Won't come out of standby?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenny, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Posted this problem some time ago but it was never resolved, trying again.
    PC appears to be coming out of Standby, there's HDD activity and the green
    On LED is lit but nothing appears on the screen.
    Normal Startup, Shutdown, Restart & Hibernate all working OK.
    Things I have tried so far include:
    Different monitor.
    Both XP and Samsung driver for SyncMaster 940BF 19" TFT.
    Both the original and latest nVidia Forceware drivers for graphics card, a
    Club 3D
    GeForce 6600.
    Both the original and most recent chipset drivers for m/b which is a
    Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939.
    Flashed the BIOS.
    Formatted and re-installed XP Pro/SP2 twice and that appears to fix it but
    the fault seems to creep back in, it doesn't appear suddenly.
    Am I looking at maybe a failing m/b or graphics card?
    No problems showing in Device Manager and Event Viewer shows nothing
    unusual.
    Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

    Kenny
    Kenny, Mar 6, 2007

  2. Kenny

    meerkat Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > Posted this problem some time ago but it was never resolved, trying again.
    > PC appears to be coming out of Standby, there's HDD activity and the green
    > On LED is lit but nothing appears on the screen.
    > Normal Startup, Shutdown, Restart & Hibernate all working OK.
    > Things I have tried so far include:
    > Different monitor.
    > Both XP and Samsung driver for SyncMaster 940BF 19" TFT.
    > Both the original and latest nVidia Forceware drivers for graphics card, a
    > Club 3D
    > GeForce 6600.
    > Both the original and most recent chipset drivers for m/b which is a
    > Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939.
    > Flashed the BIOS.
    > Formatted and re-installed XP Pro/SP2 twice and that appears to fix it but
    > the fault seems to creep back in, it doesn't appear suddenly.
    > Am I looking at maybe a failing m/b or graphics card?
    > No problems showing in Device Manager and Event Viewer shows nothing
    > unusual.
    > Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

    1. Check the Event Viewer for any errors.
    2. System Restore to a previous time.

    It could well be an update, or other machine change
    that caused this.
    meerkat, Mar 6, 2007

  3. Kenny

    geothermal Guest

    On Mar 6, 12:30 am, "Kenny" <> wrote:
    > Posted this problem some time ago but it was never resolved, trying again.
    > PC appears to be coming out of Standby, there's HDD activity and the green
    > On LED is lit but nothing appears on the screen.
    > Normal Startup, Shutdown, Restart & Hibernate all working OK.
    > Any suggestions or advice appreciated.
    > Kenny

    Yo, do the sensible thing and stop using the most stupid invention
    ever.... "Standby".
    Just pay the flippin extra 25 cents in electricity and leave the damn
    thing on all the time or use hibernate like you can do. Yer wasting
    your life troubleshooting this when you could be out having fun.
    Whatever fun currently is for you. (^: You only live once. FYI.

    geothermal
    geothermal, Mar 6, 2007
  4. Agree... Disable standy. Sounds like a power issue with your hardware.

    PC Tech Solutions
    http://pctech-solutions.com

    PC Tech Solutions, Mar 6, 2007
  5. Kenny

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > On Mar 6, 12:30 am, "Kenny" <> wrote:
    >> Posted this problem some time ago but it was never resolved, trying
    >> again.
    >> PC appears to be coming out of Standby, there's HDD activity and the
    >> green
    >> On LED is lit but nothing appears on the screen.
    >> Normal Startup, Shutdown, Restart & Hibernate all working OK.
    >> Any suggestions or advice appreciated.
    >> Kenny

    > Yo, do the sensible thing and stop using the most stupid invention
    > ever.... "Standby".
    > Just pay the flippin extra 25 cents in electricity and leave the damn
    > thing on all the time or use hibernate like you can do. Yer wasting
    > your life troubleshooting this when you could be out having fun.
    > Whatever fun currently is for you. (^: You only live once. FYI.
    >
    > geothermal

    Most reasonable suggestion I heard all year <g>
    WhzzKdd, Mar 7, 2007