Woosh VoIP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Philip, Sep 14, 2005.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    Philip, Sep 14, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Philip wrote:
    > Woosh launched a VoIP service, so does it mean they solved their
    > latency problem?


    It probably means that they signed a deal with Vodafone saying that they
    can do it... I seem to recall hearing something about them not being
    allowed to do "real time applications" or similar.

    > http://www.woosh.com/ContentClient/Phone/PhonePricing.aspx
    > It's really expensive, especially compared with www.italk.co.nz or
    > www.sipserve.co.nz. $20 to $25 on top of their required data plans,
    > compared with about $10 for italk and sipserve.




    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 15, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Philip

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Woosh launched a VoIP service, so does it mean they solved their
    > latency problem?
    >
    > http://www.woosh.com/ContentClient/Phone/PhonePricing.aspx
    >
    > It's really expensive, especially compared with www.italk.co.nz or
    > www.sipserve.co.nz. $20 to $25 on top of their required data plans,
    > compared with about $10 for italk and sipserve.
    >

    You'd have to be crazy to sign up; woosh can't even handle a data
    service, and although I'm sure the guys working the helpdesk are doing
    their best, the end product is awful.

    I have just wasted *hours* trying to sort out a woosh connectivity
    problem for a friend, and given woosh far more time and information than
    they could reasonably expect - and at the end of the day, they seem
    prepared to walk away from it. I don't see how the company can be viable
    if even half their customers need to make the same demands on their time
    for the same end result.

    The problem? PC+modem (and that is any PC) can connect in one cell, but
    not another - even though the signal is better at the second. There is
    some dispute whether the second site is in their coverage area or not
    (Woosh can't seem to agree amongst themselves), but I figure if we're
    getting a very good signal, there should be no problem.

    Woosh' most recent response - the signal path over water must be causing
    problems. Funny, cos my cellphone works just fine connecting to cells
    across the harbour - how is woosh different?

    I'm sure some people are finding Woosh is fine and use it without any
    problems. They won't have experienced the joys of trying to figure out
    what is wrong using the crap dialler and software they provide - it is
    appalling.

    All IMHO, and YMMV, but I'm pissed off. I wouldn't consider adding
    something as basic and "always on" as phone service to the mix.

    ======================

    Footnote - if Woosh can offer a 3G service for $40/GB, why do I have to
    pay the equivalent of $10,000/GB for GPRS access through my cellphone?
     
    -=rjh=-, Sep 15, 2005
    #3
  4. -=rjh=- wrote:
    > The problem? PC+modem (and that is any PC) can connect in one cell, but
    > not another - even though the signal is better at the second. There is
    > some dispute whether the second site is in their coverage area or not
    > (Woosh can't seem to agree amongst themselves), but I figure if we're
    > getting a very good signal, there should be no problem.
    >
    > Woosh' most recent response - the signal path over water must be causing
    > problems. Funny, cos my cellphone works just fine connecting to cells
    > across the harbour - how is woosh different?


    Woosh put a distance limit of 6.5kms from memory, so even if signal
    strength is good, you won't be able to use it.

    > Footnote - if Woosh can offer a 3G service for $40/GB, why do I have to
    > pay the equivalent of $10,000/GB for GPRS access through my cellphone?


    because they can :)

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 15, 2005
    #4
  5. Philip

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:49:13 -0700, Philip wrote:

    > Woosh launched a VoIP service, so does it mean they solved their
    > latency problem?
    >
    > http://www.woosh.com/ContentClient/Phone/PhonePricing.aspx
    >
    > It's really expensive, especially compared with www.italk.co.nz or
    > www.sipserve.co.nz. $20 to $25 on top of their required data plans,
    > compared with about $10 for italk and sipserve.


    The VoIP phone is planned to replace Telecoms landline phone. So its not
    really expensive after all eh?

    People we should welcome, and encourage this competition, for we do need
    it.
     
    Gordon, Sep 15, 2005
    #5
  6. In <> Philip wrote:

    > Woosh launched a VoIP service, so does it mean they solved their
    > latency problem?


    God I hope so, then I'd be able to use Skype (or similar) :eek:)

    I got an email today from Woosh announcing the new phone service. I had
    to retrieve it from my junk mail folder though, because their own server-
    side filters had marked it as spam! Like so:

    SPAM:: It's the best thing since broadband.

    I don't think many people would agree with that.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/
    ________________________________________________________________________
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

    Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"
     
    Roger Johnstone, Sep 15, 2005
    #6
  7. In <> -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Philip wrote:


    >> Woosh launched a VoIP service, so does it mean they solved their
    >> latency problem?


    > Woosh' most recent response - the signal path over water must be
    > causing problems. Funny, cos my cellphone works just fine connecting
    > to cells across the harbour - how is woosh different?


    Your phone uses GSM, whereas Woosh uses W-CDMA.


    <snip>
    > Footnote - if Woosh can offer a 3G service for $40/GB, why do I have
    > to pay the equivalent of $10,000/GB for GPRS access through my
    > cellphone?



    Where did you get that figure from? Vodafone's data pricing is here:
    http://tinyurl.com/97w8e
    According to this, 1Gb should cost you $150 + GST.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand
    www.alastair.geek.nz

    My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    posting.
     
    Alastair .geek.nz, Sep 15, 2005
    #7
  8. Philip

    Richard Guest

    Alastair .geek.nz wrote:
    > In <> -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Philip wrote:

    >
    >
    >>>Woosh launched a VoIP service, so does it mean they solved their
    >>>latency problem?

    >
    >
    >>Woosh' most recent response - the signal path over water must be
    >>causing problems. Funny, cos my cellphone works just fine connecting
    >>to cells across the harbour - how is woosh different?

    >
    >
    > Your phone uses GSM, whereas Woosh uses W-CDMA.
    >
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Footnote - if Woosh can offer a 3G service for $40/GB, why do I have
    >>to pay the equivalent of $10,000/GB for GPRS access through my
    >>cellphone?

    >
    >
    >
    > Where did you get that figure from? Vodafone's data pricing is here:
    > http://tinyurl.com/97w8e
    > According to this, 1Gb should cost you $150 + GST.


    Because he is on prepay so paying the casual rate most likly
     
    Richard, Sep 15, 2005
    #8
  9. Philip

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Alastair .geek.nz wrote:
    >
    >> In <> -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Philip wrote:

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>> Woosh launched a VoIP service, so does it mean they solved their
    >>>> latency problem?

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> Woosh' most recent response - the signal path over water must be
    >>> causing problems. Funny, cos my cellphone works just fine connecting
    >>> to cells across the harbour - how is woosh different?

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Your phone uses GSM, whereas Woosh uses W-CDMA.
    >>
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> Footnote - if Woosh can offer a 3G service for $40/GB, why do I have
    >>> to pay the equivalent of $10,000/GB for GPRS access through my
    >>> cellphone?

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Where did you get that figure from? Vodafone's data pricing is here:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/97w8e
    >> According to this, 1Gb should cost you $150 + GST.

    >
    >
    > Because he is on prepay so paying the casual rate most likly


    That's right; that's why I said "equivalent". I know I'm not really
    being fair to Vodaphone in that comparison, but for casual use their
    rates are insane. I think that they are probably a real disincentive for
    getting the market to adopt new usage habits - so much for the
    "knowledge economy" (and how much has *that* phrase featured in the run
    up to these elections?)
     
    -=rjh=-, Sep 15, 2005
    #9
  10. Philip

    Richard Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    >> Because he is on prepay so paying the casual rate most likly

    >
    >
    > That's right; that's why I said "equivalent". I know I'm not really
    > being fair to Vodaphone in that comparison, but for casual use their
    > rates are insane. I think that they are probably a real disincentive for
    > getting the market to adopt new usage habits - so much for the
    > "knowledge economy" (and how much has *that* phrase featured in the run
    > up to these elections?)


    But they have reduced it a lot on 3g where the network has the capacity.

    look, they only charge you $3.50 to get a song at wonderous 32 or 48 kbit - they
    call it "stereo quality" what ever that means. and you can video call for the
    same price as a voice call, so it has come down a lot since the 10c/10k was
    introduced.
     
    Richard, Sep 15, 2005
    #10
  11. Philip

    Richard Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Woosh launched a VoIP service, so does it mean they solved their
    > latency problem?
    >
    > http://www.woosh.com/ContentClient/Phone/PhonePricing.aspx
    >
    > It's really expensive, especially compared with www.italk.co.nz or
    > www.sipserve.co.nz. $20 to $25 on top of their required data plans,
    > compared with about $10 for italk and sipserve.


    Very little information from them.

    Cant compare with italk/sipserve as they have control over the layer3 and below
    so can ensure it works properly whereas 3rd party providors are at the whim of
    your ISP, also the woosh voice call wont count against the usage, which is a
    good thing considering how low there caps are on there service.

    What I would like is if they would tell you what that weird looking thing they
    have the modem sitting in is, its connecting to the routers socket and theres no
    mention I could find of its connectivity to the PCs for the internet connection,
    or even if that weird looking thing is even involved in the internet connection.

    I was hoping to be able to plug a woosh modem into an asterisk box and configure
    it with SIP or IAX and be done, but it looks like you must get there damn
    hardware. They do offer a softphone option with what looks like xlite on there
    screens so it _may_ be possible. I dont really want there internet connection,
    just the option for more lines into the place without contributing to telecom,
    and I cant use VOIP over the ADSL as its too slow as it is with 3 people using
    it heavily
     
    Richard, Sep 15, 2005
    #11
  12. In <43293628$> -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Richard wrote:


    >> Because he is on prepay so paying the casual rate most likly


    > That's right; that's why I said "equivalent". I know I'm not really
    > being fair to Vodaphone in that comparison, but for casual use their
    > rates are insane. I think that they are probably a real disincentive
    > for getting the market to adopt new usage habits - so much for the
    > "knowledge economy" (and how much has *that* phrase featured in the
    > run up to these elections?)


    If you're using a prepaid phone, then you've only got yourself to blame
    for the fact that you're getting ripped off.

    The problem with prepaid phone connections is that they appeal mainly to
    teenagers, as they are too young to apply for credit and therefore can't
    be offered a billed account. The fact that teenagers are inexperienced
    at managing their finances, coupled with the fact that prepaid
    connections do not offer any regular statement, makes it easy for the
    phone companies to get away with selling GPRS, ringtones, news bulletins,
    games, etc. at astronomicallly high prices.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand
    www.alastair.geek.nz

    My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    posting.
     
    Alastair .geek.nz, Sep 15, 2005
    #12
  13. Philip

    Richard Guest

    Alastair .geek.nz wrote:

    > If you're using a prepaid phone, then you've only got yourself to blame
    > for the fact that you're getting ripped off.
    >
    > The problem with prepaid phone connections is that they appeal mainly to
    > teenagers, as they are too young to apply for credit and therefore can't
    > be offered a billed account. The fact that teenagers are inexperienced
    > at managing their finances, coupled with the fact that prepaid
    > connections do not offer any regular statement, makes it easy for the
    > phone companies to get away with selling GPRS, ringtones, news bulletins,
    > games, etc. at astronomicallly high prices.


    Prepay also suits people that want to get a phone for incoming calls only for
    example selling things in the T&E - I used to have 4 or 5 sim cards that I would
    rotate thru as I was selling things. I would put one in after not using it for 2
    months and then get innundated with texts from people asking if the computer was
    still for sale etc despite it being in the one 3 weeks prior to them texting.
    Thankfully trademe has eliminated that requirement (Also T&E wouldnt print
    "calls only, no texts" beside the number)

    The ringtones for sale from vodafone themselves are just taking advantage of
    people too lazy or stupid to find them on the internet and beam them across via
    IR or bluetooth, and there new lo-fi overpriced music store is something that
    has everyone I know scratching there heads wondering why the hell...
     
    Richard, Sep 15, 2005
    #13
  14. At that very moment, Alastair .geek.nz turned to nz.comp and said
    > Where did you get that figure from? Vodafone's data pricing is here:
    > http://tinyurl.com/97w8e
    > According to this, 1Gb should cost you $150 + GST.


    If you're prepared to always pay $150 per month, regardless of whether
    you use it.
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
     
    Aaron Lawrence, Sep 15, 2005
    #14
  15. In <> Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > At that very moment, Alastair .geek.nz turned to nz.comp and said


    >> Where did you get that figure from? Vodafone's data pricing is here:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/97w8e
    >> According to this, 1Gb should cost you $150 + GST.


    > If you're prepared to always pay $150 per month, regardless of whether
    > you use it.


    Any with any telecommunications service, you need to judge what plan is
    most cost effective for your requirements. There are a range of GPRS
    plans for people to choose from, but the 1Gb plan is there as an option
    for those who require it.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand
    www.alastair.geek.nz

    My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    posting.
     
    Alastair .geek.nz, Sep 15, 2005
    #15
  16. Alastair .geek.nz wrote:
    >>Footnote - if Woosh can offer a 3G service for $40/GB, why do I have
    >>to pay the equivalent of $10,000/GB for GPRS access through my
    >>cellphone?


    > Where did you get that figure from? Vodafone's data pricing is here:
    > http://tinyurl.com/97w8e
    > According to this, 1Gb should cost you $150 + GST.


    and even then, they say it is unlimited, and they wont charge you
    anymore than the 150... I was tempted to use it for a full time net
    connection.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 15, 2005
    #16
  17. T'was the 15 Sep 2005 22:16:52 +1200 when I remembered Alastair
    ..geek.nz <> saying something like this:

    >The problem with prepaid phone connections is that they appeal mainly to
    >teenagers, as they are too young to apply for credit and therefore can't
    >be offered a billed account. The fact that teenagers are inexperienced
    >at managing their finances, coupled with the fact that prepaid
    >connections do not offer any regular statement, makes it easy for the
    >phone companies to get away with selling GPRS, ringtones, news bulletins,
    >games, etc. at astronomicallly high prices.


    And you should see the fact with hotlink, you can top up straight from
    your BNZ account by texting the pin number of your eftpos card to
    vodafone and that's it.

    Spending money has never been easier.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
     
    Waylon Kenning, Sep 16, 2005
    #17
  18. Philip

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Alastair .geek.nz wrote:
    > In <43293628$> -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Richard wrote:

    >
    >
    >>>Because he is on prepay so paying the casual rate most likly

    >
    >
    >>That's right; that's why I said "equivalent". I know I'm not really
    >>being fair to Vodaphone in that comparison, but for casual use their
    >>rates are insane. I think that they are probably a real disincentive
    >>for getting the market to adopt new usage habits - so much for the
    >>"knowledge economy" (and how much has *that* phrase featured in the
    >>run up to these elections?)

    >
    >
    > If you're using a prepaid phone, then you've only got yourself to blame
    > for the fact that you're getting ripped off.


    I disagree - you don't even know what my phone usage is, so I don't see
    how you can justify a comment like that. For example, my total prepay
    costs for the last couple of years is probably around $100.00.

    I'm not saying I'm getting ripped off, I was merely pointing out the
    rate casual data is charged for.
    >
    > The problem with prepaid phone connections is that they appeal mainly to
    > teenagers, as they are too young to apply for credit and therefore can't
    > be offered a billed account. The fact that teenagers are inexperienced
    > at managing their finances, coupled with the fact that prepaid
    > connections do not offer any regular statement, makes it easy for the
    > phone companies to get away with selling GPRS, ringtones, news bulletins,
    > games, etc. at astronomicallly high prices.
    >

    Again, I disagree with your comments above - and why pick on teenagers
    particularly? A lot of adults cannot manage their finances, either, and
    I know teenagers and younger who manage very well.

    Prepay is used by many of my friends, and we are definitely not
    teenagers. I think prepay is probably used by a lot of people whose
    primary use of the phone is not business, or who make few or only wish
    to accept incoming calls.

    I fail to see how prepay iself, and especially in my case is a worse
    decision than a fixed monthly charge.
     
    -=rjh=-, Sep 16, 2005
    #18
  19. Philip

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Alastair .geek.nz wrote:
    > In <> -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Philip wrote:

    >
    >
    >>>Woosh launched a VoIP service, so does it mean they solved their
    >>>latency problem?

    >
    >
    >>Woosh' most recent response - the signal path over water must be
    >>causing problems. Funny, cos my cellphone works just fine connecting
    >>to cells across the harbour - how is woosh different?

    >
    >
    > Your phone uses GSM, whereas Woosh uses W-CDMA.


    I thought Telecom 025 phones used CDMA?
     
    -=rjh=-, Sep 16, 2005
    #19
  20. In <432a63c9$> -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Alastair .geek.nz wrote:


    >> Your phone uses GSM, whereas Woosh uses W-CDMA.


    > I thought Telecom 025 phones used CDMA?


    Nope.

    Telecom 025 : TDMA (or AMPS on really old handsets)
    Telecom 027 : CDMA 1xRTT and CDMA EV-DO
    Vodafone : GSM / 3GSM (or UMTS as it used to be known)
    Woosh : W-CDMA

    Technically, 3GSM is based on W-CDMA technology, but legacy GSM handsets
    use a completely different air interface.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand
    www.alastair.geek.nz

    My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    posting.
     
    Alastair .geek.nz, Sep 16, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. joseph
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,377
  2. tony11

    No word about woosh yet?

    tony11, Sep 14, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    346
    Richard Malcolm-Smith
    Sep 15, 2003
  3. Carl Elphick

    Woosh pricing!

    Carl Elphick, Sep 15, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    29
    Views:
    805
    Richard Malcolm-Smith
    Sep 17, 2003
  4. Evil Bastard

    The REAL question about 'woosh'

    Evil Bastard, Sep 15, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    657
    Shane Anderson
    Sep 17, 2003
  5. Toxickiwi

    Woosh to Woosh

    Toxickiwi, Oct 29, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    436
Loading...

Share This Page