Won't Connect To Preferred Networks Using Wi-Fi Policy

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ben, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Hi,

    I've been setting up and configuring our new wireless access point (3com
    OfficeConnect). As we have newer wi-fi cards and some older wi-fi cards we
    need to use both AES & TKIP. I have managed to get it working with WPA/TKIP
    & WPA2/AES. As Wi-Fi Group Policy only let you specify TKIP _OR_ AES not
    both, the AP lets you define multiple SSIDs and security policies, so I have
    SID001 with WPA2 and AES and SID002 with WPA and TKIP.

    Configuring a laptop manually I can connect to both SSIDs using both types
    of security. However as we have so many laptops, I have configured a
    wireless group policy. In here I have 1 policy called Company Wi-Fi, with
    the preferred networks, 1st is SID001 - WPA2/AES, 2nd is SID002 - WPA/TKIP.
    This way, the clients should try the 1st preferred network, then if they
    don't support AES fall back to TKIP. Now here comes the strange bit, if I
    uncheck 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks' (as we don't want
    users laptops connecting to unauthorised networks with out their knowledge),
    apply the policy to a laptop, reboot, the laptop will NOT connect to either
    of the networks defined in the group policy, however if I check
    'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks' apply the policy, reboot,
    and try again, the laptop will pick up SID001 and connect without problem.

    Why is this happening? unchecking 'Automatically connect to non-preferred
    networks' should stop it from connecting to preferred networks should it?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Ben
    Ben, Jan 12, 2006