    charging this?

    If they are charging for this, they've just devalued their main point of
    difference with fixed broadband, ie mobility.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 13, 2006

  2. On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:16:03 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > That is just absurd - can anyone here confirm that they are actually
    > charging this?

    I can confirm that, that's always been the way. You can be anywhere within
    your home city, but if you decide to go to say Auckland for the weekend,
    then you pay roaming charges. I don't know why.

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Apr 13, 2006

  3. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of -
    =rjh=- exclaimed:
    > If they are charging for this, they've just devalued their main point of
    > difference with fixed broadband, ie mobility.

    The main point of wireless for internet was that it didn't need wires
    and hence a multi-billion dollar investment in infrastructure. i.e you
    can compete with Telecom and the like, without needing a government
    sponsored historical project to wire the country.

    being mobile is a nice to have, but not really the main point...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Apr 16, 2006
  4. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of -
    > =rjh=- exclaimed:
    >> If they are charging for this, they've just devalued their main point of
    >> difference with fixed broadband, ie mobility.

    > The main point of wireless for internet was that it didn't need wires
    > and hence a multi-billion dollar investment in infrastructure. i.e you
    > can compete with Telecom and the like, without needing a government
    > sponsored historical project to wire the country.
    >
    > being mobile is a nice to have, but not really the main point...

    True, but that is looking at it from the point of view of the ISP.

    As a customer, what is in it for me? Why should I care about
    infrastructure costs - I just want to see the benefits that apply to me.

    In this case, Woosh talk up the benefits of being mobile, but charge
    extra for this. I can't see it costs them even a cent more, so why
    charge the customer extra? Obviously, because they can.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 16, 2006
  5. In <> Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:16:03 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> That is just absurd - can anyone here confirm that they are actually
    >> charging this?

    > I can confirm that, that's always been the way. You can be anywhere
    > within your home city, but if you decide to go to say Auckland for the
    > weekend, then you pay roaming charges. I don't know why.

    Woosh uses Vodaphone's network and cellphone towers.
    Vodaphone sells their own mobile data service.
    Woosh charges a lot less per byte than Vodaphone does.
    (You can see where this is going can't you?)
    Vodaphone wants more money if Woosh is going to sell a mobile service.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Apr 19, 2006