    I just hope they expand over auckland quickly where telecom's main customer
    base concentration is, then DSL will hopefully get cheaper!

    ---
    Carl Elphick, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Carl Elphick wrote:
    > Approx $60 incl GST for 250kpbs flatrate, I sure would not complain
    > about that!
    > I just hope they expand over auckland quickly where telecom's main
    > customer base concentration is, then DSL will hopefully get cheaper!

    Do they have any plans to come to Dunedin? :)

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Carl Elphick wrote:
    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> Carl Elphick wrote:
    >>> Approx $60 incl GST for 250kpbs flatrate, I sure would not complain
    >>> about that!
    >>> I just hope they expand over auckland quickly where telecom's main
    >>> customer base concentration is, then DSL will hopefully get cheaper!

    >> Do they have any plans to come to Dunedin? :)

    > If Otago decided on woosh/vodafone under Probe, then yup soon I
    > belive! Even wired country in south auckland/counties I hear are
    > offering some pretty good high speed plans...
    >
    > Now I am wondering if TelstraClear, Telecom and ihug will drop their
    > prices for high speed....

    It's a heck of a lot cheaper to provide high-speed internet via wireless
    since the technology is cheap, and not as much infrastructure needs to be
    assembled (Cables take lots of effort to wire, and people complain about the
    appearance of them).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 15, 2003
  4. "Carl Elphick" <> wrote in message
    > Approx $60 incl GST for 250kpbs flatrate, I sure would not complain about
    > that!
    > I just hope they expand over auckland quickly where telecom's main

    customer
    > base concentration is, then DSL will hopefully get cheaper!

    Another bonus with Woosh is that you don't require a fixed home phone line
    I for one have a home phone line for no other reason than to get DSL, thats
    an additional ~$30 a month
    Nathan Mercer, Sep 15, 2003
  5. Carl Elphick

    Big Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:34:48 +1200, "Carl Elphick" <> wrote:

    >Approx $60 incl GST for 250kpbs flatrate, I sure would not complain about
    >that!
    >I just hope they expand over auckland quickly where telecom's main customer
    >base concentration is, then DSL will hopefully get cheaper!

    As they say seeing is believing, it will not last..

    Big , Sep 15, 2003
  6. Carl Elphick

    Big Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:17:23 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    <> wrote:

    >Carl Elphick wrote:
    >> "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Do they have any plans to come to Dunedin? :)

    >> If Otago decided on woosh/vodafone under Probe, then yup soon I
    >> belive! Even wired country in south auckland/counties I hear are
    >> offering some pretty good high speed plans...
    >>
    >> Now I am wondering if TelstraClear, Telecom and ihug will drop their
    >> prices for high speed....

    >It's a heck of a lot cheaper to provide high-speed internet via wireless
    >since the technology is cheap, and not as much infrastructure needs to be
    >assembled (Cables take lots of effort to wire, and people complain about the
    >appearance of them).
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    Gee my Cable is invisible.,.
    Big , Sep 15, 2003
  7. > Another bonus with Woosh is that you don't require a fixed home phone line
    > I for one have a home phone line for no other reason than to get DSL, thats
    > an additional ~$30 a month

    Hrrrm, might mention this to telecom and see what there reaction is... they seem
    to love mentioning that you can talk on the phone and use ADSL at the same time.

    I would be happier if they let you drop to a few$/month wire only plan instead
    of getting a dialtone service that I have no desire for. Thats most likly
    getting too close to unbundling for them though...
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Sep 15, 2003
  8. Big wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:17:23 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Carl Elphick wrote:
    >>> "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    >>> If Otago decided on woosh/vodafone under Probe, then yup soon I
    >>> belive! Even wired country in south auckland/counties I hear are
    >>> offering some pretty good high speed plans...
    >>>
    >>> Now I am wondering if TelstraClear, Telecom and ihug will drop their
    >>> prices for high speed....

    >> It's a heck of a lot cheaper to provide high-speed internet via
    >> wireless since the technology is cheap, and not as much
    >> infrastructure needs to be assembled (Cables take lots of effort to
    >> wire, and people complain about the appearance of them).
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Nicholas Sherlock
    >>

    > Gee my Cable is invisible.,.

    In Christchurch they have kicked up a big stink about the "Ugly fat black
    broadband" cables.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 15, 2003
  9. On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:28:11 +1200, Big wrote:

    >>It's a heck of a lot cheaper to provide high-speed internet via wireless
    >>since the technology is cheap, and not as much infrastructure needs to be
    >>assembled (Cables take lots of effort to wire, and people complain about the
    >>appearance of them).

    >Gee my Cable is invisible.,.

    So is your brain.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Sep 15, 2003
  10. Carl Elphick

    Who is this Guest

    In article <bk3p91$fha$>,
    Richard Malcolm-Smith <> wrote:

    > I would be happier if they let you drop to a few$/month wire only plan
    > instead
    > of getting a dialtone service that I have no desire for. Thats most likly
    > getting too close to unbundling for them though...

    Voice over IP...that is what they are afraid of, who needs a voice line
    when you can do it via IP....
    Who is this, Sep 15, 2003
  11. Carl Elphick

    Col^ Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:51:36 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock" <>
    wrote:

    >Big wrote:
    >> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:17:23 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> It's a heck of a lot cheaper to provide high-speed internet via
    >>> wireless since the technology is cheap, and not as much
    >>> infrastructure needs to be assembled (Cables take lots of effort to
    >>> wire, and people complain about the appearance of them).
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Nicholas Sherlock
    >>>

    >> Gee my Cable is invisible.,.

    >In Christchurch they have kicked up a big stink about the "Ugly fat black
    >broadband" cables.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    Who is the "They" you talk about . Can't remember hearing any big stink and I
    live there .
    --

    Col

    Col's law.
    Thinly sliced cabbage..
    Col^, Sep 15, 2003
  12. Who is this wrote:

    > Voice over IP...that is what they are afraid of, who needs a voice line
    > when you can do it via IP....

    I dont care for a voiceline when I have a mobile phone.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Sep 15, 2003
  13. Carl Elphick

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <Ybc9b.1388$>,
    "Carl Elphick" <> wrote:

    > Approx $60 incl GST for 250kpbs flatrate, I sure would not complain about
    > that!
    > I just hope they expand over auckland quickly where telecom's main customer
    > base concentration is, then DSL will hopefully get cheaper!

    Is everyone in this NG actually reading the small print?

    "Connection Fee: Normally $44.40 but for a limited time it's FREE"

    So for 250Kbps, its $44.40 + $57.73 = $102.13

    I would complain about that...

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Sep 15, 2003
  14. Carl Elphick

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <bk3j62$81v$>,
    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote:

    > Carl Elphick wrote:
    > > Approx $60 incl GST for 250kpbs flatrate, I sure would not complain
    > > about that!
    > > I just hope they expand over auckland quickly where telecom's main
    > > customer base concentration is, then DSL will hopefully get cheaper!

    > Do they have any plans to come to Dunedin? :)

    There is a wireless project underway here in Dunedin, I'm sure you're
    aware of it: http://www.scarfies.net/

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Sep 15, 2003
  15. Carl Elphick

    Stuart Guest

    "madknoxie" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Ybc9b.1388$>,
    > "Carl Elphick" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Approx $60 incl GST for 250kpbs flatrate, I sure would not complain

    about
    > > that!
    > > I just hope they expand over auckland quickly where telecom's main

    customer
    > > base concentration is, then DSL will hopefully get cheaper!

    > Is everyone in this NG actually reading the small print?
    >
    > "Connection Fee: Normally $44.40 but for a limited time it's FREE"
    >
    > So for 250Kbps, its $44.40 + $57.73 = $102.13
    >
    > I would complain about that...

    So would I, but it's a once-off payment. It's under "Start Up Costs", not
    the monthly charge.
    http://www.woosh.com/UserInterface/Woosh/Commerce/Offer/ForHome/ForHome.aspx

    Stuart
    Stuart, Sep 15, 2003
  16. Carl Elphick

    Big Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:51:50 +1200, "Kristofer Clayton" <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:28:11 +1200, Big wrote:
    >
    >>>It's a heck of a lot cheaper to provide high-speed internet via wireless
    >>>since the technology is cheap, and not as much infrastructure needs to be
    >>>assembled (Cables take lots of effort to wire, and people complain about the
    >>>appearance of them).

    >>Gee my Cable is invisible.,.

    >So is your brain.

    No my Brain is very pronounced, may be that is your problem, pee Brain..??
    Big , Sep 15, 2003
  17. Carl Elphick

    Who is this Guest

    In article <bk3ull$k2d$>,
    Richard Malcolm-Smith <> wrote:

    > Who is this wrote:
    >
    > > Voice over IP...that is what they are afraid of, who needs a voice line
    > > when you can do it via IP....

    > I dont care for a voiceline when I have a mobile phone.

    I do, as I chat with friends overseas..no international tolls !
    Who is this, Sep 15, 2003
  18. Carl Elphick

    Who is this Guest

    In article <>,
    madknoxie <> wrote:

    > In article <Ybc9b.1388$>,
    > "Carl Elphick" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Approx $60 incl GST for 250kpbs flatrate, I sure would not complain about
    > > that!
    > > I just hope they expand over auckland quickly where telecom's main customer
    > > base concentration is, then DSL will hopefully get cheaper!

    > Is everyone in this NG actually reading the small print?
    >
    > "Connection Fee: Normally $44.40 but for a limited time it's FREE"

    Well jetstart has a $90 connection fee...

    > So for 250Kbps, its $44.40 + $57.73 = $102.13

    Huh ? do you think that you have to pay the connection fee every month ?

    > I would complain about that...

    I would think before you complain....
    Who is this, Sep 15, 2003
  19. Carl Elphick

    max Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:37:38 +1200, "PJ" <>
    wrote:

    >"madknoxie" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Is everyone in this NG actually reading the small print?
    >>
    >> "Connection Fee: Normally $44.40 but for a limited time it's FREE"
    >>
    >> So for 250Kbps, its $44.40 + $57.73 = $102.13
    >>
    >> I would complain about that...

    >Telecom charges at least $99 for ADSL connection, so $44.4 doesn't seems all
    >that much.

    No it isn't much at all. The modem is the point of difference, eg $100
    for an ADSL one, vs $400 for a whoosh one
    max, Sep 15, 2003
  20. Carl Elphick

    T.N.O. Guest

    "max" wrote
    > No it isn't much at all. The modem is the point of difference, eg $100
    > for an ADSL one, vs $400 for a whoosh one

    Look at the age of the product, and look at original DSL hardware... it is
    relatively cheap in comparison... besides, it's only $400.
    T.N.O., Sep 15, 2003