Woosh - Wellington - looks OK !

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by manuka, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. manuka

    manuka Guest

    Initial trials here in Wellington show "much better than expected"
    2GHz Woosh coverage ! Extensive 2.4GHz WiFi experiences(& decades of
    UHF ham radio) had implied a microwave wireless device with inbuilt
    antenna would have just ~1/2km LOS range. However Woosh signals
    detected well beyond their apparently "not meant to be published"
    coverage map, as shown (it's said) in error "Dom.Post" Infotech on mid
    May 2004 start day. We've found good MOBILE coverage around the
    Wellington waterfront CBD to Mt.Vic, with all the usual WiFi
    LOS/buildings/trees hassles often incidental. Trials along the Hutt
    Motorway/Petone/Seaview/Eastbourne marine drive areas (all across the
    harbour of course) still gave modem reception & several signal bars
    even out to 10km LOS. HOWEVER - 2 way comms did not eventuate at 10km
    even when signal bars indicated good reception. This implies Woosh
    cell site transmitters are powerful & can be heard by the field modem,
    but it's flea power transmitter can not be heard back by the cell
    site. Naturally the UMTS-TDD nature of Woosh/IPWireless digital coding
    could be significant, but phone calls/email to Woosh have not
    clarified this yet...

    Hey-we're Kiwis & take such problems as a #8 wire challenge. Following
    in the style of the celebatred (~100,000 site hits) Chinese "Scoop"
    WiFi antenna we'd rustled up recently(=> www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz
    ),several DIY parabolic designs for Woosh work have also been
    trialled, with the Woosh modem positioned at the parabolic reflector's
    focal point =>www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/woosh.jpg . These indeed also
    GREATLY enhance (16dB ?)Woosh reception, but at 11km LOS across the
    harbour no 2 way comms has yet developed.Grr ! Yet even in negligible
    signal areas(such inside ferrocement buildings)near the inner
    Wellington Basin Reserve we managed good 2 way comms. So how come
    these stronger, but more distant signals are NOT being accepted? Does
    Woosh have some deliberate distance cutoff ? This is W-CDMA,not the
    celebrated GSM 35km limit of course !

    More in depth searching on UMTS/IPWireless/TD-CDMA/W-CDMA etc has not
    given insights either. See the likes of => www.umtstdd.com

    Any comments/similar experiences ? Reply to this group.
    PC Servicing - Massey Uni@Wellington ( via Stan)

    manuka, Jun 6, 2004

  2. manuka

    manuka Guest

    Extra: => www.umtsworld.com/technology/linkbudget.htm <= hints at
    uplink/downlink issues & Okamura-Hata signal coverage. Uplink power
    issues they mention don't really convince in this case, since with
    similar parabolic dishes we've managed p2p 2.4GHz WiFi links of
    ~5km,using weaker gear over a noisier band. Even cheap 470MHz voice
    UHF CB sets will stretch to that distance LOS across water!

    manuka, Jun 6, 2004

  3. manuka

    Roger Ramjet Guest

    (manuka) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Extra: => www.umtsworld.com/technology/linkbudget.htm <= hints at
    > uplink/downlink issues & Okamura-Hata signal coverage. Uplink power
    > issues they mention don't really convince in this case, since with
    > similar parabolic dishes we've managed p2p 2.4GHz WiFi links of
    > ~5km,using weaker gear over a noisier band. Even cheap 470MHz voice
    > UHF CB sets will stretch to that distance LOS across water!

    I can't even see why they are taking Woosh to Wellington. Given the
    choice between a high latency 'wireless' connection (with booster
    aerial?) and a 2mb cable connection, you'd choose the cable connection
    every time. If you wanted wireless you can chuck a 802.11g access
    point in the mix. Bearing in mind of course that TelstraClear don't
    offer service to all of Wellington.

    I think what Woosh are doing in Auckland is great. They were a big
    factor in Telescum increasing their 'low cost' ADSL service to
    256/128. The point being, in Auckland Woosh are up against 256k
    competition; the same cannot be said for Wellington.

    It's potentially a good solution for those who need true mobile
    connections. However, in Auckland it's not even a viable replacement
    for the hugely expensive mobile jetstream service because the coverage
    simply isn't there.

    That said though, wireless technology is under constant development so
    I am sure the Woosh service will get better. Telecom have proved time
    and time again they only improve their service when under threat from
    competition.

    Roger Ramjet, Jun 7, 2004
  4. manuka

    Disco Stu Guest

    manuka wrote:

    > More in depth searching on UMTS/IPWireless/TD-CDMA/W-CDMA etc has not
    > given insights either. See the likes of => www.umtstdd.com
    >

    > Any comments/similar experiences ? Reply to this group.
    > PC Servicing - Massey Uni@Wellington ( via Stan)

    That link is an absolute goldmine for anyone who might be interested in
    hearing a bit more on the topic. Lots of information contained in a
    relatively small space.

    Disco Stu, Jun 7, 2004
  5. manuka

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 18:32:16 -0700, Roger Ramjet wrote:

    > can't even see why they are taking Woosh to Wellington. Given the
    > choice between a high latency 'wireless' connection (with booster
    > aerial?) and a 2mb cable connection, you'd choose the cable connection
    > every time. If you wanted wireless you can chuck a 802.11g access
    > point in the mix. Bearing in mind of course that TelstraClear don't
    > offer service to all of Wellington.

    PSST!!! Heard of competition?

    PSST!!!!!! It is good for the consumer.

    FWA

    Gordon, Jun 7, 2004
  6. manuka

    manuka Guest

    Woops- that UMTS link should be an "org" not a "com". Try
    =>http://www.umtstdd.org/

    Found good Woosh signals on Mall rooftop carpark inner L.Hutt, but
    setup refused (again) to connect. This is LOS ~13km from their inner
    Wellington POP sites, so suspect they indeed have limited cell radius
    to just a few km. Might do an acid test on harbour ferry ?!

    manuka, Jun 7, 2004
  7. manuka

    manuka Guest

    Update - finally got out of Woosh that "their cell sites have coverage
    restricted to a 6.5km radius ". Hence this means line of sight (LOS)
    across 10km of Wellington Harbour will be impossible, even though
    signal strength & quality(delta)still VERY high. Bugger! A trial from
    Eastbourne (11km) had ~25% signal & a quality delta of ~ +4 as
    well(both much better than some closer links !).

    When in inner Wellington,close in speed tests (even with mediocre
    signals) have been much as claimed & typically average 20kBytes per
    sec even with only a few % signal & delta quality a poor -4 or so. As
    a demo,~1.2MB NetStumbler 0.4 downloaded <1 minute, whereas dial up
    would have typically taken 3-4 minutes for this.

    manuka, Jun 18, 2004
  8. manuka

    Divine Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:01:12 -0700, manuka wrote:

    > Update - finally got out of Woosh that "their cell sites have coverage
    > restricted to a 6.5km radius ". Hence this means line of sight (LOS)
    > across 10km of Wellington Harbour will be impossible, even though
    > signal strength & quality(delta)still VERY high. Bugger! A trial from
    > Eastbourne (11km) had ~25% signal & a quality delta of ~ +4 as
    > well(both much better than some closer links !).
    >
    > When in inner Wellington,close in speed tests (even with mediocre
    > signals) have been much as claimed & typically average 20kBytes per
    > sec even with only a few % signal & delta quality a poor -4 or so. As
    > a demo,~1.2MB NetStumbler 0.4 downloaded <1 minute, whereas dial up
    > would have typically taken 3-4 minutes for this.

    Good.

    That means downloading the ISOs of a new release of Mandrake would only
    take about a day instead of about a week. :eek:)

    Divine

    --
    "Gay, lesbian and bisexual people are often portrayed as a threat to all
    that is good and decent. When we seek the SAME rights as others, these

    Divine, Jun 19, 2004