    1. fix the above issues
    2. transfer data from old to new
    Thanks

    Fred Gozinya, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Fred Gozinya

    Alex Devlin Guest

    On 29 Feb 2004, Fred Gozinya wrote:

    > Curious as to opinions on the following dilemma. I have an old P2
    > desktop with win 98 that has sat idle for months. I recently attempted
    > to start it up in an effort to transfer data to my new laptop.
    > Unfortunately, it will no longer recognize the mouse or keyboard. I
    > have attempted to re-install 98 with no luck. How can I:
    > 1. fix the above issues
    > 2. transfer data from old to new
    > Thanks

    1. Unplug the keyboard and mouse and make sure the contacts are clean. Just
    plugging them back in may fix this. Try a known working keyboard and mouse
    to find out if it's them or the connectors/motherboard.

    2. Take the drive/s out of the old PC and hook them up to another one as a
    slave drive then take off what you need.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    Good friends will bail you out of jail...
    ... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
    fun!"

    Alex Devlin, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Fred Gozinya

    slick Guest

    Un-hook, re-hook keyboard/mouse and if no luck, then investigate BIOS
    settings. Perhaps, try looking in the BIOS setup (press F2 or similar at
    startup) and poke around and look for "PS/2 enabled" or similar. Make sure
    it is enabled. If it is, it is likely you need to replace the mobo or card
    they hook into.

    slick, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Fred Gozinya

    Alex Devlin Guest

    On 01 Mar 2004, slick wrote:

    > Un-hook, re-hook keyboard/mouse and if no luck, then investigate
    > BIOS
    > settings. Perhaps, try looking in the BIOS setup (press F2 or similar
    > at startup) and poke around and look for "PS/2 enabled" or similar.

    Er, how can he press F2 if the keyboard isn't detected? :)

    Alex Devlin, Mar 2, 2004
  5. Fred Gozinya

    Fred Gozinya Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:35:23 GMT, Alex Devlin <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >On 01 Mar 2004, slick wrote:
    >
    >> Un-hook, re-hook keyboard/mouse and if no luck, then investigate
    >> BIOS
    >> settings. Perhaps, try looking in the BIOS setup (press F2 or similar
    >> at startup) and poke around and look for "PS/2 enabled" or similar.

    >Er, how can he press F2 if the keyboard isn't detected? :)

    agreed, could part of the issue be that the keyboard is wireless, and
    thus re-installing windows erased the software that supports the
    keyboard (still doesn't explain why the mice wont work)? Having said
    this, how do I hook up a desktop hard drive to a new laptop?

    Fred Gozinya, Mar 2, 2004