    constant downline stream of data, but nothing going out. I
    uninstalled WinAmp, but it made no difference. How do it stop this
    downsteam of data? I can block all traffic, but that's no good.
    Al Smith, Apr 19, 2007

  2. Al Smith

    Sebastian G Guest

    Al Smith wrote:

    > I tried connecting to an audio radio stream at
    > "scfire-nyk01-2.stream.aol.com" using WinAmp, and now the
    > downloading to my computer won't stop. Sygate is showing a
    > constant downline stream of data, but nothing going out. I
    > uninstalled WinAmp, but it made no difference.

    "Sygate" as in "Sygate Personal Firewall"? Then you really shouldn't wonder
    about a broken network.

    > How do it stop this downsteam of data?

    Ehm... tell the server that you don't wont to receive this stream any
    longer? After all, it was also you who requested this stream in first place.

    > I can block all traffic, but that's no good.

    *psychic debugging mode on*

    WinAmp actually wanted to send a transfer abort request, but your broken
    piece of shit ^W^W^W "personal firewall" blocked this. Thus this "blocking"
    initially brought you into this situation and won't let you resolve it.

    Even further, you computer would normally respond with an ICMP Destination
    Unreachable, which would tell the server to timeout your subscription to the
    stream. Again, it seems like you're blocking this as well.
    Sebastian G, Apr 19, 2007

  3. Al Smith

    Al Smith Guest

    > Al Smith wrote:
    >
    >> I tried connecting to an audio radio stream at "scfire-nyk01-2.stream.aol.com" using WinAmp, and now the downloading to my computer won't stop. Sygate is showing a constant downline stream of data, but nothing going out. I uninstalled WinAmp, but it made no difference.

    > "Sygate" as in "Sygate Personal Firewall"? Then you really shouldn't wonder about a broken network.
    >
    >> How do it stop this downsteam of data?

    > Ehm... tell the server that you don't wont to receive this stream any longer? After all, it was also you who requested this stream in first place.
    >
    >> I can block all traffic, but that's no good.

    > *psychic debugging mode on*
    >
    > WinAmp actually wanted to send a transfer abort request, but your broken piece of shit ^W^W^W "personal firewall" blocked this. Thus this "blocking" initially brought you into this situation and won't let you resolve it.
    >
    > Even further, you computer would normally respond with an ICMP Destination Unreachable, which would tell the server to timeout your subscription to the stream. Again, it seems like you're blocking this as well.

    Well, problem solved with some fiddling. I uninstalled Sygate and
    installed ZoneAlarm. I think in the process, the need to
    reestablish my IP address cut off the stream (I guess because it
    no longer knew how to get to me). Somewhere out there in
    cyberspace, there's a data stream with my name on it.

    But it was weird, having a constant stream of data coming to my
    computer, even with nothing running but the firewall. Not blocked
    by the firewall, either. Where it went, who knows? Into some great
    data cache in the sky, maybe. I won't be using WinAmp to stream
    anything in future.
    Al Smith, Apr 19, 2007
  4. Al Smith

    Sebastian G Guest

    Al Smith wrote:

    > Well, problem solved with some fiddling. I uninstalled Sygate and
    > installed ZoneAlarm.

    "ZoneAlarm" as in "Zone Alarm"? Wonderful, now your network is broken again!

    > I think in the process, the need to

    > reestablish my IP address cut off the stream (I guess because it
    > no longer knew how to get to me).

    So you didn't adhere to a static IP address? What was you problem again?

    > But it was weird, having a constant stream of data coming to my
    > computer,

    Why should this be weird?

    > I won't be using WinAmp to stream anything in future.

    Why not? It wasn't WinAmp's fault, it was your fault. You broke the network,
    you denied WinAmp from unsubscribing as a receiver of the stream, and you
    even denied the server to recognize that you don't want this stream any longer.

    BTW: Format-Flowed doesn't free you from the necessity to insert linebreaks.
    And please stop dropping all your bounces on the owner of the domain
    address.com!
    Sebastian G, Apr 19, 2007