    Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A. 1, he gives the lightbulb to 3 engineers, thus reducing the problem to a
    previously solved joke.

    Shane, Aug 28, 2007

  2. Shane

    peterwn Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > This article needs pictures!
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070828/tc_pcworld/136483
    > An angry legal battle has broken out after an IBM server worth US$1.5
    > million was wrecked falling off a fork-lift truck being used to move it.
    >
    > T.R. Systems, a U.S. federal contractor, is suing IBM saying the Big Blue
    > failed to package the server properly. IBM says it did.

    It is most probably a spat between insurance companies. It would seem
    doubtful that industry practice requires such equipment to be packaged
    to withstand falling off a fork-lift, hence T.R.'s insurer's claim would
    seem doomed to failure.

    Probably what is more important in practice is how quickly IBM can
    supply a replacement.

    peterwn, Aug 29, 2007

  3. Shane

    thingy Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >> This article needs pictures!
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070828/tc_pcworld/136483
    >> An angry legal battle has broken out after an IBM server worth US$1.5
    >> million was wrecked falling off a fork-lift truck being used to move it.
    >>
    >> T.R. Systems, a U.S. federal contractor, is suing IBM saying the Big Blue
    >> failed to package the server properly. IBM says it did.
    >>

    > It is most probably a spat between insurance companies. It would seem
    > doubtful that industry practice requires such equipment to be packaged
    > to withstand falling off a fork-lift, hence T.R.'s insurer's claim would
    > seem doomed to failure.
    >
    > Probably what is more important in practice is how quickly IBM can
    > supply a replacement.

    or more likely TR's insurance company decided TR did not take adequate
    care so declined to cover them....

    I cannot see TR winning this one...but America is a funny place for
    sueing people....

    Packaging any server to survive a drop from 1 to 2 metres, probably onto
    unforgiving concrete against its own weight would be very
    difficult....even if you could pack it in enough foam, the server's
    internals would have to be made strong enough to absorb the sudden stop
    when its case hit the deck....I cannot see how it is practical to do
    so.....I cant blame IBM for not turning up...if they repaired it, they
    would probably be expected to be liable for its repair over the 5 year
    life....quite possibly also downtime....these things are expected to be
    reliable after all, if it was not due to hidden damage IBM could lose a
    fortune....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 29, 2007
  4. Shane

    Enkidu Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > This article needs pictures!
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070828/tc_pcworld/136483
    > An angry legal battle has broken out after an IBM server worth US$1.5
    > million was wrecked falling off a fork-lift truck being used to move it.
    >
    > T.R. Systems, a U.S. federal contractor, is suing IBM saying the Big Blue
    > failed to package the server properly. IBM says it did.
    >
    > The accident happened in October, 2006. The server destined for the U.S.
    > Patent and Trademark Office, was being transferred from a delivery truck to
    > T.R. Systems' warehouse in Alexandria, Virginia, near Washington, D.C. It
    > was packaged in a crate on a pallet and held on a fork-lift truck's prongs.

    It wouldn't be the first time.

    http://infohost.nmt.edu/~shipman/write/torture.html

    I once watched a set of cabinets containing the sections of a mainframe
    being rolled out of a computer centre that was being refurbished. As
    they went out of the door they had to do a right turn and dipped
    alarmingly. After all had been moved we took up the floor and discovered
    that one of the tiles was only held up by three posts, the other one
    having moved away. Just one more box over the tile and it might have
    collapsed and allowed the box to fall over.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 29, 2007
  5. Shane

    Stu Fleming Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > I cannot see TR winning this one...but America is a funny place for
    > sueing people....

    Depends. Was the server switched on at the time?

    Stu Fleming, Aug 29, 2007
  6. Shane

    EMB Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > This article needs pictures!
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070828/tc_pcworld/136483
    > An angry legal battle has broken out after an IBM server worth US$1.5
    > million was wrecked falling off a fork-lift truck being used to move it.

    About par for the course. A company I was working for had a $1M+ server
    being airfreighted urgently to NZ a couple of years ago. Due to an
    engineering problem with the plane it was on it was unloaded and left
    sitting on the tarmac at Singapore airport before being loaded onto
    another plane. Unfortunately whilst it was left in the open air a nice
    wee tropical downpour occurred - net outcome was one fucked server and a
    *very* large insurance claim for consequential losses.

    Oh... anyone here work for the ISP who dropped a DSLAM down a flight of
    stairs a few weeks ago?

    EMB, Aug 29, 2007
  7. Shane

    Jerry Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >> This article needs pictures!
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070828/tc_pcworld/136483
    >> An angry legal battle has broken out after an IBM server worth US$1.5
    >> million was wrecked falling off a fork-lift truck being used to move it.
    >>
    >> T.R. Systems, a U.S. federal contractor, is suing IBM saying the Big Blue
    >> failed to package the server properly. IBM says it did.
    >>
    >> The accident happened in October, 2006. The server destined for the U.S.
    >> Patent and Trademark Office, was being transferred from a delivery
    >> truck to
    >> T.R. Systems' warehouse in Alexandria, Virginia, near Washington, D.C. It
    >> was packaged in a crate on a pallet and held on a fork-lift truck's
    >> prongs.
    >>

    > It wouldn't be the first time.
    >
    > http://infohost.nmt.edu/~shipman/write/torture.html
    >
    > I once watched a set of cabinets containing the sections of a mainframe
    > being rolled out of a computer centre that was being refurbished. As
    > they went out of the door they had to do a right turn and dipped
    > alarmingly. After all had been moved we took up the floor and discovered
    > that one of the tiles was only held up by three posts, the other one
    > having moved away. Just one more box over the tile and it might have
    > collapsed and allowed the box to fall over.

    I've seen several collapses, and none did much damage really. In San
    Francisco there was a site trying to get a 360/30 (the computer with an
    air pump in it and an LP(low pressure) indicator on the front) in a 3rd
    floor wiondo with a crane, and it fell to the sidewalk. That really
    exploded into an amazing number of pieces.

    Jerry, Aug 29, 2007