WooHoo!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Well, it took a while, but it worked!

    I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The (used)
    one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked if it was
    possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the motherboard didn't support
    it. But I didn't believe them, so I bought a 750MHz CPU on eBay (sealed in
    Dell's original package). It cost me less than half what others were selling
    for. So if it didn't work, I figured I'd just sell it myself.

    So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a PITA! I
    need better glasses...

    Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4 hours of
    bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new internal modem (one
    less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc. It looks/feels like new ;o)

    So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Toolman Tim

    just ask Guest

    So what you are telling the NET world is that a laptop is upgradable?
    Thanks for that information...Dell must want money that is why they say
    that.
    just ask, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Toolman Tim

    Yddap Guest

    In news:,
    Toolman Tim <> opined:
    > Well, it took a while, but it worked!
    >
    > I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The
    > (used) one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked
    > if it was possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the motherboard
    > didn't support it. But I didn't believe them, so I bought a 750MHz
    > CPU on eBay (sealed in Dell's original package). It cost me less than
    > half what others were selling for. So if it didn't work, I figured
    > I'd just sell it myself.
    >
    > So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a
    > PITA! I need better glasses...
    >
    > Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4
    > hours of bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new
    > internal modem (one less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc.
    > It looks/feels like new ;o)
    >
    > So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

    Which model of laptop ?
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply
    Yddap, Jun 12, 2004
  4. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    just ask wrote:
    > So what you are telling the NET world is that a laptop is upgradable?
    > Thanks for that information...Dell must want money that is why they
    > say that.

    Yeah - they probably would rather have sold me a new model.

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004
  5. Toolman Tim

    Rob K Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote :
    <snip>

    > So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

    Well done, teetee.
    Here in the low countries, Dell has somewhat of a marketing problem. In
    Dutch, "Del" = tart, and worse.

    :)

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yddap wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Toolman Tim <> opined:
    >> Well, it took a while, but it worked!
    >>
    >> I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The
    >> (used) one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked
    >> if it was possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the motherboard
    >> didn't support it.

    >> <snipped>

    >> So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

    > Which model of laptop ?

    This is an Inspiron 7500. They ran models from 400MHz Celeron (maybe less)
    to 750MHz PIII. This one was 500MHz, which was okay, but for $80
    (CPU/Modem/palm rest/touchpad) it's now maxed out and definately worth the
    $$.

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004
  7. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Rob K wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote :
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

    > Well done, teetee.
    > Here in the low countries, Dell has somewhat of a marketing problem.
    > In Dutch, "Del" = tart, and worse.
    >
    > :)

    Heh heh...that's good <g>

    Actually, for the most part, I've been fairly happy with Dell and their
    products. I just think the techie didn't want to bother selling used parts
    on a system that was almost 4 years old.

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004
  8. Toolman Tim

    Rob K Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote :
    <snip>

    > Actually, for the most part, I've been fairly happy with Dell and their
    > products. I just think the techie didn't want to bother selling used parts
    > on a system that was almost 4 years old.

    Similar experiences here.
    Generally there's not much wrong with their products. Well and properly
    packed, shipped, handled and all.
    Talking to a techie, ouch, that's always risky.

    :)

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Jun 12, 2004
  9. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Rob K wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote :
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Actually, for the most part, I've been fairly happy with Dell and
    >> their products. I just think the techie didn't want to bother
    >> selling used parts on a system that was almost 4 years old.

    > Similar experiences here.
    > Generally there's not much wrong with their products. Well and
    > properly packed, shipped, handled and all.
    > Talking to a techie, ouch, that's always risky.
    >
    > :)

    Yep. I was surprised, though. It was the same person who found a nice
    matched set CPU upgrades/memory for our seriously old server. Of course,
    I've never called tech support on the workstations or laptops. And *never*
    on problems that were obviously software related. But I have friends who say
    they've been good, others who hate 'em. Typical, huh!

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004
  10. Toolman Tim

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:23:05 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >Well, it took a while, but it worked!
    >
    >I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The (used)
    >one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked if it was
    >possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the motherboard didn't support
    >it. But I didn't believe them, so I bought a 750MHz CPU on eBay (sealed in
    >Dell's original package). It cost me less than half what others were selling
    >for. So if it didn't work, I figured I'd just sell it myself.
    >
    >So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a PITA! I
    >need better glasses...
    >
    >Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4 hours of
    >bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new internal modem (one
    >less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc. It looks/feels like new ;o)
    >
    >So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

    Sniff, sniff... You're lucky. Mine was soldered in...... :(
    Unk, Jun 12, 2004
  11. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Unk wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:23:05 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well, it took a while, but it worked!
    >>
    >> I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The
    >> (used) one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked
    >> if it was possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the
    >> motherboard didn't support it. But I didn't believe them, so I
    >> bought a 750MHz CPU on eBay (sealed in Dell's original package). It
    >> cost me less than half what others were selling for. So if it didn't
    >> work, I figured I'd just sell it myself.
    >>
    >> So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a
    >> PITA! I need better glasses...
    >>
    >> Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4
    >> hours of bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new
    >> internal modem (one less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc.
    >> It looks/feels like new ;o)
    >>
    >> So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

    > Sniff, sniff... You're lucky. Mine was soldered in...... :(

    Oh yeah - I know *that* problem. I have a (very very dead) Gateway Solo
    laptop here with a 550MHz Celeron assembled right to the mobo as well.
    Dang - so is the memory. And the video. I can't even test the LCD to see if
    it's working. I might toss the whole thing up on eBay for someone to play
    with. But I'm *not* going to tell them that nothing can be unplugged <g>

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004
  12. Toolman Tim

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Well, it took a while, but it worked!
    >
    > I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The (used)
    > one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked if it was
    > possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the motherboard didn't support
    > it. But I didn't believe them, so I bought a 750MHz CPU on eBay (sealed in
    > Dell's original package). It cost me less than half what others were

    selling
    > for. So if it didn't work, I figured I'd just sell it myself.
    >
    > So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a PITA! I
    > need better glasses...
    >
    > Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4 hours

    of
    > bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new internal modem

    (one
    > less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc. It looks/feels like new

    ;o)

    > So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

    i did the same to my aging 7500 inspiron cel 466. replaced the cpu with a
    750.
    i had to update the bios so the speed step recognized the higher speed. it
    defaulted to something like 500 without the bios update. it was also finicky
    with certain memory modules.

    also replaced the cd with a dvd. it was easy removing the cd player housing.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Jun 12, 2004
  13. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    127.0.0.1 wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, it took a while, but it worked!
    >>
    >> I replaced my laptop this Feb. because the old one was stolen. The
    >> (used) one I bought was 500MHz PIII, and I contacted Dell and asked
    >> if it was possible to upgrade the CPU. They said no - the
    >> motherboard didn't support it. But I didn't believe them, so I
    >> bought a 750MHz CPU on eBay (sealed in Dell's original package). It
    >> cost me less than half what others were selling for. So if it didn't
    >> work, I figured I'd just sell it myself.
    >>
    >> So yesterday I sat down and stripped this thing apart. Boy, what a
    >> PITA! I need better glasses...
    >>
    >> Anyway, in spite of dropping parts, things not working right, and 4
    >> hours of bad language, it's back together...at 750MHz, with a new
    >> internal modem (one less card to carry!) and touchpad/palmrest, etc.
    >> It looks/feels like new ;o)
    >>
    >> So, don't always believe what Dell tells you <g>

    > i did the same to my aging 7500 inspiron cel 466. replaced the cpu
    > with a 750.
    > i had to update the bios so the speed step recognized the higher
    > speed. it defaulted to something like 500 without the bios update. it
    > was also finicky with certain memory modules.
    >
    > also replaced the cd with a dvd. it was easy removing the cd player
    > housing.

    Yep - an oldie but goodie! I had the BIOS updated already. And with 512 megs
    of RAM, it is really nice. I have a DVD/floppy, and a CDRW/floppy. I want to
    buy one of the DVD/CDRW drives on eBay, but they're about $100 plus
    shipping. So it may be a while. Then I'll sell the old parts and get some of
    the money back. But I won't have to carry that extra drive around.

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004
  14. Toolman Tim

    Kenny Guest

    it took courage to open the laptop and do that upgrade!

    Good for you!

    --

    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    _____________

    ---

    Kenny, Jun 12, 2004
  15. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I've worked on desktops for 20+ years - actually before IBM sold their first
    PC. But laptops...boy - now THAT was an experience <g>! Today, I pull out
    the 10G HD and put in the extra 40G I've had sitting around...long job, but
    well worth it when I'm done. Right now, the system is being backed up as I
    catch up on the news.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004