    they don't actually cover anywhere - whatever address I put in for
    Auckland or Christchurch came back "no service"
    Geoff

    geoffm, Feb 3, 2005

  2. In <> geoffm wrote:

    > How many Woosh users are in Chch? I will be moving there in a couple
    > of weeks, for most of the year. For various reasons (liek the phone
    > isn't in my name and is shared with others) ADSL is not an option, so
    > a standalone wireless thingie like Woosh appeals, even tho it costs
    > more. Anyone using it near the University? According to their website,
    > they don't actually cover anywhere - whatever address I put in for
    > Auckland or Christchurch came back "no service"

    It's a pain how there's no coverage map on Woosh's site, but I seem to
    recall that only the central business district is covered in
    Christchurch. As an experiment, I typed in '1 Riccarton Road' and it
    told me that service is available but, when I tried '10 Riccarton Road',
    it said that service was not available. This suggests that the cuttoff
    point is somewhere around the Riccarton Road/Deans Ave roundabout (
    Nancy's Corner), which means that you won't be able to use the service
    anywhere near the university until they expand the network.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    Any views expressed in this posting are personal and its content remains
    the property of Alastair. Alastair accepts no responsibility for any
    misinformation resulting from this posting.

    Alastair McAllister, Feb 3, 2005

  3. geoffm

    YANewsreader Guest

    In article <>,
    Alastair McAllister <> wrote:

    > ore. Anyone using it near the University? According to their website,
    > > they don't actually cover anywhere - whatever address I put in for
    > > Auckland or Christchurch came back "no service"

    > It's a pain how there's no coverage map on Woosh's site, but I seem to
    > recall that only the central business district is covered in
    > Christchurch. As an experiment, I typed in '1 Riccarton Road' and it
    > told me that service is available but, when I tried '10 Riccarton Road',
    > it said that service was not available. This suggests that the cuttoff
    > point is somewhere around the Riccarton Road/Deans Ave roundabout (
    > Nancy's Corner), which means that you won't be able to use the service
    > anywhere near the university until they expand the network.

    Their site is a bit ga-ga. 5 Riccarton Rd, OK with booster, 10; no, 6;
    yes, 8 returned 8 Papanui Rd.....????

    I'd say assume it's within the 4 Aves, a little beyond with the booster
    and quite a lot beyond if you want to experiment with exotic antennae.
    Like I've heard of Apple airports being used at a mile beyond their
    normal 50 yard radius with the right extras, so anything is possible.

    --
    YAnewsreader
    <I do solemnly promise to trim all quotations appropriately before

    YANewsreader, Feb 3, 2005
  4. geoffm

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:28:03 -0600, geoffm wrote:

    > How many Woosh users are in Chch? I will be moving there in a couple
    > of weeks, for most of the year. For various reasons (liek the phone
    > isn't in my name and is shared with others) ADSL is not an option, so
    > a standalone wireless thingie like Woosh appeals, even tho it costs
    > more. Anyone using it near the University? According to their website,
    > they don't actually cover anywhere - whatever address I put in for
    > Auckland or Christchurch came back "no service"

    http://www.wiggly.net.nz/woosh/Woosh01.jpg
    http://www.wiggly.net.nz/woosh/Woosh02.jpg

    Gives the approx area of occupation as at 5 August 2004. The day Woosh
    blew into Christchurch.

    I do agree that a rough map would be good, then you could feed in your
    address for conformation, as another poster had said.

    Gordon, Feb 4, 2005
  5. geoffm

    geoffm Guest

    On 3 Feb 2005 20:36:23 +1300, Alastair McAllister <>
    wrote:

    >In <> geoffm wrote:
    >
    >> How many Woosh users are in Chch? I will be moving there in a couple
    >> of weeks, for most of the year. For various reasons (liek the phone
    >> isn't in my name and is shared with others) ADSL is not an option, so
    >> a standalone wireless thingie like Woosh appeals, even tho it costs
    >> more. Anyone using it near the University? According to their website,
    >> they don't actually cover anywhere - whatever address I put in for
    >> Auckland or Christchurch came back "no service"

    >It's a pain how there's no coverage map on Woosh's site, but I seem to
    >recall that only the central business district is covered in
    >Christchurch. As an experiment, I typed in '1 Riccarton Road' and it
    >told me that service is available but, when I tried '10 Riccarton Road',
    >it said that service was not available. This suggests that the cuttoff
    >point is somewhere around the Riccarton Road/Deans Ave roundabout (
    >Nancy's Corner), which means that you won't be able to use the service
    >anywhere near the university until they expand the network.

    Hmm, what I thought - I will be in the 300-400 Riccarton Road range,
    so probably no good. Would have thought they would have aggressively
    extended the range, esp given the number of students (NZ and overseas)
    around - many of whom are in the same situation as me.
    Geoff

    geoffm, Feb 5, 2005