Woosh Modems Questions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peter, Apr 14, 2005.

  1. peter

    peter Guest

    Hi

    Just some questions about the woosh modems.....

    Well for starters why do I have to buy my modem off them.. Cant someone
    else make them..?

    Also Why are there no cell phones that can pick up the woosh signal.. that
    would make them great for VoIP... ?

    Is there another more open method of doing what woosh does......?

    I really like the priciple of woosh always on Internet ..but Is there
    another way....

    Cheers Peter....

    peter, Apr 14, 2005

  2. peter wrote:
    > Well for starters why do I have to buy my modem off them.. Cant someone
    > else make them..?

    yes, but it means that they lose the ability to control the modems from
    their end(potentially), much like when DSL first came out and only the
    Nokia M10 and M11 models provided by Telecom were availible, even though
    others would work, they wouldn't let people use them.

    > Also Why are there no cell phones that can pick up the woosh signal.. that
    > would make them great for VoIP... ?

    no idea... but I'd imagine that Vodafone may not like that sort of thing
    occuring from what essencially amounts to one of their re-sellers. I
    know for instance that Woosh don't support tower handover, so it wont
    work when you leave coverage from one tower to another.

    > Is there another more open method of doing what woosh does......?

    WIFI?

    > I really like the priciple of woosh always on Internet ..but Is there
    > another way....

    not without spending a fair bit of cash on infrastructure.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 14, 2005

  3. peter

    peter Guest

    Forgive me if IM wrong but it looks like great Technology is being retarded
    and controled for Profit rather then serive. Is this true ?

    peter, Apr 14, 2005
  4. peter wrote:
    >>>Well for starters why do I have to buy my modem off them.. Cant someone
    >>>else make them..?

    >>yes, but it means that they lose the ability to control the modems from
    >>their end(potentially), much like when DSL first came out and only the
    >>Nokia M10 and M11 models provided by Telecom were availible, even though
    >>others would work, they wouldn't let people use them.
    >>

    >>>Also Why are there no cell phones that can pick up the woosh signal..
    >>>that would make them great for VoIP... ?

    >>no idea... but I'd imagine that Vodafone may not like that sort of thing
    >>occuring from what essencially amounts to one of their re-sellers. I know
    >>for instance that Woosh don't support tower handover, so it wont work when
    >>you leave coverage from one tower to another.
    >>

    >>>Is there another more open method of doing what woosh does......?

    >>WIFI?
    >>

    >>>I really like the priciple of woosh always on Internet ..but Is there
    >>>another way....

    >>not without spending a fair bit of cash on infrastructure.

    > Forgive me if IM wrong but it looks like great Technology is being

    retarded
    > and controled for Profit rather then serive. Is this true ?

    ummm, well when it is emerging tech it is probably easier to limit the
    variables, so they may well "unlock" it when they think they get it right.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 14, 2005
  5. peter

    peter Guest

    >>>yes, but it means that they lose the ability to control the modems from
    >>>their end(potentially), much like when DSL first came out and only the
    >>>Nokia M10 and M11 models provided by Telecom were availible, even though
    >>>others would work, they wouldn't let people use them.

    >>>no idea... but I'd imagine that Vodafone may not like that sort of thing
    >>>occuring from what essencially amounts to one of their re-sellers. I know
    >>>for instance that Woosh don't support tower handover, so it wont work
    >>>when you leave coverage from one tower to another.

    >>>WIFI?

    >>>not without spending a fair bit of cash on infrastructure.

    > > Forgive me if IM wrong but it looks like great Technology is being

    > retarded
    > > and controled for Profit rather then serive. Is this true ?

    > ummm, well when it is emerging tech it is probably easier to limit the
    > variables, so they may well "unlock" it when they think they get it right.

    Perhaps.. But IP addresses are IP address..... Data is Data.. and in wooshes
    case I must agree with you... latency is latency..

    Just imagine an always on Cellphone......And thats what woosh is .. isnt
    it.. that thing on the end of my desk does look like a cellphone.. Why can I
    take it with me. Voip Skype... But sadly no... $$$$$$$$$$$$$....

    peter, Apr 14, 2005
  6. peter

    Richard Guest

    peter wrote:
    > Forgive me if IM wrong but it looks like great Technology is being retarded
    > and controled for Profit rather then serive. Is this true ?

    welcome to reality

    Richard, Apr 14, 2005
  7. peter

    notme Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:15:58 +1200, "peter" <> wrote:
    >Just some questions about the woosh modems.....
    >Is there another more open method of doing what woosh does......?
    >I really like the priciple of woosh always on Internet ..but Is there
    >another way....

    If you live in the Waikato/Auckland area check out Wired Country's
    wireless service. It's reailers are cheaper than Woosh and the $99 set
    up price is the same as the Woosh do-it-yourself modem regime, but the
    Wired Country price includes a technician coming to your home with all
    his test gear and spending however long it takes to install an
    external parabloic-type antenna on your roof for a more reliable
    signal. Woosh don't offer an external antenna, only an internal one
    you hang up at the window, for an extra $60.

    Finally, Woosh charges $69.95 for 10Gb at 256k, Wired Country's
    retailers charge $45 for the same plan. Woosh's only advantage over
    Wired Country is its modem's portability - so long as you stay within
    sight of their transmitter you could take it with your laptop.

    notme, Apr 14, 2005