts.
    >
    > To prevent your account from being closed, you will have to update it
    > below so that we will know that it's a present used account.
    >
    > CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW
    >
    > Email Username : .......... .....
    > EMAIL Password : ................
    > Date of Birth : .................
    > Country or Territory : ..........
    >
    > Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account
    > within Seven days of receiving this warning will lose his or her
    > account permanently.
    >
    > Thank you for using Woosh Email Account.
    > Warning Code:VSZ991201UT21
    >
    > © Copyright Woosh 2009. All rights reserved


    Explain to me how you expect woosh stopping people sending you emails
    trying to get your account information
    Best they can really do is remind customers that they will never ask
    customers for passwords
     
    starlyte, Feb 19, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On Feb 20, 12:48 pm, starlyte <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Woosh support have their head in the sand.  That is allowing phishing
    > > efforts like the following to go unchecked.  How many customers have
    > > been fooled into revealing their details, I wonder.

    >
    > > ---- quote ---
    > > Dear Woosh Email Account Owner,

    >
    > > The Woosh email server migration due to occur on 16 February 2009 has
    > > been delayed due to technical reasons. To complete your Woosh webmail
    > > account, you must reply to this email immediately and enter your
    > > Password  here (*********)

    >
    > > This message is from Woosh messaging center to all Woosh email account
    > > owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account
    > > center. We are deleting all unused Woosh email accounts to create more
    > > space for new accounts.

    >
    > > To prevent your account from being closed, you will have to update it
    > > below so that we will know that it's a present used account.

    >
    > > CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW

    >
    > > Email Username : .......... .....
    > > EMAIL Password : ................
    > > Date of Birth : .................
    > > Country or Territory : ..........

    >
    > > Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account
    > > within Seven days of receiving this warning will lose his or her
    > > account permanently.

    >
    > > Thank you for using Woosh Email Account.
    > > Warning Code:VSZ991201UT21

    >
    > > © Copyright Woosh 2009. All rights reserved

    >
    > ...
    > Best they can really do is remind customers that they will never ask
    > customers for passwords


    They have not done that. They have done nothing. They are not
    acknowledging complaints, not keeping their customers informed, and
    not warning that these official-looking emails are not part of the
    email migration process. The phishing email gives us more information
    about the status of the email migration than Woosh itself gives it's
    customers.
     
    , Feb 20, 2009
    #3
  4. Richard Guest

    wrote:

    >
    > They have not done that. They have done nothing. They are not
    > acknowledging complaints, not keeping their customers informed, and
    > not warning that these official-looking emails are not part of the
    > email migration process. The phishing email gives us more information
    > about the status of the email migration than Woosh itself gives it's
    > customers.


    Anyone stupid enough to be with woosh is probably stupid enough to fall
    for that crap despite being told not to so why bother really.
     
    Richard, Feb 20, 2009
    #4
  5. Rob Davison Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Anyone stupid enough to be with woosh is probably stupid enough to fall
    > for that crap despite being told not to so why bother really.


    I get a (reasonably) reliable 1.5Mbit/second connection with a
    5GB cap for $40/month and I'm 50 kilometres from the nearest town
    with traffic lights.

    I'd be interested to hear what better options you think are
    available to me?


    Rob.
    --
    Maple Glen http://www.mapleglen.co.nz/
    Images http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/
     
    Rob Davison, Feb 20, 2009
    #5
  6. Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Rob Davison" <> wrote in message
    news:gnlbue$eas$...
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone stupid enough to be with woosh is probably stupid enough to fall
    >> for that crap despite being told not to so why bother really.

    >
    > I get a (reasonably) reliable 1.5Mbit/second connection with a
    > 5GB cap for $40/month and I'm 50 kilometres from the nearest town
    > with traffic lights.
    >
    > I'd be interested to hear what better options you think are
    > available to me?


    I'll chip in here. If you're willing to put up with the speed/latency there
    are no better options.

    I just moved house and cancelled my Vodafone ADSL before doing so, as I was
    sharing the cost with my flatmates which made the price very reasonable for
    full speed, big cap etc., but with just me using it at the new place it was
    not going to be cost effective at all, especially as I have no need for a
    landline.

    Looking at plans just for myself, the market is *completely* shithouse.

    I compared most of the NZ ISPs (I got bored after doing the main ones and
    some of the smaller ones, so maybe there's some obscure small ISP with a
    great deal that I missed), with a criteria of minimum 5GB cap and faster
    than 512kbps download.

    Spreadsheet here:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pXmXXXG_eedgMk2ZNsubfDg&gid=0

    Cheapest naked plan is only $10 less than the cheapest non-naked ADSL/home
    line plan - not such a great deal when you consider that home line plans
    cost around $45. Where does the $35 difference go?

    In the comparisons in the above spreadsheet, Woosh is far and away the
    cheapest that fits my criteria, at $39.95 it's nearly half the price of the
    next cheapest, Snap's "Naked DSL A" plan for $69.95

    Looks alright on paper ay? Unfortunately for Woosh, I've been with them
    before and swore never to go back. Latency was horrible and even living in
    downtown Auckland I sometimes had problems with it dropping out entirely.

    Given that most of my Internet usage is at work and I'm hardly ever home,
    $70/month for a decent connection, at the cheapest, just doesn't seem
    reasonable so I've opted for no home Internet at all.

    Terrible state of affairs!
     
    Nik Coughlin, Feb 20, 2009
    #6
  7. EMB Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Cheapest naked plan is only $10 less than the cheapest non-naked
    > ADSL/home line plan - not such a great deal when you consider that home
    > line plans cost around $45. Where does the $35 difference go?


    We're being raped by a combination of Telecom profiteering on the naked
    copper (and also international connectivity via SX) and greedy ISPs. A
    $10/month saving and in return you get a unreliable phone with crap call
    quality - thieving bastards really.

    > Given that most of my Internet usage is at work and I'm hardly ever
    > home, $70/month for a decent connection, at the cheapest, just doesn't
    > seem reasonable so I've opted for no home Internet at all.


    Contact Helix - they don't have any wireless pricing on their website at
    the moment but they used to be pretty competitive and light-years ahead
    of Woosh.

    http://helix.net.nz/index.php
     
    EMB, Feb 20, 2009
    #7
  8. Guest

    Re: Woosh Wireless:- phishing associated with email migration -followup

    On Feb 20, 1:16 am, wrote:
    > Woosh support have their head in the sand.  That is allowing phishing
    > efforts like the following to go unchecked.  How many customers have
    > been fooled into revealing their details, I wonder.
    >
    > ---- quote ---
    > Dear Woosh Email Account Owner,
    >
    > The Woosh email server migration due to occur on 16 February 2009 has
    > been delayed due to technical reasons. To complete your Woosh webmail
    > account, you must reply to this email immediately and enter your
    > Password  here (*********)
    >
    > This message is from Woosh messaging center to all Woosh email account
    > owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account
    > center. We are deleting all unused Woosh email accounts to create more
    > space for new accounts.
    >
    > To prevent your account from being closed, you will have to update it
    > below so that we will know that it's a present used account.
    >
    > CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW
    >
    > Email Username : .......... .....
    > EMAIL Password : ................
    > Date of Birth : .................
    > Country or Territory : ..........
    >
    > Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account
    > within Seven days of receiving this warning will lose his or her
    > account permanently.
    >
    > Thank you for using Woosh Email Account.
    > Warning Code:VSZ991201UT21
    >
    > © Copyright Woosh 2009. All rights reserved


    Apparently sufficient numbers of Woosh clients gave out their
    passwords that the Woosh email servers have been swamped by outgoing
    spam.... hence the degraded email service.... emails taking up to five
    hours to get through.
     
    , Feb 24, 2009
    #8
  9. Alan Guest

    Re: Woosh Wireless:- phishing associated with email migration - followup

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >Apparently sufficient numbers of Woosh clients gave out their
    >passwords that the Woosh email servers have been swamped by outgoing
    >spam.... hence the degraded email service.... emails taking up to
    >five
    >hours to get through.
    >


    LOL!

    Where did you hear that from?

    --

    Alan.

    The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:



    This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.

    It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.

    If you are trying to contact me after that time,
    it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
    deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
    to contact me by email, try searching for a
    more recent post by me to find my current
    email address.

    The following is a (probably!) totally unique
    and meaningless string of characters that you
    can use to find posts by me in a search engine:

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
     
    Alan, Feb 24, 2009
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. nospam
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    653
    nospam
    Oct 12, 2005
  2. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,574
  3. ufo_hk
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    376
  4. Toxickiwi

    Woosh to Woosh

    Toxickiwi, Oct 29, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    445
  5. Artreid
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,532
    PA Bear [MS-MVP]
    Aug 26, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page