Woosh Usage

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Paddy, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. Paddy

    Paddy Guest

    Peter <> wrote
    > Woosh has a 10 gig cap then they kick you back to 56kbps. Do they do
    > this because the traffic is off shore and they incur some sort of
    > expanse. ? Or does my usage restrict others by putting to much
    > pressure on locally?

    It used to be 40 Gig when I signed up over a year ago. They maintain
    that the change is only 'terms and conditions', which they say they
    are permitted to change.

    You will notice that before reaching your traffic cap that you can
    maintain pretty much the full 256k bandwidth that they offer, for
    days at a time, with only the occasional dip. So their network,
    at least where I live, is not under stress.

    My personal theory is that they are freeing up bandwidth to
    release or re-sell, but that question was ignored when I put it
    to them. Clearly, they haven't been adopted as widely as I
    had thought when I signed on, so maybe they are trimming their
    cloth to suit their position.

    In another thread you ask about latency. This can be measured
    by dropping into a DOS shell and doing a ping on the site of
    interest. For example 'ping bbc.news.co.uk' just gave me a
    result of about 450 ms, or just under half a second. Usually
    Woosh is much worse than this, making it impossible to play
    FPS games, or even Everquest, although I have been able to
    play NWN in a slower roleplaying setting. Maybe recent
    changes to the network have speeded things up, but don't
    count on it.

    Paddy
    Paddy, Dec 11, 2004