    a micro-outage, disconnect-reconnect, a few hundred milliseconds
    and usually a change of IP nr, sometimes even a
    change of upstream router nr.

    J.Random Luser, Jun 14, 2004

  2. On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:40:04 +1200, J.Random Luser wrote:
    > Following the query abt xtra's "dynamic" IP nrs,
    > can any Woosh users confirm that they too have a
    > 60 minute rollover?

    As an ordinary user of Woosh in Auckland,
    I haven't noticed my IP address change while connected.

    Obviously a different IP (in the range 202.74.200+-4.xxx IIRC)
    each time I connect, or after the modem reconnects after
    a disconnection due to loss of signal, but no changes on
    a regular basis that I have noticed.

    That is with the Modem plugged into this computer via USB.
    It may or may not be different connected via the router.

    Martin.

    --
    Martin Bonham, Auckland, (Aotearoa) New Zealand.

    Home of Middle Earth, Whale Rider and now also Narnia.

    Martin Bonham, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Martin Bonham <> observed:

    > Obviously a different IP (in the range 202.74.200+-4.xxx IIRC)
    > each time I connect, or after the modem reconnects after
    > a disconnection due to loss of signal, but no changes on
    > a regular basis that I have noticed.

    So do you get poor signal dropouts?
    I'm confident that is not what's happening here.

    > That is with the Modem plugged into this computer via USB.
    > It may or may not be different connected via the router.

    & what kind of router can you make it work with?
    It obviously won't go thru a cheap hub (I've got the
    Macintosh version USB2<->Ethernet connxn) so I had
    to add another NIC to share it around the house...

    J.Random Luser, Jun 16, 2004
  4. Upthread J.Random Luser asked
    >can any Woosh users confirm that they too have a
    >60 minute rollover?

    [BTW see the end of this post for a new answer to your original
    question from the Dick Smith Website]

    I replied:
    > a different IP each time I connect, or after the modem reconnects after
    > a disconnection due to loss of signal, but no changes on a regular basis
    > that I have noticed.

    > So do you get poor signal dropouts?

    From time to time. I suppose that I usually notice it happening once
    or twice every couple of days on average (The status monitor window pops
    up on the screen, and it is detailed in its log). Not to say it doesn't
    happen more often when I don't notice. Earlier today was terrible - rather
    than just happening once or twice in a short period and then being ok
    again, the signal kept dropping out. Strangely I solved it by
    unplugging the Booster antenna, and actually found I got a better signal,
    and it has been fine since with just the modem's ordinary fold up antenna.
    (The booster antenna only has a push in connection, held with a plastic
    clip).

    > & what kind of router can you make it work with?
    > It obviously won't go thru a cheap hub (I've got the
    > Macintosh version USB2<->Ethernet connxn) so I had
    > to add another NIC to share it around the house...

    The router/switch I have is a just a cheap Dick Smith one (XH1151), and
    when I plugged the modem into that for a short period in the past to try
    it, it worked. (Obviously using the Woosh ethernet cable rather than
    the USB one). For no particularly good reason at present I am using the
    USB cable. (I tested it with another computer connected to the router, and
    haven't got around to reinstalling the software on this one yet).

    Dick Smith actually advertise that router as compatible with the Woosh
    Modem. http://www.dse.co.nz/isroot/dse/support/xh1151_firmware_170204.zip
    (There is a link at the top of the page back to the router itself).

    Interestingly on visiting the DSE site for that router, it seems that it
    has been updated, not only with a firmware upgrade, but also with the
    source code for the web server part of the router's firmware (as per the
    software's GNU license), and ALSO supplemental instructions for using the
    router with a Woosh Modem.

    That would also seem to answer your original question -
    To quote the above site
    "WOOSH WIRELESS USERS Currently, Woosh Wireless Internet hardware
    disconnects from the Woosh service every 24 hours (or there about's)."

    Martin.

    ps: In further answer to your question, the user guide for the Woosh
    Modem, also lists these routers as compatible.
    "Appendix F -- PPPoE Routers Tested
    The Woosh Modem has been tested on and found to be compatible with the
    following PPPoE hardware routers.
    Supplier Model
    Linksys BEFW11S4, BEFSR41, BEN2PS4
    Netgear RT311, RT314
    Sonicwall SOHO2
    Cisco 800 series
    Cisco 2621
    SMC 7004ABR
    Asante FR3004"

    Martin Bonham, Jun 16, 2004
  5. In article
    <>,
    Martin Bonham <> wrote:

    > ps: In further answer to your question, the user guide for the Woosh
    > Modem, also lists these routers as compatible.

    thanks for that detailed answer, I guess I should touch Woosh up for the
    manuals - since I said I had Mac, & needed the ethernet connector, they
    took the software CD out of the box :-(

    J.Random Luser, Jun 16, 2004