    However I do get 256K ADSL speeds.
    I could use the woosh modem mobile (on laptop) as it has rechargeable
    battery like a mobile phone.

    Robert, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Robert

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:57:44 +1300, Robert wrote:

    > Due to Telecom not coming to the party and making my line ADSl capable I am
    > trying out woosh.

    > However I do get 256K ADSL speeds.

    Psst, ADSL runs over copper wires of the telephone line

    Gordon, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Robert

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:57:44 +1300, Robert wrote:

    > Due to Telecom not coming to the party and making my line ADSl capable I am
    > trying out woosh.
    > I live in Auckland well within the 50km radius of
    > http://www.woosh.com/UserInterface/Woosh/Static/Roaming/Roaming.aspx
    > However I had to get an additional aerial as it wouldn't work without it.

    So, use it. Simple eh?

    > You can only have one email address - have to pay for extra email addresses.

    Now that is not logical. You can but you need pay yes?

    From the woosh web site, members area

    A standard email account comes with 5 alias email addresses. This enables
    you to have 5 separate email addresses all going to the same mail box.

    If you require any additional email accounts, these are $2.40 + GST per month.
    This will enable you to have separate mail boxes. Each of these also
    comes with 5 alias email addresses.

    If you want either delete or add alias email to a particular email
    address, then click on the 'manage' button next to each address.

    Unquote.

    So its kinda like 5 auto forwarders for nix.

    > Don't have home page facility.

    What do you mean by this? A portal?

    > Don't have virus & spam protection
    > No news server

    This I have to say, is ONE point I hold right against Woosh. The work
    around is to go to Germany, and use News.Individual.Net, a free news
    server.

    Also you are in the helping to provide competition to Telecom camp. Good
    on you. Competition is good for customers.

    Gordon, Oct 24, 2004
  4. On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:57:44 +1300, Robert <> wrote:
    > Due to Telecom not coming to the party and making my line ADSl capable I
    > am trying out woosh.
    > I live in Auckland well within the 50km radius of
    > http://www.woosh.com/UserInterface/Woosh/Static/Roaming/Roaming.aspx
    > However I had to get an additional aerial as it wouldn't work without
    > it.

    > You can only have one email address - have to pay for extra email
    > addresses.

    To be pedantic, that is one account as standard, with five email aliases
    going into one mailbox.

    To quote the part of the web site where you set these up -
    https://www.woosh.com/MailClient/ui/Mail.aspx

    "A standard email account comes with 5 alias email addresses. This enables
    you to have 5 separate email addresses all going to the same mail box.

    If you require any additional email accounts, these are $2.40 + GST per
    month. This will enable you to have separate mail boxes. Each of these
    also comes with 5 alias email addresses. "

    I presume that they have now sorted out the bugs with this.

    When I joined, I set up some aliases, and later got an apologetic request
    from Woosh that I give one of them up, as they had later allocated it as
    another customers primary email account.

    > Don't have home page facility.
    > Don't have virus & spam protection
    > No news server

    Agreed that is a nuisance - but then I kept my previous dial up account
    with another ISP, and at present I can usually access their news server
    via woosh.

    > However I do get 256K ADSL speeds.
    > I could use the woosh modem mobile (on laptop) as it has rechargeable
    > battery like a mobile phone.

    Martin.

    --
    Martin Bonham, Auckland, (Aotearoa) New Zealand.

    Home of Middle Earth, Whale Rider and now also Narnia.

    Martin Bonham, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Robert

    R Webby Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote in message news:<njBed.13611$>...
    > Due to Telecom not coming to the party and making my line ADSl capable I am
    > trying out woosh.
    > I live in Auckland well within the 50km radius of
    > http://www.woosh.com/UserInterface/Woosh/Static/Roaming/Roaming.aspx
    > However I had to get an additional aerial as it wouldn't work without it.
    > You can only have one email address - have to pay for extra email addresses.
    > Don't have home page facility.
    > Don't have virus & spam protection
    > No news server
    >
    > However I do get 256K ADSL speeds.
    > I could use the woosh modem mobile (on laptop) as it has rechargeable
    > battery like a mobile phone.

    I have Woosh and joining them was the best thing I did. No problems
    at!!
    Newsgroups can be downloaded from Google for free as can anti virus
    programmes. Go to Spamfighter and download their free anti spam
    programme. It works well

    R Webby, Oct 24, 2004
  6. In <njBed.13611$> Robert wrote:

    Due to Telecom not coming to the party and making my line ADSl capable I
    am
    trying out woosh.
    I live in Auckland well within the 50km radius of
    http://www.woosh.com/UserInterface/Woosh/Static/Roaming/Roaming.aspx
    However I had to get an additional aerial as it wouldn't work without it.
    You can only have one email address - have to pay for extra email
    addresses.
    Don't have home page facility.
    Don't have virus & spam protection
    No news server

    However I do get 256K ADSL speeds.
    I could use the woosh modem mobile (on laptop) as it has rechargeable
    battery like a mobile phone.

    > Due to Telecom not coming to the party and making my line ADSl capable
    > I am trying out woosh.
    > I live in Auckland well within the 50km radius of http://www.woosh.com/
    > UserInterface/Woosh/Static/Roaming/Roaming.aspx
    > However I had to get an additional aerial as it wouldn't work without
    > it.
    > You can only have one email address - have to pay for extra email
    > addresses.
    > Don't have home page facility.

    Both of these can be solved by signing up for Orcon's free web hosting
    and email account. They're free, work well, and you'll still have them
    if you change from Woosh to another ISP. The web hosting offers 10MB of
    space, no ads, and a nice domain name of the form yourname.orcon.net.nz
    instead of the typical homepages.isp.com/~yourname/. The email uses a
    real POP server, although there's also a web interface if you want it.
    <http://orcon.net.nz/products/onlineservices/>

    > Don't have virus & spam protection

    Again, the Orcon email service has virus and spam filtering. I've
    avoided using my Woosh email address for anything, so don't get any spam
    on it.

    > No news server

    Someone else suggested the free news server hosted by <http://news.
    individual.net/>, which I can second.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 24, 2004
  7. Robert

    Geoff Wood Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:57:44 +1300, Robert wrote:
    >
    >> Due to Telecom not coming to the party and making my line ADSl capable I
    >> am
    >> trying out woosh.

    >> However I do get 256K ADSL speeds.

    > Psst, ADSL runs over copper wires of the telephone line

    The local exchange needs to be enabled for ADSL. But who wants to give
    Telecom money, especially with their mingy throttling and high charges.

    I would love to try Woosh, but they don't seem interested in supplying a
    service in my area (15KM from Central Wellington, 2KM from Porirua City, 50m
    from the national Police College). So that puts them in the same 'tosser'
    basket as Saturn (or whatever they call themselves this week) who couldn't
    be bothered making the 'cable' investment here either.

    And it's not as if there's no population base, just not sufficiently
    lucrative....

    geoff

    Geoff Wood, Oct 26, 2004