    What is the 10gig kick in the head? I nver had a kick in the head
    using woosh... and I wouldn't see any advantage to connecting to
    another woosh user..

    Toxickiwi, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Toxickiwi

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:41:09 +0000, Toxickiwi wrote:

    > What is the 10gig kick in the head? I nver had a kick in the head
    > using woosh... and I wouldn't see any advantage to connecting to
    > another woosh user..
    >
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:54:13 -0700, "Peter Skinner"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>If I have Woosh and a Friend has Woosh. Is there some great advantage. Like
    >>could I up load a movie to the another Woosh user and not incure the 10gig
    >>kick in the head...? Will we comunite quicker.. ?

    Good grief, a Woosh customer top posting. I thought they would be a bit
    further ahead than this. ;-)

    Gentle people, Ms Woosh says that there is no cap unless you are obessed
    with trying to get as much thru your modem as possible. In which case they
    will talk to you about it *before* doing anything.

    Gordon, Oct 30, 2004

  3. If I have Woosh and a Friend has Woosh. Is there some great advantage. Like

    Peter Skinner, Oct 30, 2004
  4. Toxickiwi

    Daniel Olsen Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:41:09 +0000, Toxickiwi wrote:
    >
    >> What is the 10gig kick in the head? I nver had a kick in the head
    >> using woosh... and I wouldn't see any advantage to connecting to
    >> another woosh user..
    >>
    >> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:54:13 -0700, "Peter Skinner"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    > Good grief, a Woosh customer top posting. I thought they would be a bit
    > further ahead than this. ;-)
    >
    > Gentle people, Ms Woosh says that there is no cap unless you are obessed
    > with trying to get as much thru your modem as possible. In which case they
    > will talk to you about it *before* doing anything.

    It's coming,

    From Woosh,

    "From the 2nd November, 2004 we will be limiting the speed on all customers'
    accounts that exceed 15GB of use in a 30 day period. The customer's
    connection will be limited to the equivalent of dial-up speed until the end
    of their 30 day period of excessive use. All customers that have had their
    speed limited will be contacted and asked to look at their level of usage or
    continue to have their speed limited. The change in excessive use is going
    to see significant performance improvement for every Woosh customer on the
    network."

    So, that's 54.95 for limit on data volume, somewhat flakily service, no free
    roaming (announced after I brought it), rude accounts people, high ping, no
    news groups...

    ADSL is starting to look very, very attractive.

    Daniel Olsen, Oct 30, 2004
  5. Toxickiwi

    Toxickiwi Guest

    Yes, rather strange unlimited downloads, unless you download to much
    ?! I actually think the service has some potential. I would love it
    if they expanded outside the Wellington CBD, you are allowed to roam
    for 50 Km but the service is only good in the CBD, another thing that
    would be cool is if you stay connected while moving (in the train),
    but judging by my signal strength in the CBD I don't think it will
    work to hot. On the other hand I have seen people using the Vodafone
    mobile data card on the train with no problem, I also see in Australia
    Vodafone has dropped the mobile internet use to $49.95 if that happens
    here I would give up my woosh in a moment.

    http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/business/0,39023166,39162672,00.htm
    Vodafone drops wireless Internet usage fee
    In a bid to lure customers away from fixed line Internet connection,
    Vodafone Australia today slashed its unlimited monthly data usage fee
    from AU$150 to AU$49.95.
    The company said the drop in usage fees made it more affordable for
    customers to browse the Internet wirelessly using their Vodafone
    Mobile Connect (VMC) data-card, giving customers "yet another reason
    to ditch the landline". VMC allows customers wireless connection to
    the Internet from their laptops.
    The reduced usage fee allows customers unlimited access to the
    Internet on Vodafone's GPRS network, as well as sending and receiving
    e-mails on the move. This bundle also allows customers to download as
    much data as they can use within Australia.
    According to Declan O'Callaghan, business marketing manager for data
    at Vodafone, "We now have a better Internet solution than a fixed line
    service because customers are able to access the Web while they are on
    the move. Our wireless Internet access covers 92 percent of the
    Australian population through our GPRS network, and this new pricing
    model means that this freedom and flexibility is affordable to
    business of all sizes."
    Declan added that the slashed bundle is designed so that customers can
    go online "where it suits them, not where their landline Internet
    connection is located."
    The AU$49.95 data bundle, used in conjunction with the Vodafone Mobile
    Connect, includes no lock in contracts and no minimum session or
    flagfall charges, so customers only pay for what they use.
    Existing customers on the AU$150 bundle as well as customers on both
    the pre-existing bundles of AU$49.95 for 15MB per month, or AU$99.95
    for 50 MB per month, will be given the chance to migrate to the new
    Vodafone AU$49.95 bundle to take advantage of the new price.
    Vodafone launched its Australian mobile capped plans last July
    re-emphasising its "no contract" push and designed to "woo customers
    away from inflexible and expensive mobile plans and provide them with
    an even greater excuse to get rid of their landline or mobile
    contract."

    Toxickiwi, Nov 1, 2004
  6. Toxickiwi wrote:
    > another thing that
    > would be cool is if you stay connected while moving (in the train),

    they wont allow tower hand over... it is reportedly a limitation imposed
    by Vodafone, I'd imagine to protect their own data network.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 1, 2004
  7. Toxickiwi

    Toxickiwi Guest

    Just checked my woosh email and it was there... hmm I liked the end of
    the email.. "We are zealous about protecting the performance
    experience of our customers and are happy to work with you to match
    the best plan to your specific needs"

    I am in the middle of the CBD (next to a window) and I needed booster
    aerial to get an okay signal... only another $60 ;)

    TK

    Toxickiwi, Nov 1, 2004
  8. Toxickiwi

    EMB Guest

    Toxickiwi wrote:
    I also see in Australia
    > Vodafone has dropped the mobile internet use to $49.95 if that happens
    > here I would give up my woosh in a moment.

    If that happens I'll get a GSM cellphone. No show of it happening here
    though - with no real competition in that market there's no need for VF
    to compete.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 1, 2004