Woosh Modem - 'Real modem' ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan Alan, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. Alan Alan

    Alan Alan Guest

    Hi all,

    I am considering signing up with Woosh.

    According to their site I can receive service at home if I use their modem
    with a booster antenna.

    Two questions:

    1) Is the modem a 'real' modem which would work with Linux as well as
    windows (Debian perhaps?)

    2) How portable is that modem / antenna combination?

    I am likely to be moving home in the next few months, so Woosh seems
    attractive for not being 'fixed', but does the antenna eliminate that
    advantage?

    Thanks,

    Alan.
    Alan Alan, Apr 8, 2005

  2. In <1112988209.523914@ftpsrv1> Alan Alan wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am considering signing up with Woosh.
    >
    > According to their site I can receive service at home if I use their
    > modem with a booster antenna.
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1) Is the modem a 'real' modem which would work with Linux as well as
    > windows (Debian perhaps?)

    (Caveat: I got my Woosh modem over a year ago. The current ones being
    sold at least look different.)

    The modem comes with a USB cable, but as far as I know the only USB
    drivers available for it are for Windows.

    However there is also an ethernet interface. It doesn't use a standard
    ethernet connector though, so you have to buy their expensive cable ($34
    from DSE). Using the ethernet interface the modem connects via standard
    PPPoE. This is the method I used when I had my Woosh modem connected
    directly to my Mac. It's now connected to my home network via a DSE
    broadband router which can be set up to connect via PPPoE.

    WARNING: when you buy the modem you have to register it up with your
    account info using Windows and the USB interface. A brain-dead way of
    designing it, but you only need to ever do it once.

    > 2) How portable is that modem / antenna combination?
    >

    > I am likely to be moving home in the next few months, so Woosh seems
    > attractive for not being 'fixed', but does the antenna eliminate that
    > advantage?

    The external antenna I bought is fairly small and came with suctions
    cups to stick it on a window. It's only designed for indoor use, but I
    mounted mine outside above the roof under a plastic cover to get a full-
    strength signal since I'm outside the official Woosh coverage area.

    Have a look at the Dick Smith site http://www.dse.co.nz for pictures of
    the current hardware.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Apr 9, 2005

  3. Alan Alan

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 07:25:38 +1200, Alan Alan wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am considering signing up with Woosh.

    Good on you, give Telcom some competition, good for all.

    > According to their site I can receive service at home if I use their modem
    > with a booster antenna.
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1) Is the modem a 'real' modem which would work with Linux as well as
    > windows (Debian perhaps?)

    The way I have this is to put the modem into a router via the $34 "Mac"
    cable. Ethernet comes out. Ethernet is such old technonolgy that it works
    so well. ;-)

    The booster anntena is not large, about 400mm long and 80 wide. It is
    light. Add another $55 to the setup cost.

    http://www.wiggly.net.nz/woosh/Connection.html has some more thoughts/info
    on getting a Woosh connection with Ms Penguin.

    > 2) How portable is that modem / antenna combination?

    Very for the average human.

    > I am likely to be moving home in the next few months, so Woosh seems
    > attractive for not being 'fixed', but does the antenna eliminate that
    > advantage?

    Not for shifting houses.
    Gordon, Apr 9, 2005
  4. Alan Alan

    Matty Guest

    On 2005-04-09 07:25:38 +1200, "Alan Alan" <> said:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am considering signing up with Woosh.
    >
    > According to their site I can receive service at home if I use their modem
    > with a booster antenna.
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1) Is the modem a 'real' modem which would work with Linux as well as
    > windows (Debian perhaps?)
    >
    > 2) How portable is that modem / antenna combination?
    >

    > I am likely to be moving home in the next few months, so Woosh seems
    > attractive for not being 'fixed', but does the antenna eliminate that
    > advantage?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    From what I understand, the modem is a router and everything is done in
    the actual machine - thus, one just hooks up the ethernet cable to it -
    best bet is to talk with the company providing you with the service.

    Matt
    Matty, Apr 9, 2005