    Mark Edwards, DONE (for now)
    --
    Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

    Mark Edwards, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Good job, and congratulations.

    Mostly Gizzards, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Nice work.

    Death from Above
    MCPD: EAD, Web, Win
    MCITP: DBD, DBA
    MCSD.NET
    MCDBA

    Death from Above, Feb 6, 2008
  4. Mark Edwards

    Eric de Jong Guest

    Mark,

    Congratulations! I just finished the MCSD on 12/23. Start to finish, this
    took me nearly two years. I too used Techskills and found the 70-300 exam
    to be the worst of the bunch - very boring, dull and not applicable to the
    real world.

    I'm now interested in the MCPD - WEB certification but Techskills dosen't
    have any courses for it. I posted a question awhile back on what the best
    route would be for this, but the only reply I got was someone asking for a
    braindump.

    I recently bought the .NET Framework Web Developer Training kit for around
    $100.00 and am about half way through the 70-536 book. From my studies at
    Techskills, I wasn't very happy with the Microsoft Press books, but so far
    the 70-536 book seems pretty good. I liked the Que/Preplogic books by Amit
    Kalani, but couldn't find any VS 2005 material by them either.

    Eric

    Eric de Jong, Feb 10, 2008
  5. Mark Edwards

    Mark Edwards Guest

    No cluons were harmed when Eric de Jong wrote:
    >Congratulations!

    Thank you.

    >I just finished the MCSD on 12/23. Start to finish, this
    >took me nearly two years.

    I managed in 10 months, so I don't feel so bad now (evil grin). I pretty
    much lost a month when my dad was dying.

    > I too used Techskills and found the 70-300 exam
    >to be the worst of the bunch

    I thought the 70-320 was worse - no prep tests, examples that were wrong
    and/or expired and "labs" that were only "read and understand".

    Although the 70-300 was indeed VERY boring, I thought the book was very
    well written. I didn't care much for the "seven testlets" format of the
    cert test, but I made it through somehow...

    >I'm now interested in the MCPD - WEB certification but Techskills
    >dosen't have any courses for it.

    I need to start looking as well. Maybe New Horizons has something? I'll
    probably work through the books without a class this time, saving untold
    thousands of dollars (grin) and just take the test when I'm done.

    I would love to find the upgrade material/tests/classes (553,554,etc) and
    go straight to that instead of taking three more tests. Does anyone here
    have sources for this?

    > I liked the Que/Preplogic books by Amit Kalani

    Likewise. Kahlani is a pretty decent writer, and I loved the large number
    of exercises.

    ..Good luck to you,
    Mark Edwards
    --
    Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

    Mark Edwards, Feb 10, 2008
  6. Mark Edwards

    Eric de Jong Guest

    Mark,

    > I managed in 10 months, so I don't feel so bad now (evil grin). I pretty
    > much lost a month when my dad was dying.

    Sorry about your father. My studies pretty much stopped for about 9 months
    during the period of time leading up to and after my wife gave birth to
    triplets in January 07. Nights with three hours of sleep while working full
    time isn't very conductive to studying.

    > I thought the 70-320 was worse - no prep tests, examples that were wrong
    > and/or expired and "labs" that were only "read and understand".

    I liked the 70-320 course. I had the same issue with the test preps so I
    had Techskills send me the test preps for the 70-310 test for VB.NET
    instead. I also found many examples where the test prep materials were
    outright wrong. Whenever I reported them, I'd get "extra points" for
    participation. Whoopee! Another anoying thing was when a question would
    require more than one answer, but you'd only be able to select one because
    the choices were presented with radio buttons instead of checkboxes.

    > I would love to find the upgrade material/tests/classes (553,554,etc) and
    > go straight to that instead of taking three more tests. Does anyone here
    > have sources for this?

    I thought about taking the 553, 554 route but couldn't find a single
    resource for these exams. From what I can tell on the Microsoft website,
    I'd need to study the materials for the 536, 528, 547 and a bunch of other
    exams to be able to take these. Since we mostly do web stuff at my shop, I
    decided it would be best to break my studies into smaller chuncks and just
    go for the MCPD Web certification for now. We really don't do desktop
    stuff, but if I change my mind, at least I'll have the Web and .NET 2.0
    Foundation stuff out of the way.

    Like I said before, I bought the training kit for the 70-536, 70-528 and
    70-547 for around $100 at amazon.com. I'm working through each chapter and
    example and will use the test preps that came with the materials. Since
    Techskills provided all the SelfTest Software MCSD test preps, I'll probably
    add the SelfTest MCPD exams to my collection too.

    By the way, where is your Techskills center located? Mine was in NJ.

    Eric de Jong, Feb 10, 2008
  7. Mark Edwards

    Mark Edwards Guest

    No cluons were harmed when Eric de Jong wrote:

    > My studies pretty much stopped for about 9 months during the period
    > of time leading up to and after my wife gave birth to triplets

    YIKES! Mine are all grown, but I had just one when I was in school, so I
    understand how ONE child can destroy your focus. I can't imagine THREE at
    once. Good luck!

    >I liked the 70-320 course. I had the same issue with the test preps so I
    >
    >had Techskills send me the test preps for the 70-310

    Yep, I did that. The week after, they had a real TestPrep for 320, though.
    I complained thoroughly through the feedback system, and I believe I pissed
    off quite a few people, as my mentor mentioned that I might want to be a
    little more circumspect in the future...

    >Another anoying thing was when a question would require more than
    > one answer, but you'd only be able to select one because the choices
    > were presented with radio buttons instead of checkboxes.

    Yep. 70-300 was full of those, asked for two choices when five were
    required, only offered one final when there were three to take and, really
    funny, scored my weeklies at 160 percent! I was really dissatisfied with
    the TestPreps for the 300. Heh - sounds like a movie - "Tonight, we test
    in... HELL!"

    >Since we mostly do web stuff at my shop, I decided it would be best to
    >break my studies into smaller chuncks and just go for the MCPD
    >Web certification for now.

    Sounds like a plan. We do a lot of mixed stuff - php, VB, convert files to
    databases, ASP.NET and soon a portal or two. I'm having a lot of fun at
    this place.

    >I bought the training kit for the 70-536, 70-528 and 70-547 for
    >around $100 at amazon.com.

    I just picked mine up at Barnes & Noble. I don't want to think about what
    I paid (grin). I may end up doing the 70-340 (security) and/or the 70-431
    (SQL Server 2005) before the 70-536, 70-528 and 70-547.

    >By the way, where is your Techskills center located? Mine was in NJ.

    I'm in the Dallas, Texas area.

    Mark Edwards
    --
    Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

    Mark Edwards, Feb 10, 2008
  8. Mark Edwards

    Jim Anderson Guest

    Congratulations Mark.

    The thing I found most frustrasting about the planning, envisioning (MSF)
    material is that I spent a ton of time studying it and there were not any
    questions on it on my exam.
    --
    Jim Anderson, MCSD
    Consultant