    It's like it has a short to the power supply
    Any ideas
    thanks

    hunty, Jun 4, 2006

  2. hunty

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "hunty" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I cant shut off my computer.
    > The button wont shut off
    > so i have to unplug it
    > Then it tries to start by it self but just the button lights up
    > It's a e machine
    > It's like it has a short to the power supply
    > Any ideas
    > thanks

    Do you mean the power button doesn't ever do anything? Does Shutdown in
    Windows work correctly?

    Rich Wilson, Jun 4, 2006

  3. hunty

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    hunty spewed forth:
    > I cant shut off my computer.
    > The button wont shut off
    > so i have to unplug it
    > Then it tries to start by it self but just the button lights up
    > It's a e machine
    > It's like it has a short to the power supply
    > Any ideas
    > thanks

    Stop pulling the plug. You need to shut down with the Windows menu option
    for shutting down. If you don't, you are risking serious damage to your
    data.

    If your system is not shutting down with the menu, you need to get Windows
    fixed so that it shuts down correctly.

    The ONLY time you should use the power switch to shut down is if the system
    has locked up and quit responding. In that case, holding the power switch in
    for about 5 seconds should cause it to shut off.

    But you really need to fix the problem shutting down.

    --
    I always finish what I sta

    Toolman Tim, Jun 4, 2006
  4. hunty

    hunty Guest

    The computer will not even start up
    The monitor wont display anything
    Thanks

    hunty, Jun 4, 2006
  5. hunty

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    hunty spewed forth:

    > I cant shut off my computer.
    > The button wont shut off
    > so i have to unplug it
    > Then it tries to start by it self but just the button lights up
    > It's a e machine
    > It's like it has a short to the power supply
    >
    > The computer will not even start up
    > The monitor wont display anything
    > Thanks

    If the lights are coming on, the PS is probably not at fault. You should
    open the case, get all the dust-bunnies out. Clean out the fans and
    heatsinks with a can of compressed air. Remove EVERYTHING that can be
    removed - cards, memory, etc. Unplug everything and plug it back in (helps
    if there are loose/dirty connections). Replace the memory. Replace the video
    card (if it was a removable one). Leave everything else out (no hard drive,
    no CD drive, etc.). Power up and see if it starts. If it does, shut off and
    replace any other parts one at a time, making sure it starts each time.

    If it doesn't start with the minimum stuff attached, it's the motherboard,
    CPU, memory, video or possibly still the power supply. (Power supplies
    provide multiple voltages - just because one is working doesn't mean the
    others are.)

    --
    I always finish what I sta

    Toolman Tim, Jun 4, 2006